Snorkeling- Roatan vs Cozumel

justrache

I am going on my first NCL cruise (Spirit) in August after a couple on RCCL cruises. This will be my first time doing a Western Caribbean Itinerary.

We have a couple of excursions booked (Mayan Ruins in Costa Maya and Cave Tubing in Belize) and are looking to add a snorkeling adventure.

Which has the best snorkeling Roatan or Cozumel and should we book through NCL?

Thanks!

We are so excited and all the posts about the Spirit and other cruise related questions have been extremely helpful!!

Jen

en

I have only snorkeled in Coz, not Roatan so I can't help on the decision portion. However, I think if you search the Ports of Call threads you will find better private excursions.

We recently went to Roatan. The snorkeling there was excellent. We just took a cab to West Bay Beach and swam out to the reef located on the left hand side of the beach. Beautifull! No fees, just swim to it. Best snorkeling ever!

We recently went to Roatan. The snorkeling there was excellent. We just took a cab to West Bay Beach and swam out to the reef located on the left hand side of the beach. Beautifull! No fees, just swim to it. Best snorkeling ever!

Thank You....that is exactly the type of info I was looking for....one question though....Did your cab driver wait for you or were cabs plentiful at the beach? How much was cab ride? (okay maybe that was 2 questions;))

The best snorkeling will be in Roatan. You can get to good snorkeling sites on your own. But, for my money Tabayana Beach has the most incredible snorkeling available on the island. The only way to get to Tabayana is through an NCL excursion. Their excursion is $59pp which includes transportation and a buffet lunch.

I've been snorkeling in many places now and have to say Roatan is my favorite so far. Water was a little cool when we were there (Feb) but best fish and coral. They have sand fleas there so bring bug spray if you'll be going from a beach.

I'm now scuba certified and can't wait to get back there to dive.

In my limited experience, I would vote for Roatan.

I found the coral there to be in the best condition that i have seen anywhere that I have snorkelled....it is still alive, and to some, this looks different, but this is the way it should be. The fish were about average in my experience for the Caribbean, but we had a cloudy and rainy day, so the colors were not true.

Do bring bug spray for the beach, and put in on before going to the beach and again soon after coming out of the water.

Roatan is one of the best places I have snorkeled, it was at Tabbana beach and part of an excursion

I agree...Tabyana Beach gonna be hard to beat without going on a dedicated off shore snorkeling excursion such as some of those out of Belize City...

I went snorkeling in both Roatan and Cozumel on out last cruise and they were both great, go in both locations!!! Ultimately my vote goes to Roatan's Tabyana Beach area, but Cozumel's Palancar Reef has a lot to see also.

Thank you for the pictures! I love snorkeling and they just made me even more excited to go!!!

Jen

If your interested in looking at some more pictures of Roatan snorkeling you can view some pictures I took in April here. http://s1121.photobucket.com/albums/l502/LittleStinker76/NCL%20Spirit/

I loved West End Beach, which is where Tabyana is located. It was nice to be able to get in and out of the water all day since the reef is right along the shore.

I am going on my first NCL cruise (Spirit) in August after a couple on RCCL cruises. This will be my first time doing a Western Caribbean Itinerary.

We have a couple of excursions booked (Mayan Ruins in Costa Maya and Cave Tubing in Belize) and are looking to add a snorkeling adventure.

Thanks!

We are so excited and all the posts about the Spirit and other cruise related questions have been extremely helpful!!

Jen

you have picked two wonderful tours, good for you. Roatan has the best snorkeling I have ever experienced. It is good in Cozumel as well but the water can be very rough from time to time. If I were choosing, I would do Roatan and save Cozumel for shopping, having a great Mexican meal at Ponchos and maybe some sun time.

Nita

If your interested in looking at some more pictures of Roatan snorkeling you can view some pictures I took in April here. http://s1121.photobucket.com/albums/l502/LittleStinker76/NCL%20Spirit/

I loved West End Beach, which is where Tabyana is located. It was nice to be able to get in and out of the water all day since the reef is right along the shore.

Beautiful Crystal clear pictures, vivid colours...Thank you for sharing!!

Did you use a digital camera or just a disposable underwater camera?

Archived