Help me plan an itinerary in Canada?

I have a friend who will visit Canada in October and she needs your help to plan her route.

She will have about 35 days in total.

She will fly into and out of Toronto.

Arriving on the 8th of October.

The first idea is to take a flight to Calgary, and drive a caravan in the area of the national parks and rock areas, a route of up to 15 - 19 days. What route could you suggest here?

And now is the big question: should she drive across Canada from west to east and then connect with the east coast (maybe 5.359 km in total?) or is it better to concentrate on touring the middle of Canada and go to the coasts?

And finally she could tour the east coast from Niagra to Quebec and Tadoussac (for about 10 to 12 days).

Any ideas or suggestions, and what she SHOULD NOT MISS, will be very welcome, she needs your help, please?????????????

</SPAN>

Hi there. Since most people who come to this forum are interested in cruising you may not get the help you want. I suggest you go to the sister site of CC which is TripAdvisor.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ListForums-g153339-i49-Canada.html

She will have to post her questions under several provinces.

As to how your how your friend should plan her trip, that is up to her. She will get varying advice from people in various provinces. I am from the real East coast in Nova Scotia, and of course think she should spend some time here. She will not be able to see everything, so some tough choices will be necessary.

Logistics of getting flights and rental vehicles will also have to be factored in.

If money were no object I would fly to Calgary and drive to British Columbia. Then fly to Hamilton and visit Niagara Falls, Ottawa, Montreal, and Quebec, and whatever else she has time for.

I have a friend who will visit Canada in October and she needs your help to plan her route.

She will have about 35 days in total.

She will fly into and out of Toronto.

Arriving on the 8th of October.

The first idea is to take a flight to Calgary, and drive a caravan in the area of the national parks and rock areas, a route of up to 15 - 19 days. What route could you suggest here?

And now is the big question: should she drive across Canada from west to east and then connect with the east coast (maybe 5.359 km in total?) or is it better to concentrate on touring the middle of Canada and go to the coasts?

And finally she could tour the east coast from Niagra to Quebec and Tadoussac (for about 10 to 12 days).

Any ideas or suggestions, and what she SHOULD NOT MISS, will be very welcome, she needs your help, please?????????????

</SPAN>

The driving distances are very long. From Calgary to vancouver and perhaps a side trip to Jasper and Victoria is good for at least 10 days. Then fly to Toronto,take a tour of Niagara if necessary although it is 'touristy' Montreal and Quebec city should not be missed and the north shore of the St Lawrence river from Quebec to La Malbaie is gorgeous. Montreal to Halifax via the north shore of the river is a long drive as well. She would need at least6 days. Canada is so big it's almost impossible to see all of the highlights in one visit. Think Madrid to Sverdlovsk.

Thanks so much for your suggestions...... I have passed them on to my friend. Any further ideas will be of great help and very welcome. I do understand that most people here are travelling with cruises, but I also now that there are many Canadians out there who might be able to help with any ideas. Thanks so much again.

Caramelo,

As distances are huge, she might want to consider mixing train and caravan/car travel.

She will need to take into account the weather and let that guide her in her travel choices.

She might want to pick either the east or west coast and concentrate on that one region.

If she picks Calgary, I would travel south to Watertons Lake NP before heading north to Banff and Jasper, etc. From Watertons, we continued on to Glacier NP in Montana before heading back to Fernie in Canada. Lots of glorious scenic NP choices in this region, then across to the West Coast and Vancouver Island, via the Sunshine Coast. She would have no trouble filling in 35 days!

We enjoyed Niagara and Niagara on the Lake last year. We loved touring PEI and Cape Breton, in the East, and plan to tour more of the east this year.

if she fly`s into calgary ,i would go into banff and then take the 1A to hwy 93 then north to jasper it is the most beautiful hwy i think in alberta, then take 16 west to vancouver

Archived