Hanoi

chez

We will be on the January 26 cruise through southeast Asia and notice that the shore excursions have not been posted yet. I have heard that in the past, Oceania had an overnight excursion to Hanoi which is something that we find interesting. Does anyone have any information on this past excursion and what the cost was? Thank you.

I think that a tour with an overnight stay would be the best way to see Hanoi, if I remember correctly it is about a 4 hour drive each way from the port, we were on a different line but decided against their tour because it consisted of a 4 hr drive, 4 hour tour (w/lunch) and then a 4 hour drive back to the ship. We were already exhausted from a previous overnight tour and in that part of the world, and as the transportation isn't always as comfortable as we are used to, so we decided to tour the fishing villages closer to the ship, For us, Hanoi will have to wait for the next trip.

It is closer to a three hour drive each way and possibly less depending on traffic. If you leave early in the morning it can be done in one day. However, an overnight is obviously preferable.

Cruising the Baltic, Oceania goes into Rostock (Warnemunde), and it is a 3-hour bus trip to Berlin. The ship has tours to Berlin, and though it is a long day, you can relax a bit on the bus in both directions, and they hold dinner for the buses to return. They will post the excursions about four months before the cruise if I remember correctly.

We took this long and tiring trip to and from Hanoi in one day last March on a Seabourne cruise. It took us almost 4 hours each way and it certainly wasn't anything like the German autobahn. The roads were very bumpy and in bad shape and the traffic was horrible. We didn't think it was worth it for the short time we spent in Hanoi. That being said, the people on our cruise who did the overnight in Hanoi were very pleased with their trip.....every one of them liked it and thought it was worth it. We hired our own guide and we were really pleased with the guide but there just wasn't enough time in Hanoi to justify the 8 hours in the van. The day we were there it was raining and surprisingly chilly which probably added to our discomfort.

I too did the one day trip to Hanoi from a Seabourn cruise. I guess we had better luck than you because it took less than three hours each way. And although it's still a lot of driving it was better than skipping Hanoi altogether which was the other option for us. We got to see everything we wanted, had a great lunch and slept all the way back.

If the cost is not prohibitive, I would suggest an overnight in Ha Noi.

Ha Noi still retains much more of the "old Viet Nam" character than Saigon does - but that is changing fast. Just look at Shanghai and Beijing of today - there is very little to make you think you are in actually China (and not in Japan, Singapore or some other western metropolis).

There is enough to see in Ha Noi to warrant an overnight, IMO. If you can, do not miss a performance of the water puppets - a quintessential Vietnamese experience (tickets should be obtained ahead of time). Also, there are a number of great restaurants to make your overnight stay even more enjoyable.

Caveat, you need to balance your time there so you can also see Ha Long Bay

JMO

If the cost is not prohibitive, I would suggest an overnight in Ha Noi.

Ha Noi still retains much more of the "old Viet Nam" character than Saigon does - but that is changing fast. Just look at Shanghai and Beijing of today - there is very little to make you think you are in actually China (and not in Japan, Singapore or some other western metropolis).

There is enough to see in Ha Noi to warrant an overnight, IMO. If you can, do not miss a performance of the water puppets - a quintessential Vietnamese experience (tickets should be obtained ahead of time). Also, there are a number of great restaurants to make your overnight stay even more enjoyable.

Caveat, you need to balance your time there so you can also see Ha Long Bay

JMO

need your help! We are saiing Singapore to Hong Kong in Feb '13 on Celebrity and do have a 2 day/1 night "lay-over" for Hanoi....when you did your overnigh was it a ship sponsored tour...or a private one? If private can you share the company please, if you still have the info? Thanks!! LuAnn

LuAnn,

Not to jump on Paul's feet here but I used a private company for all stops in Viet Nam and they were terrific. It is Tony Ann tours. You can google them and get the info. They'll make all arrangements for you if you want to overnight. Try to stay on the Metropole for a feeling of old Viet Nam.

need your help! We are saiing Singapore to Hong Kong in Feb '13 on Celebrity and do have a 2 day/1 night "lay-over" for Hanoi....when you did your overnigh was it a ship sponsored tour...or a private one? If private can you share the company please, if you still have the info? Thanks!! LuAnn

LuAnn,

We did it as a land tour. Our guide in that area was terrific.

I will send you an e mail soon. Feel free to compare with Henry's guide and choose whichever works best for you.

Paul

LuAnn,

Not to jump on Paul's feet here but I used a private company for all stops in Viet Nam and they were terrific. It is Tony Ann tours. You can google them and get the info. They'll make all arrangements for you if you want to overnight. Try to stay on the Metropole for a feeling of old Viet Nam.

There are no feet here...as we are all trying to help each other!!!:p;)

Thanks for that info...it's going in the file!! LuAnn

Can anyone comment on how safe the food is it is at local restaurants/curb side sellers?

I am quite sure it's much better to drink only bottled water and use purified ice, but I don't know about the foods.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

I have traveled the World in nearly every way possible from backpacking hostels to 5* hotels, I am very particular about bottled water almost everywhere and careful about uncooked foods (salads, etc.)where I am unsure about sanitation, but I admit I do often try cooked streetfoods that smell good or appeal to me when the opportunity presents itself and I have never had any problems.

but I admit I do often try cooked streetfoods that smell good or appeal to me when the opportunity presents itself and I have never had any problems.

May I add that the food should not only be cooked but cooked freshly and be still hot (cooked preferably as you watch).

Cooked food sitting in the hot sun for hours is not safe to eat.

Archived