Enchantment of the Seas out of Baltimore Jan/Feb 2012 weather?

Thinking of going on Enchantment of the Seas out of Baltimore in Jan/Feb 2012. Wondering how long until you will be in warm weather to swim and wear shorts on board? Trying to save airfare and go out of Baltimore as we live in PA and can drive to port. Hoping someone who did this trip would be able to let me know. Thanks so much.

Thinking of going on Enchantment of the Seas out of Baltimore in Jan/Feb 2012. Wondering how long until you will be in warm weather to swim and wear shorts on board? Trying to save airfare and go out of Baltimore as we live in PA and can drive to port. Hoping someone who did this trip would be able to let me know. Thanks so much.

I took the Celebrity Mercury out of Baltimore this past December. Not only was it freezing when we left, it was bitterly cold when we hit Charleston SC (two days later) and by time we hit Key West (day five) it had warmed up to 47 degrees. Finally, the next day the southern part of the US came out of a cold snap and warmed up, a little. We pulled into Nassau and it was 75.

Just can't ever tell....

P.S. The first two days and last two days (it was a 9-night cruise) were tooooo cold to be topside in any kind of swim wear.

We did the 12 day NYE cruise out of Baltimore on EN that left on December 27 and it was cold. So cold, that pallets of wine froze to the dock and couldn't be loaded....which made people who pre-ordered wine packages slightly unhappy. It was at least day 3 before the weather began to warm up.

We did another cruise on EN this past April 2 and it was not until we got to PC that we could wear shorts. Though they didn't have to worry about pallets freezing to the dock. January and February will be cold for boarding and for the first 2-3 days as you head down the coast.

Sorry, but not a chance. We live 30 min from Balt and Jan/Feb are the peak cold, rain, and snow times for us. That's the time of year here that my wife & I head South...Your entire first day, at minimum, is going to be cold or worse...

Sorry, but not a chance. We live 30 min from Balt and Jan/Feb are the peak cold, rain, and snow times for us. That's the time of year here that my wife & I head South...Your entire first day, at minimum, is going to be cold or worse...

I've lived between Balto, DC and Virginia all of my life. What is stated above is generally correct. However, our weather (especially, winter) can depend upon what is coming at us from the west and what is brewing down in the Gulf. We've had winter seasons which were very mild (jacket weather only). I'd say, you can never be 100% sure of what to really expect this far out.

I've also sailed out of Balto in December when there was snow falling. On board the ship, who really cared?? (unless you crave the pool/sun thing) I believe by the time we reached Port Canveral (sp?), it was sunny and at least 72 degrees (this was day 3 of 7).

We boarded the ship in winter clothes, had packed long sleeves and jeans as well as shorts/capris, etc. What was really fun was lying on the beaches, knowing it was December, and there was no cold, no snow and no work!!:)

My only suggestion would be to NOT book an expensive balcony--you'll only get to use it half of the time.;) Hope you decided to book and not worry about the weather in the Northeast...if you're here more than a few hours, it will change!

...Your entire first day, at minimum, is going to be cold or worse...

This was our 'or worse' part, not far off of Cape Hatteras:

P.S. This December I am flying to Miami and spending a day or two pre-cruise. Better that than spend half the cruise bundled up in a coat every time I go topside! ;)

Two winters ago we sailed on the Mercury in early Feb (just got out before the BIG storm) and people were sun bathing the first day and swimming the second day out of Baltimore. Last year the same ship same time but no swimming until the third day, sun bathing the second day. It all depends. We shall see what happens this year:).

B.

We were on the Enchantment 28 Feb - 12 Mar. The temps for the days in Baltimore and the first/last sea days were 61-65 degrees; from the second sea day until first sea day heading back the temps were in the 73-83 degree range. Coming from New Hampshire, these are very agreeable temps for us, for that time of year. Of course the end of January into beginning of February could be much different.

By the second full sea dayheading South temps should be agreeable, even if not "beach temps" yet. Remember the Enchantment has a retractable dome over the Solarium pool area.

Ray in NH

Kind of what I thought. Guess we have to rethink this whole thing. Thank you so much for your quick replies. I guess you really do get what you pay for :) Wasn't expecting it to be 95+ degrees each day but maybe 65- 70 would be nice for a big part of it. Thanks again!!

This was our 'or worse' part, not far off of Cape Hatteras:

P.S. This December I am flying to Miami and spending a day or two pre-cruise. Better that than spend half the cruise bundled up in a coat every time I go topside! ;)

Wow to those pics!!! We sailed Carnival Pride to the Bahamas out of Balto in January, 2010. We were lucky not to come back to huge snow storms like some of the cruises did that winter. I don't remember ever being by the pool or even wearing shorts. The worst part for me though was the last day coming home--we only had one day to get here from Freeport so we were going at top speed--the ony time I have been seasick in 10 or 11 cruises. That definitely cured me from a winter cruise out of Balto!!

IMHO, you can spend a day on the ship in the cold weather relaxing or you can spend a day in the airport fighting TSA. I'll take the day on the ship anytime.

The Enchantment does have a solarium topside which is heated for the colder weather.

I agree with MS52. Flying is such a hassle these days and the ship is a floating hotel. The Enchantment solarium is so tropical looking and feeling that I plant myself there and start my Caribbean vacation in Baltimore. I will be doing my 3rd year of winter cruising this Jamuary. In fact I am doing a back to back this coming winter from Baltimore. Most sailings you can be on deck by the afternoon of the second sea day but there is no guarantee. But you can also plan a land trip and hit a rainy week.

If you would view a day or two indoors on a cruise ship as a hardship then a winter cruise from the north is not for you. But if you enjoy other aspects of cruising besides soaking up rays on deck then I say go for it.

We did the 12 day NYE cruise out of Baltimore on EN that left on December 27 and it was cold. So cold, that pallets of wine froze to the dock and couldn't be loaded....which made people who pre-ordered wine packages slightly unhappy. It was at least day 3 before the weather began to warm up.

We did another cruise on EN this past April 2 and it was not until we got to PC that we could wear shorts. Though they didn't have to worry about pallets freezing to the dock. January and February will be cold for boarding and for the first 2-3 days as you head down the coast.

We were on this trip too (and given we had to fly in from the uk very lucky to be). There were some fairly extreme weather fronts going on at this time with loads of snow storms cancelling flights all down the east coat but we found the weather pleasant by second sea day. By the time we reached our first stop (labadee from memory) it was lovely. Have to say though enjoyed the enchantment so much that didnt notice the sea days pass! Actually being forced to appreciate the inside of the ship was a great experience.

Loved Baltimore too. Def recommend it!!

Archived