Help please!!

Cristallo

My DH and I are trying to plan a cruise to the Eastern Caribbean in either April or October 2012. We've been flip flopping between CCL and X. We've only taken one cruise before on the Fascination. We both enjoyed it other then the ship seemed small. DH is more inclined for actives and prefer service and relaxing.

My question is for those of you who have traveled on both which did you like more and why?

The difference can be night and day. It also depends on the ship within each line. Overall, you will find a different demographic on Celebrity. Carnival is definately a more relaxed, casual, party atmosphere while most Celebrity ships tend to be more formal.

My DH and I are trying to plan a cruise to the Eastern Caribbean in either April or October 2012. We've been flip flopping between CCL and X. We've only taken one cruise before on the Fascination. We both enjoyed it other then the ship seemed small. DH is more inclined for actives and prefer service and relaxing.

My question is for those of you who have traveled on both which did you like more and why?

Have you considered Royal Caribbean? It's the best of both worlds. I love them!

Where in Florida do you live? I'm in St Augustine.

Have you considered Royal Caribbean? It's the best of both worlds. I love them!

Where in Florida do you live? I'm in St Augustine.

We looked at RCCL but none of the ships have a stop in San Juan which is a priority for us(I used to live there and want to show it to DH). And we're in Jacksonville:).

We would highly recommend Celebrity over CCL, but then depending on your age, you may enjoy CCL better. Celebrity can't be beat as far as food & service, but they don't have the "party" atmosphere that CCL has. :D

Go in April...next to 0 chance of hurricanes disrupting your itinerary. And it's nice and warm...you 'll get a headstart on your tan for the summer!

I guess I should clarify I wanted to know the difference in the cruise lines as opposed to the month.

After 9 cruises with Carnival, I'm still waiting for that so called "Party Atmosphere".

Do I enjoy my cruises with CCL? Yes Would I recommend CCL? Yes

Have I experienced the so called MTV Spring Break party that people allude to? Not even close

All of the mainline cruiselines, whether it be RCCL, CCL, HAL, or Celebrity are more alike than different.

No matter your choice, you'll love your cruise.

I suggest you spend a little time reading the Celebrity section of Cruise Critic as well as the Carnival section...... and any other that might interest you.

You can learn a lot reading the various forums.

Have fun.

I suggest you spend a little time reading the Celebrity section of Cruise Critic as well as the Carnival section...... and any other that might interest you.

You can learn a lot reading the various forums.

Have fun.

I've been a member for over a year and have read a LOT of reviews. I wanted a simple reply to my question. I don't feel like reading thousands of threads where people post 20 pictures of their kids and what dod they had.

Well - I can appreciate your not wanting to read all those threads but 7seas is right, you really can learn a lot from threads. The short answer to your question for me is Celebrity. You'll notice a trend here already on THIS thread that Celebrity seems to win the majority....nicer ships, more elegant, food is better, service is better - doesn't feel like a Cattle Call. I did not think it felt more "formal" as some state. Just nicer. And although you can set your expectation based on a cruise LINE, everything changes ship to ship. By far, the nicest ships at sea today are the Solstice Class Celebrity Ships. Period. You can not go wrong with the Solstice Class - cruising will never be the same for you once you try one of those ships. If you drop down to the older Millenium Class, find one that has been Solsticized. I believe the Constellation has already gone through the $50 million rehab. All four ships in the Millenium Class WILL get Solsticized. If I went on one of those, I would make sure it had the Solstice rehab first. Better yet - would just take a Solstice Class ship. Much good luck with your planning.

Well - I can appreciate your not wanting to read all those threads but 7seas is right, you really can learn a lot from threads. The short answer to your question for me is Celebrity. You'll notice a trend here already on THIS thread that Celebrity seems to win the majority....nicer ships, more elegant, food is better, service is better - doesn't feel like a Cattle Call. I did not think it felt more "formal" as some state. Just nicer. And although you can set your expectation based on a cruise LINE, everything changes ship to ship. By far, the nicest ships at sea today are the Solstice Class Celebrity Ships. Period. You can not go wrong with the Solstice Class - cruising will never be the same for you once you try one of those ships. If you drop down to the older Millenium Class, find one that has been Solsticized. I believe the Constellation has already gone through the $50 million rehab. All four ships in the Millenium Class WILL get Solsticized. If I went on one of those, I would make sure it had the Solstice rehab first. Better yet - would just take a Solstice Class ship. Much good luck with your planning.

Thank you for your answer. I just wanted people's opinions plain and simple. I'm not a fan of wasting my time reading a review on a line and then decide on cruising on the other line.

We looked at RCCL but none of the ships have a stop in San Juan which is a priority for us(I used to live there and want to show it to DH). And we're in Jacksonville:).

Check again. There are 4 sailings from San Juan in April 2012. 2 on the Adventure and 2 on Serenade. As the cruise starts in San Juan, you can have either a "pre" of "post" couple of days to show DH around the island, instead of just a couple of hours in San Juan.

Check again. There are 4 sailings from San Juan in April 2012. 2 on the Adventure and 2 on Serenade. As the cruise starts in San Juan, you can have either a "pre" of "post" couple of days to show DH around the island, instead of just a couple of hours in San Juan.

We looked at them but we'd rather just drive to Miami since we live in state.

:)RCL is the way to go.. Been on 8 cruises.. 2 Carnival ( which I wont sale on again unless its free) 1 NCL and the rest on RCL.. most recent one this past January on the Allure! My husband and I had an awesome time.. nothing better then a huge/new ship.. Looking to book the Epic next year... you should consider RC

You may want to look at the Carnival Freedom out of Ft Lauderdale. I believe it has an itinerary that includes San Juan, and it would be a newer/larger/more modern version of Carnival than you experienced in the past. :)

ETA: I took a peek, there are some cruises on Freedom that go to San Juan, but not during the months you are considering. But, another ship to consider if you are willing to look at different months.

:)RCL is the way to go.. Been on 8 cruises.. 2 Carnival ( which I wont sale on again unless its free) 1 NCL and the rest on RCL.. most recent one this past January on the Allure! My husband and I had an awesome time.. nothing better then a huge/new ship.. Looking to book the Epic next year... you should consider RC

We're not interested in RCCL at this time.

I have traveled both lines as well as others. I don't know how anyone can relax on a Carnival cruise with all the loud announcements and games. Plus I have found it to be confusing getting around Carnival ships and they seem so crowded. My vote goes to Celebrity hands down!

Archived