Proper etiquette

JetCruister

i thought the rudeness described on cc was exaggerated until our 1st cruise and then i realised the people here were not. one example was during 70's night and cd was throwing t shirts into crowd . the women in front of us in her 40's well dressed tried to catch one that was just out of her reach but she touched it and it fell to ground right at my dw feet . my dw put her foot on it and went to pick it up when said women turned bent down and grabbed it from under dw foot and said "im having that" . as she grabbed it she unbalanced my dw and i had to hold her to stop her from falling.

i thought the rudeness described on cc was exaggerated until our 1st cruise and then i realised the people here were not. one example was during 70's night and cd was throwing t shirts into crowd . the women in front of us in her 40's well dressed tried to catch one that was just out of her reach but she touched it and it fell to ground right at my dw feet . my dw put her foot on it and went to pick it up when said women turned bent down and grabbed it from under dw foot and said "im having that" . as she grabbed it she unbalanced my dw and i had to hold her to stop her from falling.

Geeezz....:rolleyes:. The one thing about that kind of person? They don't

have manners at home either. (Not that it makes you feel any better)

but personally, when you meet people who have no manners? I think

having them (or the lack of them) goes back to upbringing.

Please, thank you, all those kinds of things, busting in line without

the small words, "excuse me".....all goes back to how folks were

raised (in my opinion anyway).

Geeezz....:rolleyes:. The one thing about that kind of person? They don't

have manners at home either. (Not that it makes you feel any better)

but personally, when you meet people who have no manners? I think

having them (or the lack of them) goes back to upbringing.

Please, thank you, all those kinds of things, busting in line without

the small words, "excuse me".....all goes back to how folks were

raised (in my opinion anyway).

i mean it was a t shirt. how desperate was she. we laughed about it afterwards

If you want to see pushing into lines at buffets, elevators, theaters, etc, try sailing on a Costa ship. Yikes! The muster drill was just moments away from becoming a UFC sanctioned event!

LOL

There are some cultures that don't take to queues well. The culture most associated with Costa would be one of them. No offense intended, that's a personal observation. They are wonderful people, but, standing in line doesn't hold any attraction for them.

If you want proper queue etiquette, try the Brits. They are a shining example of proper patience in a queue.

As always, there are individuals who act in contradiction to the above generalities - so, I don't need anecdotes of why I'm wrong.

While I don't know the exact circumstances of what actually occurred when going through the buffet with stations set up & there's an open space in between the line it only make sense for someone to cut in while the other person is serving themselves. Some people take very long to dish out items & by the time there finished I'll be long gone. It actually speeds thing up that way. I certainly not going to push you out of the way but if you're poking along & there's an open space I'm going for it.

JetCruister, You nailed one of my pet peeves. Etiquette is not what it once was, in many ways, not just at the buffet. Here are some of the most common issues that I have:

1) Ever noticed when you are walking down the sidewalk or in a mall how people will not keep to the right. People will almost try to run over you walking right into your face, even though you are keeping to the right. This was not a problem decades ago.

2) Cutting in line. This is less a big problem where I live in South Georgia than when I lived in the Washington, DC area, or NE. Many people consider their time much more important than yours.

3) Interrupting you when you are in mid-sentence. This is not as big an issue, but still irritating.

4) I have lived in Saudi Arabia and Germany, and traveled quite a bit in Europe, Mid-East and some in the Far East. The worst offenders of breaking in line are people from the Mid-East, perhaps its a cultural thing. Spanish and Italians are not as bad, but they also tend to do this. Germans will follow the rules, but they are very aggressive when they want somethings. Brits are generally very polite. Of course, there are individuals of all cultures that are not this way and Americans that are, but I have noticed these tendencies.

On two recent Med cruises, we noticed that with many Spanish passengers that breaking in line was a real problem. Interesting, since while in Barcelona, we did not notice this problem.

I think something comes over some people when they are on a cruise. I am convinced that many who are super rude on a ship would never think of acting that way in their everyday lives. Maybe it is all those commercials emphasizing being pampered on cruises.

I think something comes over some people when they are on a cruise. I am convinced that many who are super rude on a ship would never think of acting that way in their everyday lives. Maybe it is all those commercials emphasizing being pampered on cruises.

Not quite, I go to a buffet here in Florida & it very common to see people act the same way going from item to item. I'm really beginning to think people who are shocked at seeing this for the first time don't normally go to such places.

I respectfully disagree. I think rude people are rude no matter where they are.

I think rude people are rude no matter where they are.

I absolutely agree with your sentiment! However, I think that some of those "naturally rude" people may feel that they can get away with it more on a ship -- since they'll never see any of those people again. :rolleyes:

Hooray to the person who posted this.

I fully back you on this one.

This is something that really really really really winds me up.

A lack of basic manners is inexcusable. There is no need for rudeness especially when one is having a nice holiday.

However, people should stand up for themselves and put rude individuals in their rightful place. If you are not confident in doing so, the act or threat of calling for security soon puts them back in their box and also makes them think twice about being rude again to another person.

I am fed up of those lazy ass vultures that circle the buffet stands waiting for a gap in the queue/line so they can pounce in.

I have experienced buffet rage, being shoved by pensioners wielding their trays like a riot shield and then looking with the evil eye at me for not rolling out the red carpet for them.

And not just content with pushing in, they pile their plate so high I can see snow on the peeks.

I normally find that being firm, polite but assertive works. The other thing one can do, is when they have their salad on their tray, accidentally elbow nudge their tray to the salad falls off, saying "oh im so sorry" and walk off.

In the words of the great philosopher, MR T, I pity the fool who queue jumps me.

Archived