Baggage Questions

mllewis48

I have looked on this site but have not found my answers so here goes..............

1.) When booking air with HAL who is responsible for any baggage fees with the chosen airline? I saw where additional fees are my responsibility but did not see anything for baggage?

2.) Is Luggage Direct offered in San Diego for returning cruises from Hawaii using Southwest Airlines?

Thanks

Mike

I have looked on this site but have not found my answers so here goes..............

1.) When booking air with HAL who is responsible for any baggage fees with the chosen airline? I saw where additional fees are my responsibility but did not see anything for baggage?

2.) Is Luggage Direct offered in San Diego for returning cruises from Hawaii using Southwest Airlines?

Thanks

Mike

Baggage fees are the responsibility of the passenger.

Sorry ... can't help with Luggage Direct.

Correct -- all luggage fees are your responsibility.

from HAL's web site:

Holland America Line is offering Luggage Direct in:

• Fort Lauderdale
  • Los Angeles
  • Seattle
  • San Diego
  • Vancouver (on select dates only)
  • Tampa

On the following fourteen (14) vessels only:

• ms Amsterdam
  • ms Eurodam
  • ms Oosterdam
  • ms Maasdam
  • ms Nieuw Amsterdam
  • ms Noordam
  • ms Ryndam
  • ms Rotterdam
  • ms Statendam
  • ms Veendam
  • ms Volendam
  • ms Westerdam
  • ms Zaandam
  • ms Zuiderdam

Please note the following general information about Luggage Direct:

• Cost is $19 per person at all ports
  • Airline assessed baggage fees will be applied to guests' onboard account - fees vary by airline and all pricing is communicated directly from the airline to our partner company, BAGS, Inc. These fees are collected onboard and are then distributed to the airlines.
  • Guests are able to check no more than 2 pieces of luggage per person.
  • Upgrade Requests, Seat Assignment Requests, and Flight Changes cannot be accommodated onboard.
  • There are restrictions established for each homeport city.
  • Restrictions include: participating airlines, earliest and latest flight times, and citizenship requirements.
  • All flights must be Domestic (inclusive of U.S. Territories).
  • In Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada all flights must be bound for the U.S.

I have used a Luggage Direct type of service on Princess and am wondering if it operates in the same way. Do you wait until you are onboard to sign up?

Yes, onboard. At some point during the cruise, a form will be distributed to all passengers ... it explains the parameters (flight times, destinations, etc.) and offers the opportunity to sign up for the service.

Whoops, last time we used Luggage Direct from Ft Lauderdale was in January 2011 and we did not fly SW but also did not notice they have been added to Ft Lauderdale. At one time they were not on the list, but glad they now are, thanks. I agree they are most likely on the San Diego Luggage Direct.

Mike

Archived