Just off Voyager of the Seas - any questions?

We also didn't buy tickets for Venice as we did a morning trip with Royal and you had the option to remain behind at the end to explore Venice and then get the shuttle boat home by just showing your tour sticker. This is what we did and spent the afternoon in Venice shopping and sightseeing.

Hope this is of help :)

Thank you for your input.

Which morning trip in Venice did you do with Royal and would you recommend it to others?

Also, what would you say are "must sees" in Venice? Did you make it over to Murano?

Thanks!

Thanks for starting this thread.

Did you know of anyone who took the ship excursion to Florence while in Ravenna?

Thanks!

I did not speak with anyone who took the ship excursion to Florence. For me it would depend on how long the travel time is and if the guide was with me the whole time because time is precious and I cannot afford to lose time with making mistakes in directions.

Royal provides transport at all stops except Koper as you can walk off at Koper and explore the town. There is a horse and cart that goes around the town at 10 Euros per person. There is also a mini train but it was broken on the day we were there. If you want to climb the bell tower in the centre it is 3 Euros each.

Ship shuttle tickets for all the others are priced as follows

Bari - $14 per person

Ravenna - $14 per person

Dubrovnik - $10 per person

Venice - $25 per person - this is a boat shuttle transfer

The shuttle ticket was valid all day and you could use it to go back and forth as many times as you wanted. We only went there and back once though as I suspect so did many others!

We chose not to walk off any others as seems a fair trek IMO.

My tip would be to get your tickets the day before as if you want to buy on the day this is usually the longest queue on the dock!

We also didn't buy tickets for Venice as we did a morning trip with Royal and you had the option to remain behind at the end to explore Venice and then get the shuttle boat home by just showing your tour sticker. This is what we did and spent the afternoon in Venice shopping and sightseeing.

In Bari when we got off the shuttle in town there are people selling the mini train rides with a walking guided tour. It is 10 Euro's each and takes about 60-80 mins including the train trip there and back. It was just right for us as we got to see some of the town with info about it and also some places of interest.

Hope this is of help :)

Thank you very very much

Which morning trip in Venice did you do with Royal and would you recommend it to others?

Also, what would you say are "must sees" in Venice? Did you make it over to Murano?

Thanks!

We were there in September 2010, and we are returning again in September this year! For us the must do was vaparetto down Grand Canal, which is really easy to DIY. Make way from port to Piazzale Roma (use the 1 euro people mover) i.e. the bus station and board the vaparetto there. Travel down Grand Canal (under Rialto Bridge, fantastic photo of bridge from vaparetto)and into the main lagoon,and get off at St Mark's square, where all the main sights are. You can then wander back to Piazzale Roma on foot, as you will have your bearings by then!

We also went to Murano, but we were staying at the other side of Venice pre-cruise and it was easy from there. From the port it is fairly complicated. Given the time again we would not have gone to Murano, as it is over hyped.

Hi OA515,

First thanks for taking the time to answer questions. We've cruised before, but not for 16 years BC (before children). Our previous cruises were with P&O on Canberra and Victoria. We thought RCI would be better for the children (16 and 10), plus it fitted our budget and possible holiday dates. I have several questions:

1. As we're doing fly/cruise, does RCI provide transfers from the airport in Venice to the port? The info. I've seen on here has me rather confused as to whether you have to make your own arrangement or a shuttle will be provided. And do they make arrangements to get you back to the airport on disembarkation?

2. We were used to putting on the glitz for formal nights on P&O. Are formal nights on RCI less formal? Will my husband actually need his tux? My daughter wants to wear her school prom dress again - will she look OTT (it's not full length)?

3. Is it worth buying the drinks packages? What soft drinks are free and where are they available?

4. Do you have to sign children up for the children's clubs, or do they just turn up?

Really looking forward to our first, proper holiday in 8 years!

Many thanks in advance

Groovechick

Hi OA515,

1. As we're doing fly/cruise, does RCI provide transfers from the airport in Venice to the port? The info. I've seen on here has me rather confused as to whether you have to make your own arrangement or a shuttle will be provided. And do they make arrangements to get you back to the airport on disembarkation?

When you´ve booked air through RCI your transfers are included (airport-ship and return). Have a look for an RCI rep at the airport!

2. We were used to putting on the glitz for formal nights on P&O. Are formal nights on RCI less formal? Will my husband actually need his tux? My daughter wants to wear her school prom dress again - will she look OTT (it's not full length)?

She will not look ott, neither will your husband. But on European cruises with lots of Europeans onboard you will realize that the formal night might be a bit less formal:rolleyes: (said by an European)

3. Is it worth buying the drinks packages? What soft drinks are free and where are they available?

Soda package is 6$ for adults and 4$ for kids up to 12yo (add 15% service charge). Soda drinks included are all Coke products. You´ll get a free souvenir thermo mug too. A can of coke out of the mini bar is 1.95$ (2.25 incl. 15%). Same price for all fountain sodas onboard. So it´s worth buying when you drink more than 3 sodas per day. Lemonade, Iced Tea and ice water are for free.

4. Do you have to sign children up for the children's clubs, or do they just turn up?

You have to sign up your 10yo in Adventure Ocean the first time he/she shows up (but better do that on the first day during the open house session, you have to fill in a form regarding any special needs and more). A 10yo can be allowed to self sign in and out. For the teenager there´s no sign in procedure as it´s an open program.

steamboats

I have a couple of questions too if you don't mind!

1. Did you hear if anyone taking the San Marino tour in Ravenna?

2. Did they have diet sprite in the soda package?

Thanks!

Thanks!

We did the Murano Glass works, San Giorgio & Gondola Ride excursion.

My other half fancied the gondola ride so this is why we chose it.

Boat from the ship with guided (English) tour whilst on the boat, to Murano. Saw a man blow a glass bowl and then make a glass horse. Very talented man.

You then have time on the factory to shop, about 20-30 mins. There is some stunning glass work there. It is quite expensive for the nice bits.

We were advised, the price you see on the sticker includes the shipping cost of the item as well. If you were taking with you and not having it shipped they said to take 20% of the sticker price. We bought a 12 Euro gondola and carried it off!:D

You the went to San Giorgio to see the church which has a fab bell tower but we only got 15mins so no time really than to take a few views of Venice opposite and quick wander round the church.

We then got taken to main Venice and to the gondola ride (from hell!! :o) Well it was for us!

We got on our with a rather large lady and her not so smaller daughter and from the start to the end bar about 5 mins inbetween I thought we were going over!

Looking back now it was funny but really not so at the time!

If we ever go again I think we'll save up for our own gondola!

Royal do price their 2 person ride quite high and we sat with a couple in the MDR who stayed in Venice prior to the cruise and they advised the cost of a ride if wander up was 70 Euro's per person before 7pm and 80 Euro's per person after :eek: - so Royal aren't that far off!

We pre booked this in the UK and it was about £125 ish.

When you took into account of shuttle cost and private gondola ride adding in the guided tour and the other stops we thought it was fair value for money, especially as we stayed in Venice at end and did our own thing then showed our trip sticker to go back on the shuttle boat.

Hi Gingerbint,

Hubby & I are sailing on Voyager in October on this itinerary and really looking forward to it.

Can you tell me if there are tables for 2 in the Anytime dining rooms this year, there were last year when we were aboard but the wording on the website makes me wonder if there are any this year.

We're not grumpy people who don't like to share a table but we don't get much time together apart from holidays so we value any "couple" time we can get.

Thanks for your help :)

Hi Gingerbint,

Hubby & I are sailing on Voyager in October on this itinerary and really looking forward to it.

Can you tell me if there are tables for 2 in the Anytime dining rooms this year, there were last year when we were aboard but the wording on the website makes me wonder if there are any this year.

We're not grumpy people who don't like to share a table but we don't get much time together apart from holidays so we value any "couple" time we can get.

Thanks for your help :)

Hi Jennybee - We were my time dining and had a table for two every night bar one. The only night we didn't was the first formal night and we had a table of 6 but we were happy to sit with others and see how everyone was enjoying their trip.

We requested table 33 every night as we loved our servers Claudiu and Gladys got it 5 out of the 7 nights. Get them if you can they were great.

Claudia on the restaurant front desk was great too and very helpful sorting out our requests. There were quite a few tables for two, it seemed the busiest time was between 7-8pm for people wanting to eat, we usually booked to go in at 645pm or 8pm

We like chatting but like 'our .' time too :D

Have a great cruise!

• 3 weeks later...
First things first - as a fellow redhead, I love the name gingerbint ;)

I was wondering if the menu was the same as this: http://www.retirease.com/Oasis%20MDR%20Menus.pdf ? We're trying to decide when to book portofino, should the website ever work!

Also, when were the formal nights?

Many thanks,

Jo

I was just going through the Cruise Compass for this sailing (someone posted in June) and formal nights are the Sunday--Koper--and Thursday--our sea day.

I was wondering if the menu was the same as this: http://www.retirease.com/Oasis%20MDR%20Menus.pdf ?

It´s pretty similar but on European cruises you don´t get Surf & Turf or the Fisherman´s Plate. But anyway that doesn´t mean that the menus you´ve linked to appear on the Voyager in the same day by day order as they do on the Oasis (as it usually depends on what days the formal nights are).

steamboats

Hi-This will be our first time on the Voyageur of the Seas. Will we need tickets to see the ice show? I thought I saw it mentioned in one of the Compasses. Thanks! Shelly ps. How does one obtain the tickets and is there a charge?:)

DH and I are sailing on Voyager in December out of New Orleans but have a couple of questions. Can you get breakfast at Johnny Rockets? What nights are formal nights? Want to make a reservation at Portofino's on a regular night. Thanks.

Has anyone stored their luggage at the Piazzale Roma and then later collected their bags and taken the bus to Marco Polo Airport? I am interested to know how this went, the cost, the time it took to get to the airport and how early you think you need to be at the airport for a flight back to N.A.

This thread is an interesting read. Thanks, for all of the info.

I've been taking notes!

Archived