Sagrada Familia and Parc Quell

Emma1

First trip to Barcelona for us ( with 3 children - young teens). Pls help with my plans - we have 3 days in Barcelona pre cruise.

I plan to buy the tickets for Sagrada online for 10am. Had originally thought we would then go to Parc Quell the same day. But now I am thinking it would make more sense to go to Parc Quell the next morning straight from Pl Catalunya so we get the bus that takes us to the main entrance - I believe then we do not have to walk up the hill?

Also, since our hotel is bet Sagrada and Pl Catalunya I could stop back at our hotel after Sagrada to have my kids change back into shorts ( Am I correct in assuming we need to be appropriately dressed for Sagrada - knees and shoulders covered?). Then walk to the Boqueria Market and cover that area.

Any recommendations on how to handle these two days and what area to cover? Day one starts with Sagrada and day two with Parc Quell? Or do I go back to doing both in one day?

I am sure I should a bit confused!!!

First trip to Barcelona for us ( with 3 children - young teens). Pls help with my plans - we have 3 days in Barcelona pre cruise.

I plan to buy the tickets for Sagrada online for 10am. Had originally thought we would then go to Parc Quell the same day. But now I am thinking it would make more sense to go to Parc Quell the next morning straight from Pl Catalunya so we get the bus that takes us to the main entrance - I believe then we do not have to walk up the hill?

Also, since our hotel is bet Sagrada and Pl Catalunya I could stop back at our hotel after Sagrada to have my kids change back into shorts ( Am I correct in assuming we need to be appropriately dressed for Sagrada - knees and shoulders covered?). Then walk to the Boqueria Market and cover that area.

Any recommendations on how to handle these two days and what area to cover? Day one starts with Sagrada and day two with Parc Quell? Or do I go back to doing both in one day?

I am sure I should a bit confused!!!

Okay I will try to help. Sagrada and Parc Quell can both be done in the same day. pre-book tickets like you plan and when you get there make sure to ask about entering with your pre-paid voucher. You can wear shorts. ( I was surprised but they could in the Sisteen Chapel also) Now my husband and son both wear them on the long side mid knee. At Sagrada the line will be LONG and there is no sign for an entrance if already paid. It is the same entrance either way. So to avoid standing in line for no reason, be sure to ask. I believe we spent 1 1/2 hour there before moving on. Parc quell is up a hill but not a big deal...imo. I was there last week and we did it in the late afternoon with our 14 yr old son. I will say it was very crowded so a morning tour may help with that. I also recommend Montjuic Castle it is a hike up but we loved the views. I also did this on foot in the morning. Barcelona is very easy to navigate and public transportation is super easy. I have never done a city without tours and did so last week for 3 days pre-cruise. We felt safe and enjoyed tons. We also went in Casa Battlo again pre-booked our tickets online. Plan for 1 hr. The Market is fine but plan for it to be only about 30 minutes of your day. I am not an advid hiker and in only average shape, yet seem to do all just fine. here are a few site. We just chose what we wanted to do and then mapped out a plan using google as to what site each day.

Hope this helps,

Patty

http://www.barcelonadaytours.com/barcelona-city-tour.html

http://www.barcelona.com/barcelona_city_guide/where_to_eat_barcelona/eixample_restaurants

You can do both sites without a guide, but I recommend using a tour company to tell you the Gaudi history. We used Barcelona Day Tours.

If you wish to go to Sagrada Familia it is better to go early, since the crowds are not as bad. Don't be put off by the long lines, they move fast, even if you wait to purchase your ticket on arrival. There is a separate ticket for taking the elevator to the scenic viewing, which is worth the time.

The Bari-Gothic area is a must see as well. You can do all in one day if you take a tour.

The Sistine Chapel is not a working church so no dress code.

I have not seen anyone stopping folks at Sagrada Familia either,only at the main Cathedral.

There IS a separate line for folks who have bought their tix on line. If you face the front of Sagrada Familia it is to the right of the regular line. There should be a sign that says something like Servi Caixa if not just wave the tix at the guards and they'll point the way.

You do NOT have to stand and wait in the normal line!!!

IF you go to Sagrada Familia first then you can just take a taxi to Park Guell(not Quell).I have been twice and have done it both ways(park first, then Sagrada and vice versa)

The lines to get in without a ticket were certainly shorter towards the afternoon.

The audio guide at Sagrada Familia is VERY good so just rent them and you will hear all the interesting info.

I went the first time without it and missed a LOT!!

The Sistine Chapel is not a working church so no dress code.

I have not seen anyone stopping folks at Sagrada Familia either,only at the main Cathedral.

There IS a separate line for folks who have bought their tix on line. If you face the front of Sagrada Familia it is to the right of the regular line. There should be a sign that says something like Servi Caixa if not just wave the tix at the guards and they'll point the way.

You do NOT have to stand and wait in the normal line!!!

IF you go to Sagrada Familia first then you can just take a taxi to Park Guell(not Quell).I have been twice and have done it both ways(park first, then Sagrada and vice versa)

The lines to get in without a ticket were certainly shorter towards the afternoon.

The audio guide at Sagrada Familia is VERY good so just rent them and you will hear all the interesting info.

I went the first time without it and missed a LOT!!

I am a bit confused as to where the separate line is :confused:...I was just there last week and even when we asked where the pre-paid line was, we were told it is one in the same. I admit may there may of been a language barrier but I did only see one very long line. :eek:

Also sorry I meant Vatican/Basilica when mentioning Sistine Chapel.

Smiles,

Patty

I also vote for doing both in the same day. Also, don't forget to save time to walk around the Gothic Quarter, and see some of the really old churches like the Cathedral and Santa Maria del Mar (both free before noon). Just beautiful area and churches.

We went to the bouqueteria multiple times - it's a great place for photography, plus we bought bread, cheese, ham, candy and all sorts of other amazing things there.

About your Gaudi day, don't miss Casa Mila! The whole building is fascinating and the rooftop terrace is AMAZING. This is possibly the BEST Gaudi site in all of Barcelona! Your children will be enchanted with the whimiscal multi-level rooftop terrace and the attic museum is interesting but not too big - just enough to learn a bit about Gaudi. You should be able to do La Sagrada Familia, Parc Guell and Casa Mila in one day easily - in fact you could probably do every single Gaudi site in one day if you hire a guide to drive you around. If you time it right, there won't be a line at Casa Mila - we went in late afternoon and were upstairs in less than 10 minutes. The Gaudi Dragon Gate is also close to Parc Guell - great place to stop for a photo with holding hands in the dragon's mouth!

The dragon gate:

Gaudi Dragon Gate @ Finca Guelle

It's a great place for a family photo!

We used a tour company we found through viator and he basically dropped us right at the front in every location, which made getting around a snap! Doing Gaudi with a guide the first day enabled us to understand the layout of Barcelona and tour on our own on following days.

There is no separate line to get into the Sagrada with your voucher (print out). You just go all the way to the front of the line, show it to one of the employees and then block off the line, open up the rope and let you in. It's that easy. It was SOOOOO nice to bypass the line.

AND... I was so pleasantly surprised by how gorgeous this cathedral was on the inside. I had been to Barcelona 4 other times and had never gone in. It just didn't do it for me from the outside. The inside is gorgeous!

AND... I was so pleasantly surprised by how gorgeous this cathedral was on the inside. I had been to Barcelona 4 other times and had never gone in. It just didn't do it for me from the outside. The inside is gorgeous!

Have to agree-- We'd visited the Duomo in Florence, St. Peter's in Rome, and Palma cathedral on this cruise. Almost didn't go into the Sagrada Familia except that one of our Roll Call urged us to. It really is so different from the old cathedrals--so much more light-filled--yet keeps that sense of "drawing your eyes to heaven" that the gothic style does so remarkably.

• 2 weeks later...

Whatever you do, go to Parc Guell around 9 AM, when the city is sleeping. At about 11 AM the park starts to get very crowded so it's harder to get good pictures and there are more pickpockets. We went straight from there to Casa Mila, bought tickets, and walked right in. From there we went to Palau Guell and there were no lines there either. Sagrada Familia gets lines all day, so getting tickets in advance is a great idea.

Palau Guell, the market, Rambla, Gothic Quarter, and Cathedral are all generally in one area.

Since you are in Barcelona for 3 days, I would go to Park Guell early and be there for the opening, as it gets extremely crowded as the day goes on.

I would also recommend taking bus 24 to the east side entrance, as that is the cheapest transport and it gets you closest to the park apart from a cab. Taking the metro or even the hoho bus involves a very long walk.

When you board the bus, just say Park Guell ? loud, and the bus driver and the riders (many of them peddlers and performers going to Park Guell) will enthusiastically say si si, and will help you get off at the right place.

Here is a map of bus line 24 with the stops. You can get it from Placa Catalunya. It goes up Pg Garcia, past Casa Batlo and Mila, which you could visit on your way back. Having this diagram, it was easy to tell where the bus was driving.

http://www.tmb.cat/img/ampli/pdf/L24.pdf

When you get inside the park, there is a sign with a map. I would advise walking to the front entrance first thing to get your photos by the iconic dragon, as that's where it will get the most crowded later.

Great info here! I'm also trying to plan our Barcelona time as we have an overnight in October. We were there for a day pre-cruise a few years ago and I can't wait to go back. I was also wondering, however, if anyone has any good restaurant recommendations in Barcelona? I've seen some of the sites with reviews, but I'm more curious about personal experiences. We'd like places that are not touristy and have great local food.

Archived