Need Help From New Yorkers Re My Convoluted Plan

kicker

Okay, here's the deal:

Cruising (Princess) Aug 20. Most likely arriving by plane into JFK Friday, but interested in getting to a Met's game at Citifield.

Possible stay at Fairfield Inn, Flushing, which would be close to the ballpark, but how would we get (2 people) from JFK to the hotel (or LaGuardia) for a reasonable price. I just called Red Dot shuttles and they quoted me $100 for 2 peo[ple from JFK to LaG (obviously not worth it).

I need helpful CC'ers to suggest alternative hotels near JFK, preferably something where I could get to Citifield easily, or to offer any other suggestions that might fit our plans better.

One more note: with luggage, it makes sense to prob stay near JFK, then get to the game, unless I can find a relatively inexpensive way to get to Flushing from JFK.

PS: We've stayed at Holiday Inn Express Jamaica twice; no problems with it, just don't think it fits our needs best.

I gotta help a Met fan.:D;) First off, a cab from JFK to the LaG area should be around $25. Here is a recent thread discussing getting a nice hotel near LaG on Priceline from our experts. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1383909&highlight=laguardia+hotels

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm usually capable enough of finding things on here - I did a search for "citifield" and that thread didn't come up (because it mentions "Citi Field").

New wrinkle: we live 25 miles from Syracuse Airport, 60 from Rochester. Flights are reasonable (Megabus would be $45pp, Amtrak $58pp, plane $69 & up - all one-way fares). Right now we might fly from Rochester, as they have better-timed and priced flights that would go directly to LaG, saving the problem of getting to Citifield from JFK.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm usually capable enough of finding things on here - I did a search for "citifield" and that thread didn't come up (because it mentions "Citi Field").

New wrinkle: we live 25 miles from Syracuse Airport, 60 from Rochester. Flights are reasonable (Megabus would be $45pp, Amtrak $58pp, plane $69 & up - all one-way fares). Right now we might fly from Rochester, as they have better-timed and priced flights that would go directly to LaG, saving the problem of getting to Citifield from JFK.

even better, then you can stay at one of the hotels by laguardia and take car service to the port. try dial 7's (212-777-7777)

Citi-field is very close to LGA(remember the planes landing)...its also closer to either the Manhattan Cruise terminal or the Brooklyn one where the Princess ships generally but not always leave from.

But Kennedy isn't that much farther and the commuter/public transit from Kennedy is easier then LGA to Citi-field(airtrain to Jamaica and then either the subway or LIRR to the Citi-field stop) ....but not to the Cruise terminals and I think the airport hotels by LGA are nicer....

from LGA to Citifield ask the hotel if there shuttle goes there...sometimes the hotel parking lots double for the Met games...

I agree with SMeyer. Going from JFK to LGA is something the cabbies do every day! All they do is hop on the Van Wyck Expressway and they are there. There are some travellers who need to transfer from LGA to JFK if they are coming from a small town and then need to transfer to an International flight. Do what is the best for you. Also take the flight that will give you the most time to come in, get settled and then off to Citifield.

Citi-field is very close to LGA(remember the planes landing)...its also closer to either the Manhattan Cruise terminal or the Brooklyn one where the Princess ships generally but not always leave from.

But Kennedy isn't that much farther and the commuter/public transit from Kennedy is easier then LGA to Citi-field(airtrain to Jamaica and then either the subway or LIRR to the Citi-field stop) ....but not to the Cruise terminals and I think the airport hotels by LGA are nicer....

from LGA to Citifield ask the hotel if there shuttle goes there...sometimes the hotel parking lots double for the Met games...

• 2 weeks later...

Firming up our plans somewhat. And, I should mention, I'm the type who will explore all possibilities to try to come up with the best solution: a few years back I had, at one point, 3 hotels and 2 rental cars reserved for the same day while trying to figure out what worked best.

So far: we booked Jet Blue to JFK, got tickets to a Mets game. I was looking at the Holiday Inn near Citi Field, but now I'm looking at a brand new Fairfield Inn in Brooklyn. I figure once we got to the hotel (by private car?), we could take subways to the ballpark, and the next day would be a short taxi ride to the pier.

I like the idea of staying in a (almost) brand new hotel. All of the above suggestions have been taken into account, and thanks again for the advice so far - still over a month to go to figure it all out.

Firming up our plans somewhat. And, I should mention, I'm the type who will explore all possibilities to try to come up with the best solution: a few years back I had, at one point, 3 hotels and 2 rental cars reserved for the same day while trying to figure out what worked best.

So far: we booked Jet Blue to JFK, got tickets to a Mets game. I was looking at the Holiday Inn near Citi Field, but now I'm looking at a brand new Fairfield Inn in Brooklyn. I figure once we got to the hotel (by private car?), we could take subways to the ballpark, and the next day would be a short taxi ride to the pier.

I like the idea of staying in a (almost) brand new hotel. All of the above suggestions have been taken into account, and thanks again for the advice so far - still over a month to go to figure it all out.

the Fairfield inn is about an half mile from House. Its on third avenue a major truck route across from a NYC Housing development...would I stay there? probably not.

Why not stay at the Crowne Plaza, which is also called the LaGuardia Plaza hotel?? Full service hotel with an indoor pool and jacuzzi, decent food and the bar across the street at the Marriott is very good and has cheap drink prices.

$149-169 plus tax for August 19 on Quikbook. Hotel shuttle to CitiField and the subway.

Car service to the Brooklyn pier the next morning-about $30 + tip (make your own arrangments-do NOT let the hotel make the arrangements. They will upcharge considerably.)

the Fairfield inn is about an half mile from House. Its on third avenue a major truck route across from a NYC Housing development...would I stay there? probably not.

Thanks for the heads-up. Noise doesn't bother me (I have more trouble sleeping when its too quiet), but my DW prob wouldn't appreciate it. The housing project wouldn't worry me - we wouldn't be doing much walking around the neighborhood anyways.

However, putting your and greatam's thoughts together, the Crowne Plaza might end up as the best overall choice.

Thanks again for the input.

• 4 weeks later...

Looking at all options and taking the great advice offered here, I now have a third reservation. I'm leaning towards the Marco Lexington near Laguardia. It seems to fit our needs well (close to Citi Field - free shuttle even; close to subways for a trip into the city). The hotel has very good reviews for the most part. I can't remember the last time I stayed at a non-chain hotel, but it looks like a good choice.

WE can either bus or Airtrain/Cab or Subway to get to the hotel or LGA. For the SAturday trip to the pier I plan on contacting the 7's number listed above.

For anyone else reading this thread - this hotel fits us best mainly because of the Mets game. there are numerous good choices throughout the City and surrounding areas.

Kicker,

You'll be fine there. Very busy area but safe. Also some of the best Asian food to be found anywhere. Cant make any specific recommendations. I grew up near there but wouldnt recognize the place anymore

Looking at all options and taking the great advice offered here, I now have a third reservation. I'm leaning towards the Marco Lexington near Laguardia. It seems to fit our needs well (close to Citi Field - free shuttle even; close to subways for a trip into the city). The hotel has very good reviews for the most part. I can't remember the last time I stayed at a non-chain hotel, but it looks like a good choice.

WE can either bus or Airtrain/Cab or Subway to get to the hotel or LGA. For the SAturday trip to the pier I plan on contacting the 7's number listed above.

For anyone else reading this thread - this hotel fits us best mainly because of the Mets game. there are numerous good choices throughout the City and surrounding areas.

Please be aware the hotel is dead smack in the middle of the largest Chinatown in the USA. LOTS of street noise and LOTS of people. Cabs are hard to come by in the area-I am very good at flagging taxis and have had NO luck coming up from the Flushing/Main subway station (3 times).

It may be a mile longer from the Crowne Plaza to Citi Field, but a WHOLE lot less traffic. And the Crowne has a free shuttle to Citi Field/the train station (30 minutes into Manhattan on the #7 train). Your choice but I just don't like the area of Flushing main. Tooooooo crowded, tooooo noisy.

Just an FYI about the Trip Advisor ratings of LaGuardia area hotels. They fail to even list the Marriott or the Crowne Plaza which are DIRECTLY across the Parkway from the airport (walking distance if you had to). And they have listed the ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE LaGuardia Airport hotel (even the outside looks like a fleabag, transient flop house) as the #8 hotel in the area as well as the really crappy Howard Johnson's. Seems quite a bit off (I stay in the area just about once a month for business)

Please be aware the hotel is dead smack in the middle of the largest Chinatown in the USA. LOTS of street noise and LOTS of people. Cabs are hard to come by in the area-I am very good at flagging taxis and have had NO luck coming up from the Flushing/Main subway station (3 times).

It may be a mile longer from the Crowne Plaza to Citi Field, but a WHOLE lot less traffic. And the Crowne has a free shuttle to Citi Field/the train station (30 minutes into Manhattan on the #7 train). Your choice but I just don't like the area of Flushing main. Tooooooo crowded, tooooo noisy.

Just an FYI about the Trip Advisor ratings of LaGuardia area hotels. They fail to even list the Marriott or the Crowne Plaza which are DIRECTLY across the Parkway from the airport (walking distance if you had to). And they have listed the ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE LaGuardia Airport hotel (even the outside looks like a fleabag, transient flop house) as the #8 hotel in the area as well as the really crappy Howard Johnson's. Seems quite a bit off (I stay in the area just about once a month for business)

Yes, they mention them. The Marriott is rated #3 out of 10 hotels in the East Elmhurst area, the LaGuardia Plaza (it's no longer a Crowne Plaza apparently) is ranked #7. The closest hotels to LGA are grouped by Trip Advisor in East Elmhurst, not Flushing.

The Marco is ranked #1 by Trip Advisor in its Flushing group.

Yes, they mention them. The Marriott is rated #3 out of 10 hotels in the East Elmhurst area, the LaGuardia Plaza (it's no longer a Crowne Plaza apparently) is ranked #7. The closest hotels to LGA are grouped by Trip Advisor in East Elmhurst, not Flushing.

The Marco is ranked #1 by Trip Advisor in its Flushing group.

That makes a lot of sense for people unfamiliar with the area???? If you were doing a Google search for hotel reviews in the LGA area, would you know the difference between East Elmhurst and Flushing if you weren't from the area or hadn't done a lot of research? Seems rather ridiculous but I don't put a lot of faith in Trip Advisor anyhow.

The LaGuardia Plaza hotel group also owns the Hampton Inn next door (the Crowne owned the land for a long, long time). And since Hilton and IHG are competitors, it was either ditch IHG (Crowne) or Hilton (Hampton Inn). Large battle brewed for about 3 years and it appeared from newspaper reports that Hilton offered more benefits and a cheaper franchise fee. Plus the Hampton Inn did not meet the specifications to be anything other than a Holiday Inn Express in IHG.

So the owners chose to stick it out with Hilton. The standards of the Crowne have been maintained (white tablecloth dining, shoe shine person in the lobby, full service hotel with a great indoor pool and exercise room, full service concierge, next day laundry/cleaning service, etc. etc) and the same people who worked for the Crowne still work there (except the hotel manager).

Archived