kids rules

it would have taken me weeks to find that and you'll see from my signature I don't have that long :):D

No, indeed you don't. From one Marylander to another, have a great trip!

A "cruise contract" for your kids?

Is it really necessary?

Apparently, some people feel it is.

I clearly see the benefit of laying out the rules and expectations before you go, so as to hopefully minimize any misunderstandings and unpleasant situations. I do this with my kids before we travel anywhere. I don't put it in writing; but then again, my kids aren't old enough to read yet.

I clearly see the benefit of laying out the rules and expectations before you go, so as to hopefully minimize any misunderstandings and unpleasant situations. I do this with my kids before we travel anywhere. I don't put it in writing; but then again, my kids aren't old enough to read yet.

That's exactly why I do it. I was raised that way -- "Here are the rules, and here are the consequences." It taught me that good choices are just that -- a choice -- and that if I made a poor choice I would have to live with the consequences. Everything was spelled out, everything was clarified. I think it's an important lesson to teach kids, and it has always worked well with my son. As he gets older, the rules change accordingly, and the consequences become more severe as the possible outcomes of bad choices at his age become more severe as well.

I am glad you found it bus man! It wasn't one of mine (or Carol's) but I think it's a great thing to have! :D Kids can never go wrong when they are well prepared before the cruise. They understand your expectations and know how to act if they ever find themselves in a bad situation.

Some of the posters here might have turned out to be more responsible citizens if their parents had raised them the same way. ;)

I have pulled a lot of these rules together from this board and while we don't have our kids sign it we do go over them and the consequences before each trip. I keep a copy of my laptop so I remember what they are!

Although Hubby and I have cruised numerous times, we've never taken the kids with us before.

That will change next year, when we take 3 of them (DS22, DS18 and DD12) with us on a 12-day Greek Isles/Med cruise on the Serenade.

Although we would have established "the rules" ahead of time, it's nice to have them spelled out here - and I will, indeed, be reviewing these before the cruise with my kids.

Besides the rules, we'll also discuss consequences...if I even so much suspect my daughter of ringing doorbells or playing around the elevators - I'll throw her overboard.

KIDDING! :eek::eek:

A "cruise contract" for your kids?

Is it really necessary?

I think we should applaud this responsible parent for being proactive rather than question the necessity of a contract for her children's behavior.

Too many people (adults AND children) leave their manners and common sense at home when they go on vacation. When children know the consequences of their good or bad behaviors it makes for a smoother trip for mom, dad, the kids and the rest of the passengers on board.

We are just off the Freedom, and although I didn't give my daughter those or any written rules, we did read them. She is 17 and we traveled with friends who also had at 17 & 15 year old. They were told not to go into anyone's cabin, to walk each other home at night, and to behave. Regardless we didn't have anything to worry about. The two OB our deck walked the one down to her deck then they split up on our deck, my daughter never spent a penny with out asking first. And several times I found her reading on the balcony. We saw kids sitting in the elevator a couple of times, in my opiniOn not really appropriate, but my daughter was taught manners and right from wrong. They behaved well, I know they are not perfect and act crazy sometimes, but still respectable to others around them.

I have been on 6 cruises with my kids (now 16 and 14). No need for a cruise contract because they know the type of behavior I expect from them. Since they are on vacation, I expect them to have fun. So long as their fun does not interfere with anyone else's vacation (i.e. knock and run; playing on elevators; rough housing). Yes, they meet friends on the first day and wander the ship in packs. If people don't like that, too bad, they are not bothering anyone. And yes, we constantly check up on them and have never seen them doing anything stupid or annoying (based on the perception of a reasonable person).

They know that if something happens, their cruise is over. Guess what, nothing happens.

All I can say that if my parents ever came up with something like that, I would just stay home.......

And as an adult, you would be well within your rights to do just that. These rules are intended for children -- little pre-adults who are under the legal and moral guardianship of their parents.

Do you find fault with one or more of the specific rules as set down? Or is it more that you simply don't want to be told what to do?

All I can say that if my parents ever came up with something like that, I would just stay home.......

:confused: Why?? Because you weren't allowed to have parties with strangers in your stateroom while your folks were out? Because you wouldn't be able to go punch all the buttons in the elevator, or run down the halls at 3am, or talk rudely to the staff or other guests? What exactly would you have a problem with?

Don't these famous Kindergarten rules apply to adults and kids?

Share everything.

Play fair.

Don't hit people.

Put things back where you found them.

Clean up your own mess.

Don't take things that aren't yours.

Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody.

Wash your hands before you eat.

Flush.

Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.

Live a balanced life - learn some and think some

and draw and paint and sing and dance and play

and work every day some.

Take a nap every afternoon.

When you go out into the world, watch out for traffic,

hold hands, and stick together.

Be aware of wonder.

Remember the little seed in the styrofoam cup:

The roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody

really knows how or why, but we are all like that.

Goldfish and hamsters and white mice and even

the little seed in the Styrofoam cup - they all die.

So do we.

And then remember the Dick-and-Jane books

and the first word you learned - the biggest

word of all - LOOK.

Whether it's the rules as posted earlier in the thread, or whatever is done to ensure the kids know the boundries, we're all in favour.

All we'd wish is something similar for the adults on board who can be just as obnoxious, just as out of control as the kids (and admit it folks, we've all seen the drunk arrogant neer-thee-wells who can ruin a vacation just as easily as some of the younger set).

Michael and Silke

Last week the worst behave people I ran into was a family that had no courtesy for anyone. I was waiting in line at the promenade cafe these people walked right up in frOnt of me and others to take their kids to get something. They were talking in Spanish to the group in front of me, so maybe they know them.....but still really rude. I saw them walk up, so I know they werent in line before. I didn't say anything because they had a small child and I was not going to stoop to their level of rudeness but it did piss me off. Not a good example for their kid.

Last week the worst behave people I ran into was a family that had no courtesy for anyone. I was waiting in line at the promenade cafe these people walked right up in frOnt of me and others to take their kids to get something. They were talking in Spanish to the group in front of me, so maybe they know them.....but still really rude. I saw them walk up, so I know they werent in line before. I didn't say anything because they had a small child and I was not going to stoop to their level of rudeness but it did piss me off. Not a good example for their kid.

I had a mom standing in line behind me with her kids at a local amusement park.

She kept telling the oldest kid “as soon as the gate opens run up and grab the front car” he kept trying to squeeze in front of me in line at the gate but I silently held my ground.

When the gate opened he did exactly what his mom told him and pushed past me and got in the front car.

He was really surprised when my wife and I got in the car with him. The car holds 3. I asked him if he wanted to move but he said no.

His brother and mom rode in a different car after giving me a dirty look. So kids are a reflection on the parents many times.

When the gate opened he did exactly what his mom told him and pushed past me and got in the front car.

He was really surprised when my wife and I got in the car with him. The car holds 3. I asked him if he wanted to move but he said no.

His brother and mom rode in a different car after giving me a dirty look. So kids are a reflection on the parents many times.

I absolutely love how you handled that. Kudos!! :D

-gina-

My kids have been brought up to be respectful and appreciate what they are given or get to do. Do these rules spoil their vacation? Absolutely not, they both LOVE crusing and traveling.

They know what is expected and willingly spend time with mom and dad. Last year due to a number of factors we could not take a family vacation and both were upset. We are making up for it this year! And yes, we are all included in the planning to ensure we all have a good time.

I had a mom standing in line behind me with her kids at a local amusement park.

She kept telling the oldest kid “as soon as the gate opens run up and grab the front car” he kept trying to squeeze in front of me in line at the gate but I silently held my ground.

I love it.. I never think that quickly.

Archived