how much money your wife spends pre-cruise

jlm41

We are taking our first cruise on destiny July 7th.

Wife is going all crazy reading all the packing list on this site.

So far she has spent $1000 buying stuff for the cruise.

over hundred dollar on medicine/lotions etc.

Clothes, Flash light, Alarm clock, shoes, bungee cord, and bunch of other stuff. Some of the big ticket items are dresses for her for dinner etc.

all kinds of stuff from the packing list on this board.

How much do you guys typically spend before the cruise? Is $1000 excessive or is it normal?

There's only one reasonable solution for this problem: Book more cruises! That way, you can amortize the cost of the items as she reuses them. :D Seriously, she is obviously excited about your vacation so taking this as a hint that she would like more vacations seems reasonable. Once you take this cruise, you may get the "cruise bug" and be ready to take this form of vacation on a regular basis. Hope you have a great time!

It seems kind of excessive. If you are going to the Caribbean you will mostly be wearing summer clothing and bathing suits during the day. I don't want to start another thread on the dress code, but I think most people would agree that things are pretty casual now.

I did buy myself a dress, and I might buy a second one, but these are inexpensive sundress type things. Besides that, I've bought some new summer clothes for everyone, but these are for general summer use, not just the cruise. I've probably spent about $250 for four people for summer clothes this year. I don't buy expensive clothing.

I don't bother bringing a lot of non-prescription meds, as there is a medical center with a doctor and nurses on board. They will have most of the over the counter stuff you might need. Some of those packing lists are pretty excessive.

The other thing to remember is that a lot of airlines are charging baggage fees. It pays to pack light!

My first cruise, I did spend quite a bit of money making sure I had everything we needed. Many of those things I used on other cruises. Some of the clothes are just cruise clothes. Then there are items on that list which seem like a good idea but you wont use them all. You will find that on your next cruise, she wont spend near as much. But preparing for the cruise is almost, ALMOST, as exciting as the cruise itself. Have fun and enjoy!

Love it!!! I can't answer for the husbands out there, but we just booked a cruise for November last week (Carnival Pride, Bermuda) and I've already started mentally shopping for new gowns, shoes, accessories, etc. LOL.

We sailed on the Destiny in it's maiden year (I forget, was that around 2006 or 2007?). Anyway, you'll love it! The food was great and it's a HUGE ship. Not sure why you guys will need bungee cord, flashlight, alarm clock and some of that other stuff, but tell your wife I fully support her urge to shop for new cruisewear! :) If you have a tux you might want to pack it. My husband bought his for our first cruise back in the late '90s (Grand Princess) and he brings it on every cruise. Formal nights are like prom night on the Destiny when we went, with photographers everywhere.

Have an awesome trip!

Your wife is going overboard buying things not needed. .. of course most women will say new clothes are needed .. thats between you.

I pack in one suitcase. Less is better.

It's their 1st cruise. Don't be so mean. Besides, you know they will reuse most of it anyway so it's an investment. We usually have a set of clothes that we normally wear only on cruises with DW updating a couple of items each cruise. Just let them progress at their own pace. They will learn :)

It's their 1st cruise. Don't be so mean. Besides, you know they will reuse most of it anyway so it's an investment. We usually have a set of clothes that we normally wear only on cruises with DW updating a couple of items each cruise. Just let them progress at their own pace. They will learn :)

Im female too and I dont plan on hauling $1000 worth of anything onboard.

Im female too and I dont plan on hauling $1000 worth of anything onboard.

Let them cruise and learn:D It all comes with the experience... I know my 1st cruise I brought a carry full of shoes LMAO... only wore 2 pairs... plus 2 other suitcases full of clothes... now after 10 cruises I am down to one duffle bag with everything and it is under 50lbs:p

I spent quite a bit when I took my first cruise after discovering cruise critic (not my very first, but the first in several years). Not a thousand dollars, but it was a significant amount. Glad it was spread out over nearly a year. And it's stuff I still use now, I have it and don't need to buy much more than some new clothes.

I think the keyword here is FIRST. Last year our family went on our FIRST cruise and I did have to go out and buy the things that we don't ordinarily have in our closets and drawers on an everday basis. New sportscoat for my hubby, and new dress shirts for him and our sons. What?...new shirts and jackets?.. well you can't wear any of your old ties with those new shirts. And you might as well get new dress socks instead of the old ones.. i'm mean the shirts, ties and jackets are new.. toss in some socks. Who needs bathingsuits?... everyone! And you need more than one.. can't be seen wearing the same one! :eek: Not to mention dresses for me.. we have 8 dinners.. we need 8 dresses and 2 of them should be alittle fancier than the other 6. New sandals to go with the new dresses... and so on and so on. It can add up to your quote very easily. Now I didn't do this all in one shopping trip; I made purchases over the course of many months leading up our cruise. Now hopefully we'll just re-use alot of these things for the next time. Well maybe not ME.. I can't be seen in pictures wearing the SAME dresses!! ;)

i have had that issue , not with flashlights, cords, fans and other "equipment"... but with clothesand shoes...

so after 26 yrs of marriage... simple solution... book a cruise... dont tell her till a 4 days before sailing... saves quite of bit of money for me...

she only gets to do 5 shopping trips ... not the 30 or so is she knew about it;)

I used to do the same thing when planning our Disney trips. :) I think planning is all part of the "fun". This is probably how she plans and gets ready...she's just excited that's all.

Why not suggest she work on a binder to prepare for the cruise? That helped me, so maybe that will help her curb her spending a bit.

I hope you guys have a great time! We are taking our first cruise in January. Of course I am such a Disney nut I had to sail out of Port Canaveral so we can stay at Disney before and after...sad...so sad....ha ha.

I was pretty bad the first cruise and each cruise I have to say I get a little better. The one area I really need to work on is clothing, I know I won't wear 1/2 the stuff I pack yet I still can't take it out of the suitcase:confused: It always seems to be that last Target stop the week before the cruise that does me in. Have a great cruise :)

How much do you guys typically spend before the cruise? Is $1000 excessive or is it normal?

I'm pretty frugal and will spread some of the "extra expenses" out over a period of time, but if you can afford it and it makes her happy; then go for it:D

The only real meds I think I'll take instead of relying on the ships dr next cruise will be anti-diarrhea, as I have heard that if you ask for it they can quarantine you for fear of spreading something. I think most of us know when we are contagious versus over indulgence. That being said, I do travel with a small first aid kit in my backpack, including a small roll of toilet paper. I'd hate to be on an excursion and need a bandaid or TP.

I know that I already am putting my list of needed items together for next cruise. I enjoy shopping, but for me the thrill of the hunt is finding a major bargain.

Whatever you take on your cruise......HAVE FUN!

Its your first cruise, let it go for now, lo. Most of the stuff you will be able to re-use for next time. After the cruise by one of those storage tubs and throw all the re-usable "cruise" stuff in it and you'll have it for next year (and a great excuse for her not to go on a shopping spree again b/c you can't find it).

Now some frequent cruises have really gotten the whole packing thing down to a science and pack like one suitcase. Being this will be my 5th cruise maybe I'm not at that level yet. I still plan on taking a 28inch, 24inch carry on and a small duffle bag too. I pack a LOT of clothes b/c I'm not one of those people who wears a bathing suit all day and if I get hot and nasty I will change clothes. I also like to dress for dinner no matter if its elegant night or not.

HOWEVER, I buy only a few pieces of clothing specifically for cruising (bathing suits, maybe a few strapless shirts, elegant night gown-I re-use- etc.) the rest of my clothes can be used between work and play when I return. So, while I might spend about $1,000 over the Spring and Summer on clothes, most of those clothes will be used all the way through the Fall and Winter as well (layering). Not to mention some will be re-used for next Spring and Summer (and another cruise).

Forgive her this once and maybe next time book a few months out and spread the cost across a time period.

Hahaha! Thats awesome. DW is usually pretty good about everything, although she does buy new clothes everytime we cruise....it's like, why can't you wear the same stuff you wore 6 months ago on the last cruise, and haven't worn since? Oh well, when you understand how women think, get back to me.:)

All you need, you can get on the ship, unless it is perscription meds. Crusing can be very causual, however, the one place we spend a lot of money before a trip is making sure we have the proper safty gear for our DD if we plan on going snorkeling, such as child life jacket, her own gear instead of using the used stuff.

Wife is going all crazy reading all the packing list on this site.

So far she has spent $1000 buying stuff for the cruise.

over hundred dollar on medicine/lotions etc.

Clothes, Flash light, Alarm clock, shoes, bungee cord, and bunch of other stuff. Some of the big ticket items are dresses for her for dinner etc.

all kinds of stuff from the packing list on this board.

Not even going there.....:rolleyes::eek:

Since it is your first cruise, I'd give her a pass (if only because I probably spent the same for my first cruise :o ). I remember bringing 2 big suitcases and a carryon since I needed room for all of my evening wear, all of my shoes, all of my day wear etc .... I ended up living in my shorts and tanks. I learned a lot from that cruise.

Do as others have suggested and think of it as an investment towards future vacations/cruises - all of it can be reused.

Have a great cruise!!!!

Archived