Get the Lasagna in the Dining Room

That stuff is so good. It's basically regular lasagna with like an alfredo cream sauce type thing on top. It is so good and unique. Best thing i had in the dining room by far.

Got it from room service one night on oasis a couple weeks ago....I commented on how good it was....it was the same they had at Giovanni's.

Got it from room service one night on oasis a couple weeks ago....I commented on how good it was....it was the same they had at Giovanni's.

Yeah, it's in the new cookbook they have, the tan one. I think that's one of the only reasons my mom bought the cookbook is because it was in there and my dad and i said how good it was.

Is it on the room service menu on Oasis??

Steve was in a full suite. You can order anything from the dining room menus for room service.

Gordon is correct....I can't remember if it was a regular room service menu item or not.

Yeah, it's in the new cookbook they have, the tan one. I think that's one of the only reasons my mom bought the cookbook is because it was in there and my dad and i said how good it was.

I'd love to have that recipe. I thought it was the best thing I had all week.

Here's the recipe:

1T vegetable oil

1 26 oz package lasagna pasta

4 oz grated parmesan cheese

4 oz shredded monterey cheese

meat sauce

1T extra virgin olive oil

2 medium yellow onions, diced

2 cloves garlic, diced

1 pound lean ground beef or turkey

1T tomato paste

1/4 c red wine

1 16 oz can of chopped tomato

1 c water

1/2 t sugar

2T herbes de provence

salt and ground black pepper

white sauce

1/3 c butter

1/3 c all-purpose flour

1 t ground nutmeg

1 t salt

2 c warm milk

garnish

basil

Preheat oven to 350

Boil lasagna, drain and lay on wax paper to avoid stcikiness.

For meat sauce, warm oil and saute onions for 5 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Add meat and cook for 6-8 minutes or until meat begins to brown. Stir in tomato paste and deglaze with wine. Add chopped tomatoes, water, sugar and herbs and mix well. Season with salt and pepper, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

For white sauce, in small saucepan over low heat, melt butter and whisk in flour, nutmeg and salt. Cook roux for 2 minutes then slowly incorporate milk, stirring constantly for 5 -6 minutes or until smooth and thickened.

Mix cheeses in small glass or stainless steel bowl.

To build lasagna, pour 2 - 3 T of meat sauce in 9 X 13 pan, top with a layer of pasta, a layer of white sauce, a layer of meat sauce and sprinkle with cheese mix. Repeat twice ending with cheese.

Bake for 30 minutes and serve in warmed plates, garnished with julienned basil. Enjoy.

That stuff is so good. It's basically regular lasagna with like an alfredo cream sauce type thing on top. It is so good and unique. Best thing i had in the dining room by far.

You must of grown up with the same lasagna I did ... which is made with tomato sauce. :D I thought that is how everyone made it ... years later I found a group of people who didn't know others made it with tomato sauce and they thought the bechamel (white sauce ... "alfredo sauce") was the only way it was made.

:p I guess I might be the only one who gets amused by that kind of stuff!!

This sounds amazing! I'll have to get hubby to order it when we're on the Oasis. My stomach + cheese are not good friends, but I can probably tolerate a bite or two without serious consequences...can't wait to indulge in a taste!

You must of grown up with the same lasagna I did ... which is made with tomato sauce. :D I thought that is how everyone made it ... years later I found a group of people who didn't know others made it with tomato sauce and they thought the bechamel (white sauce ... "alfredo sauce") was the only way it was made.

:p I guess I might be the only one who gets amused by that kind of stuff!!

This is how Europeans make lasagna - with bechamel and tomato/meat sauce. I prefer it to the American version I grew up with, which was made with tomato/meat sauce and a mixture of ricotta and mozarella cheeses. I think it's lighter and if you use skimmed or 2% milk to make the bechamel you can cut the calories even further.

ETA: They don't use jack cheese, though.

You can order items from room service that are on that night's menu whether you are in a Suite or not. On Explorer last month it was between the hours of 6:30 and 9:00.

Tim

True. Only certain items are available for room service menu. Suites can order whatever is on the menu with no restrictions.

Here's the recipe:

1T vegetable oil

1 26 oz package lasagna pasta

4 oz grated parmesan cheese

4 oz shredded monterey cheese

meat sauce

1T extra virgin olive oil

2 medium yellow onions, diced

2 cloves garlic, diced

1 pound lean ground beef or turkey

1T tomato paste

1/4 c red wine

1 16 oz can of chopped tomato

1 c water

1/2 t sugar

2T herbes de provence

salt and ground black pepper

white sauce

1/3 c butter

1/3 c all-purpose flour

1 t ground nutmeg

1 t salt

2 c warm milk

garnish

basil

Preheat oven to 350

Boil lasagna, drain and lay on wax paper to avoid stcikiness.

For meat sauce, warm oil and saute onions for 5 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Add meat and cook for 6-8 minutes or until meat begins to brown. Stir in tomato paste and deglaze with wine. Add chopped tomatoes, water, sugar and herbs and mix well. Season with salt and pepper, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

For white sauce, in small saucepan over low heat, melt butter and whisk in flour, nutmeg and salt. Cook roux for 2 minutes then slowly incorporate milk, stirring constantly for 5 -6 minutes or until smooth and thickened.

Mix cheeses in small glass or stainless steel bowl.

To build lasagna, pour 2 - 3 T of meat sauce in 9 X 13 pan, top with a layer of pasta, a layer of white sauce, a layer of meat sauce and sprinkle with cheese mix. Repeat twice ending with cheese.

Bake for 30 minutes and serve in warmed plates, garnished with julienned basil. Enjoy.

Sounds Delicious. Do you know if they also serve it vegetarian style as well?

What worries me is the monterey jack cheese (which should never be in an Italian dish) and the quality of the ground beef (which based on RCI's other meat dishes I would be suspicious). My wife is Italian and as a rule I would not order anything like this when we are out.

If you enjoy it great!

I had the lasagna on my very first cruise in the main dining room for lunch on a sea day. It was so good. To this day it was the best lasagna I have ever ordered. My husband ordered a sandwich that day and was not happy. LOL!

True. Only certain items are available for room service menu. Suites can order whatever is on the menu with no restrictions.

During those hours, ANY ITEM from the main menu can be ordered from any catagory cabin. Yes, they are restricted to those hours but ANYTHING can be gotten during that period.

Tim

During those hours, ANY ITEM from the main menu can be ordered from any catagory cabin. Yes, they are restricted to those hours but ANYTHING can be gotten during that period.

Tim

That is new. There have been recent comments from some that have tried to order things like lobster and escargot and were turned down.

In all my past cruises in the last few years, you could order most, but not all, items from the MDR menu at night while the dining room was open. The menu for room service dinner is on the interactive TV every day. Suites can order any items including filet and lobster.

Archived