Bar Coupons and how they work

Valanta

This is our 2nd cruise and I am a little confused about the coupons. We used them last time but I think we did not use them correctly. I think I read somewhere that we were suppose to keep our plastic glasses that we got our mixed drinks in and each time we order after the first drink we just use of coupons and the drinks would not be extra. We just use the same glass over and over again. Also my hubby used them for the non-alcoholic drinks. If anyone has any information on how this works please help. We are trying to budget but still have a great time. We are on Carnival Sensation for a 5day cruise. I am thinking about purchasing about 6 of the bar cards or do you think it is not worth it and there are NO Savings?

Thanks

We use the coupons when we cruise, and as far as I know, you get a new glass/drink everytime you use a coupon, thus paying for each new drink. You usually can't use the coupon for the drinks that come in the souvenir glasses unless you pay a few dollars extra. They can be used for both alcoholic and non-al drinks. Happy Sailing.

The possibility exists that you misunderstand the purpose behind the "Drink Coupons".

The coupons are NOT designed to save you any money. They are designed so friends and family members who don't cruise with you can still buy you a drink to help you celebrate.

The coupons have a face value of $5.25 (I think,,, may be $5.75 now)

That face value includes the automatic 15% gratuity.

If you buy a $5 beer and you hand them a coupon,,,that's the end of the business transaction.

If you buy a $7.50 foo foo drink and hand them a coupon, you owe the remaining balance. (caveat: sometimes the server will not charge you the extra. Maybe they're busy and forget,,,maybe you've been tipping them on the side,,,who knows)

I use two methods to pre-pay my cruise bar tab.

Drink Coupons

Funship Dollars

• 4 weeks later...
The possibility exists that you misunderstand the purpose behind the "Drink Coupons".

The coupons are NOT designed to save you any money. They are designed so friends and family members who don't cruise with you can still buy you a drink to help you celebrate.

The coupons have a face value of $5.25 (I think,,, may be $5.75 now)

That face value includes the automatic 15% gratuity.

If you buy a $5 beer and you hand them a coupon,,,that's the end of the business transaction.

If you buy a $7.50 foo foo drink and hand them a coupon, you owe the remaining balance. (caveat: sometimes the server will not charge you the extra. Maybe they're busy and forget,,,maybe you've been tipping them on the side,,,who knows)

I use two methods to pre-pay my cruise bar tab.

Drink Coupons

Funship Dollars

Thanks, I do understand that was the purpose of the coupons. I just thought it was a good idea to send them to myself so it helps me not to go over my budget. At least my drinks would have been paid for in advance. I always read the post and saw another post about how they used the coupons. Any information is helpful. I use my credit card but dont really want to see a huge bill at the end that will knock me back to the Bahamas. LOL;):D

This is our 2nd cruise and I am a little confused about the coupons. We used them last time but I think we did not use them correctly. I think I read somewhere that we were suppose to keep our plastic glasses that we got our mixed drinks in and each time we order after the first drink we just use of coupons and the drinks would not be extra. We just use the same glass over and over again. Also my hubby used them for the non-alcoholic drinks. If anyone has any information on how this works please help. We are trying to budget but still have a great time. We are on Carnival Sensation for a 5day cruise. I am thinking about purchasing about 6 of the bar cards or do you think it is not worth it and there are NO Savings?

Thanks

You can buy the Drink of the Day in a regular glass and it is cheaper than in the souviner glass. No refill needed.

The drink coupons do save you the 15% tip. A normal drink cost $5.75. You hand them a coupon and you are finished.

If you buy a specialty drink that cost $7.75 then you hand a coupon and you are charged the $2 diference plus 15% on the $2.

If you buy a drink in a special glass. They usually cost $7.75. so the above is in effect. But if you give them the glas back they take $1 off the refill so the price would only be $6.75 and if you used a coupon then you extra price would only be $1 and then 15% tip for the $1.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I would not use these coupons for anything that costs less than the $5.75

The drink coupons do save you the 15% tip. A normal drink cost $5.75. You hand them a coupon and you are finished.

If you buy a specialty drink that cost $7.75 then you hand a coupon and you are charged the $2 diference plus 15% on the $2.

If you buy a drink in a special glass. They usually cost $7.75. so the above is in effect. But if you give them the glas back they take $1 off the refill so the price would only be $6.75 and if you used a coupon then you extra price would only be $1 and then 15% tip for the $1.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I would not use these coupons for anything that costs less than the $5.75

WOW!!! Thanks that makes sense. Just trying to use the coupon only with no extra fee is what we want to do.

Archived