Whittier Alaska: how to get from ship to airport?

Wiblet

We're arriving in Whittier in the wee hours of Saturday July 16, and our return flight from the Anchorage airport doesn't leave until 5 PM. We'll have our grandkids, 11 and 13, in tow. We can't seem to find the time by which we must leave the ship, but I'm assuming something like 10 AM? The airport is some distance away, but the Princess transfer price of $50+ pp to ride the bus is outrageous! We'd like to rent a car (also outrageously expensive for one day) so that we could at least spend the several hours' wait doing something other than sitting at the airport. However, we can't even find where to pick up a car or how to get there if it's not at the pier. Avis is about the only vendor willing to rent for a day but the people available on the phone know nothing about this location. Any experience or suggestions would be so helpful--thanks

We did a Carnival cruise a few years ago that ended in Whittier and arranged transfer with Alaskan Leopard Comedy Tour. They provided transfer to Anchorage with a couple of sightseeing stops along the way which made a very enjoyable trip. They arrange their time based on the tunnel schedule. There is absolutely nothing in Whittier - you have to have some transportation pre-arranged or you will be required to take the ship's transfer (that's the way it was with Carnival - not sure about with Princess) At that time, there was only 1 rental car company in the town (don't remember which one) but the one way rental rate was extremely high.

Yes, the Anchorage airport is quite some distance away. I had ship's air and transfer many years ago but the opposite direction N to S than you are doing so I can't address it well, but I'll tell you what I know based on 6 years ago.

I also looked into private transportation (because I wanted to do some stuff in Seward) and there was almost nothing. Perhaps someone who lives in Whittier or Anchorage will read this and tell you of some private taxi (van in your case) that will do it, and perhaps offering some excursion of the area, or Anchorage. It will be expensive however, because such driver would have to charge for his own return to Whittier or wherever he lives.

What I remember is that the bus trip took several hours, requiring a bathroom break half way there. There was commentary about the history/geology etc. all the way, so it was like an excursion, really.

Some transfers from Seward, I know, for other cruise lines, have a train transfer for about the same price, and with different views (I've read they are the best!) I do not know if the train goes to Whittier, too. And at the time there was only the one departure time. Same for leaving Anchorage at the crack of dawn unless you are on the ship's bus/train.

One plan, had you not already booked airfare for same day as disembarkation, might be to get from Whittier to Seward where there is a wonderful maritime museum, and also the Kenai Fjords US Park Service half day cruise (not sure that could be worked in on the one day you have to kill, though).

I think the constant problem is that transportation associated with the cruise line leaves ONLY on disembarkation day.

I wish you better luck than I had. There are more people reading cruise critic now, so someone will undoubtedly know more. I'm responding in order to keep your post on the first page. It is a dilemma that needs to be solved quickly since it's less than 3 weeks to your departure.

And yes, most car rental agencies will not do a one way rental, and I understand the price is quite high for the one who will do so. But is it really higher than the $50 pp rate for the ship's bus/train transfer?

This transportation problem to or from such distant ports needs to be addressed before one books a cruise, I think, by the travel agency or cruise line itself so that the passengers will realize the added cost, needing to add airfare, cruise AND transfer to get a realistic idea of what the per person rate really is. A low fare of say $399 per person for the cruise sounds great until you find out how much the airfare is, and the transfer as well (or car rental). It is very different from doing it yourself from Miami, say!

Does Princess offer a transfer that includes more than transportation from the ship to airport, like a tour of ANchorage as well for a few more dollars?

Wiblet,

We went on the Island Princess from Vancouver to Whittier last summer. We disembarked around 9 "ish" and had booked a transfer from Whittier to the airport in Anchorage with Alaska Transportation Company. They have a website and a toll free number to book a reservation. It was a coach bus and was about half the price of a Princess transfer. They were waiting at the port and it was easy. They narrated as we traveled from Whittier to Anchorage (it takes about an hour to get to Anchorage from Whittier). At the airport we rented a car (we did not fly out of Anchorage until midnight!) The car rental cost an obscene amount for one day, but we figured it was worth it to have it for the day to do some more sightseeing. We actually had a friend who lives in Anchorage that we met up with for dinner and we had a very enjoyable day in Anchorage.

I took the Princess transfer WITH TOUR, which was a half day tour, stopping several places that included a cable car ride at Alyeska. the Bus let us off at the Egan Center (convention center) in downtown Anchorage, within walking distance to a mall and park. The had free wifi at the center. Shuttle buses to airport every 30 minutes. Your luggage goes directly to the center, and when you get there you can check your carryons if you want to go out. EM

With your group, rent a car. Avis is the only rental and walkable from the ship. Who are you "calling" that doesn't know where they are located?? All you have to do is call direct, or Anchorage. I do not recommend you get involved in any of the above "tours" as they are too restrictive and not the right timing.

You can start disembarking around 6am, so I would be off the ship, way before your posted "10am". You have an excellent opportunity to have a full day of interesting touring. Whittier to Anchorage is only 1 1/4 hour. I would suggest you consider getting out the 9am tunnel. Avis opens at 8am. Hopefully, the renter has no mobility issues?

Forget about the "high" costs of the car rental, and look at it in terms of what it "buys" you, making far better use of your time.

There are many places to go- Portage Glacier visitor center, Alaska Wildlife Conservatory. Eagle River Nature Center, Hatcher Pass/Independence Mine, Girdwood Alyeska tram, etc etc etc etc.

Then just drive yourself to the airport. You need a two hour window, especially on cruiseship days.

• 1 year later...

I just talked to Avis.... A one way minivan Whittier to Anchorage is $350 with taxes and fees included. Makes me sick, but we have 5 people & a red-eye flight home, so I may bite the bullet and do it.

But - you cannot reserve it off the website, or on the phone.... they need to take your request, and confirm 3 days later.

I just talked to Avis.... A one way minivan Whittier to Anchorage is $350 with taxes and fees included. Makes me sick, but we have 5 people & a red-eye flight home, so I may bite the bullet and do it.

But - you cannot reserve it off the website, or on the phone.... they need to take your request, and confirm 3 days later.

Since one-way drop off fees are so high, here's an option to consider. Anchorage is only 1 hr away, so have 1 driver take a transfer or bus into Anchorage, pick up a car, then drive back to Whittier to pick up the rest of your group. The group can have a leisurely b'fast, disembark, hang out at the harbor until the driver returns. Just be mindful of the hours of operation for the Anton Anderson tunnel as it's only open once an hr in each direction.

A round trip rental from Anchorage will save you a bundle ! Then you can all enjoy a drive along the Turnagain Arm ... pan for gold, visit the Wildlife Conservation Center, look for mountain goats on the ridge, etc. Suggested stops in this link:

http://alaska.org/driving/portage-valley-whittier-spur-drive.htm

Archived