Tis Himself reporting from the Amsterdam

Himself

Hi

We also June 10th did not get close enough to see glacier and saw no caving. A big disappoinment for me. But After I got of ship I just made me just want to come back. Thinking ahead I may see if I can get a group togethe and do a land tour of Alaska. 1 cruise on Amsterdam then following year land tour. I saw some wonderful tours out of Anchorage for one or two days. Plus using the ferries to get point to point. I can dream. would love to get back to Mendenhall Glacier where I can't believe I had another camera problem my fault I forgot to put the flash card in and did not know it until I had to change battery. The sun came out and I have noting to show because it started to rain. One thing about Mendenhall glacier while there was losts of ice and large iceburg's in the water I saw no carving

Mary

I am in the public library were I get 20 minutes of FREE internet. Was at the Raptor Center this morning and loved every minute of it. Also got a tour of Sitka highlights. Went back to the ship for lunch and then came back into town to go to the drug store. Before I went into St. Michael's Cathedral, I got some pictures of an eagle on top of the cross. This is worth seeing just for the ICONS. I do love Icons. If I were building a Church I would want stained glass windows that were in the style of ICONS.

The salmon are literally jumping out of the water over near where the tenders dock. Am having a wonderful cruise, I wish you were here to share it with me. Any Questions

Himself

This is coming to you live form the Sitka public library were I am looking at the AMSTERDAM in the Harbor.

Hi

We also June 10th did not get close enough to see glacier and saw no caving. A big disappoinment for me. But After I got of ship I just made me just want to come back. Thinking ahead I may see if I can get a group togethe and do a land tour of Alaska. 1 cruise on Amsterdam then following year land tour. I saw some wonderful tours out of Anchorage for one or two days. Plus using the ferries to get point to point. I can dream. would love to get back to Mendenhall Glacier where I can't believe I had another camera problem my fault I forgot to put the flash card in and did not know it until I had to change battery. The sun came out and I have noting to show because it started to rain. One thing about Mendenhall glacier while there was losts of ice and large iceburg's in the water I saw no carving

Mary

That was too bad. You should have been there yesterday when the AMSTERDAM was in.

We were within a mile of the Glacier. It was at times spectacular.

Father,

How are you finding the service on the ship?

For the most part I am finding it excellent. Tonight was the "Master Chef Dinner" and I was not too hungry and I ate up in the Lido. (I had a minute steak, some greens and a few fries.

The staff up there could not have been nicer to me. I have found the service in the dining room to be very good and I would say the service overall has been excellent!

We have had four Formal nights on this cruise. The first full day at Sea--Saturday--the day before Anchorage--Thursday night--Sunday evening--between Kodaik and Hubbard Glacier and tomorrow (Wednesday) our last full day at Sea.

For the most part I am finding it excellent. Tonight was the "Master Chef Dinner" and I was not too hungry and I ate up in the Lido. (I had a minute steak, some greens and a few fries.

The staff up there could not have been nicer to me. I have found the service in the dining room to be very good and I would say the service overall has been excellent!

On the Master Chef Dinner -- Sitka for us -- was also the night of Le Cirque in the Pinnacle.

I knew this before we left on the cruise -- so on embarkation day we made a reservation for Canaletto that evening - wonderful.

We have had four Formal nights on this cruise. The first full day at Sea--Saturday--the day before Anchorage--Thursday night--Sunday evening--between Kodaik and Hubbard Glacier and tomorrow (Wednesday) our last full day at Sea.

Yes -- those were the same evenings we had formal nights as well.

I am in the public library were I get 20 minutes of FREE internet. Was at the Raptor Center this morning and loved every minute of it. Also got a tour of Sitka highlights. Went back to the ship for lunch and then came back into town to go to the drug store. Before I went into St. Michael's Cathedral, I got some pictures of an eagle on top of the cross. This is worth seeing just for the ICONS. I do love Icons. If I were building a Church I would want stained glass windows that were in the style of ICONS.

The salmon are literally jumping out of the water over near where the tenders dock. Am having a wonderful cruise, I wish you were here to share it with me. Any Questions

Himself

This is coming to you live form the Sitka public library were I am looking at the AMSTERDAM in the Harbor.

It just doesn't GET any better, does it? Free internet/eagles/salmon and the PUBLIC library!!!! What a cruise; one you won't forget quickly! ;) Anne

It just doesn't GET any better, does it? Free internet/eagles/salmon and the PUBLIC library!!!! What a cruise; one you won't forget quickly! ;) Anne

I certainly hope I do not forget this one quickly!

Today we are at Sea. Last night I had a minute steak up in the Lido which I enjoyed very much. There is not too much to turn me on in the dining room tonight so we will see what is upstarirs. We went back on Pacific time over night. I got up at 5 AM to do some laundry. We are at sea today. It reminds me of the old story "I joined the navy to see wht world and what did I see? I saw the sea!" We are on the Pacific Ocean rather than the inside passage. This tends to make me very sleepy. I will write later.

Himself

This report came to you live from the Pacific Ocean. Tho only reason I am not falling in is that I am on the m.s. AMSTERDAM!

Today we are at Sea. Last night I had a minute steak up in the Lido which I enjoyed very much. There is not too much to turn me on in the dining room tonight so we will see what is upstarirs. We went back on Pacific time over night. I got up at 5 AM to do some laundry. We are at sea today. It reminds me of the old story "I joined the navy to see wht world and what did I see? I saw the sea!" We are on the Pacific Ocean rather than the inside passage. This tends to make me very sleepy. I will write later.

Himself

This report came to you live from the Pacific Ocean. Tho only reason I am not falling in is that I am on the m.s. AMSTERDAM!

I was always told the laundry rooms were closed through the night. Have you found the laundry rooms open 24 hours a day?

I am not looking forward to the sea days on the open ocean. I pray we will meet with some pretty calm seas the days we are out. I have been seasick on a ferry going across Lake Michigan. It was not pretty. :eek:

I was always told the laundry rooms were closed through the night. Have you found the laundry rooms open 24 hours a day?

I am not looking forward to the sea days on the open ocean. I pray we will meet with some pretty calm seas the days we are out. I have been seasick on a ferry going across Lake Michigan. It was not pretty. :eek:

Regarding the self serve laundry--shhhh.

Regarding the open sea, tod It has been much nicer thaniLake Michigan without stabelizers.

I walked two miles on the lower proenade deck this afternoon!

Mary

buy those sea bands thay fit on your wrists. I only took my off only to shower. Just keep them on. The sea was calm when I was there. I got mine at Walmart.

still trying to get my photo's together

Have a wonderful cruise

Mary

Mary

buy those sea bands thay fit on your wrists. I only took my off only to shower. Just keep them on. The sea was calm when I was there. I got mine at Walmart.

still trying to get my photo's together

Have a wonderful cruise

Mary

Believe me after that experience on the ferry, I was well prepared in Alaska. I wore a seaband 24/7, even in the shower. I had two so after my shower I could change it. I also took Bonine every night. I still got queasy numerous times and would then take 2 ginger root capsules. They always did the trick, thank goodness. SInce that cruise I have purchased the electronic sea band called a Relief Band. I understand they work very well for most people, but so far haven't had to test it out. Unfortunately you now need a prescrpition for it and they are throw away now. When the battery dies, you toss them. Mine has a replaceable battery. I hope I don't need to test it, but I will have it if I need it.

Believe me after that experience on the ferry, I was well prepared in Alaska. I wore a seaband 24/7, even in the shower. I had two so after my shower I could change it. I also took Bonine every night. I still got queasy numerous times and would then take 2 ginger root capsules. They always did the trick, thank goodness. SInce that cruise I have purchased the electronic sea band called a Relief Band. I understand they work very well for most people, but so far haven't had to test it out. Unfortunately you now need a prescrpition for it and they are throw away now. When the battery dies, you toss them. Mine has a replaceable battery. I hope I don't need to test it, but I will have it if I need it.

The front office usually has some pills to help with sea sickness. I am blessed, I have not had it yet. This cruise, in my opinion has not been bad out here on the Pacific Ocean. Last July I was on the Rotterdam and our trip up on the outside was very rough. I did not get sick but it was rough and as soon as we got into Stephens Passage I thought "we are okey now", and I went sound asleep. That has not been my experience this year. The rolling factors, which are bound to happen, have been most minimal.

Himself.

It started out rainy this morning but as the day went on things cleared a bit and "old sol" came out in glory this afternoon. I was hoping to get to Buchardt Gardens tomorrow and still might. However my plane goes off at 12:30 on Friday and I have be here to check in on line on Friday and get my group selection on South West. Since I want to be in the A section, I better be on line at 12:30PM. I will catch the shuttle into town and see if I can get something up there. I will leave the ship and 9:30 on Friday morning and head to the airport.

It was a bit sad tonight in the Dining Room as the Indonesian waters sang their farewell song and that always gets me a bit. I have never been glad to get off a ship and I always feel a bit sad when I get to the end of a cruise.

End of Report for evening.

ItI was hoping to get to Buchardt Gardens tomorrow and still might.

End of Report for evening.

So happy to hear you are having a wonderful cruise. I am planning on doing the same. I don't leave for two weeks, but I have started packing. Can you tell I am excited. :D

As far as Butchart Gardens, if you want to get there cheaply, you can take public transportation. Here are the instructions I copied from "Putterdude":

Just walk out of the terminal, cross the street, turn left and you will find a bus stop. Take a #30 or #31 bus to the Royal Oak exchange and then transfer to a #75 bus; you just reverse the procedure coming back. Your fare each way is $2.50 pp or $1.65 if a senior....CDN funds only.

I hope you make it!!! We are really looking forward to seeing the gardens. We hear they are beautiful and a must see.

So happy to hear you are having a wonderful cruise. I am planning on doing the same. I don't leave for two weeks, but I have started packing. Can you tell I am excited. :D

As far as Butchart Gardens, if you want to get there cheaply, you can take public transportation. Here are the instructions I copied from "Putterdude":

Just walk out of the terminal, cross the street, turn left and you will find a bus stop. Take a #30 or #31 bus to the Royal Oak exchange and then transfer to a #75 bus; you just reverse the procedure coming back. Your fare each way is $2.50 pp or $1.65 if a senior....CDN funds only.

I hope you make it!!! We are really looking forward to seeing the gardens. We hear they are beautiful and a must see.

Thank you for the informattion. I have gotten to know you quite well over the past couple of weeks. Yours will be the next two week cruise on the AMSTERDAM. I understand there are two one week charter cruises coming up and then your cruise goes back to the two week cruise. I will, of course, watch your postings with interest.

...As far as Butchart Gardens, if you want to get there cheaply, you can take public transportation...
If you chose to take public transit to Butchart, please make sure to check schedules for the various bus routes. While it will certainly be cheaper than other options, you may well lose considerable time in making connections, either going or coming back. I'm sure you know that CVS runs a bus shuttle for a fixed price (C$50 pp) that includes admission to Butchart. A little more $$ but a lot less worry. Just saying' ...

http://www.cvscruisevictoria.com/schedules_butchart.html

If you chose to take public transit to Butchart, please make sure to check schedules for the various bus routes. While it will certainly be cheaper than other options, you may well lose considerable time in making connections, either going or coming back. I'm sure you know that CVS runs a bus shuttle for a fixed price (C$50 pp) that includes admission to Butchart. A little more $$ but a lot less worry. Just saying' ...

http://www.cvscruisevictoria.com/schedules_butchart.html

Yup, another good option, especially since they added times. Originally their schedule did not work well for the Amsterdam. It has many more choices now.

You could also take the shuttle from the ship to downtown and pick up the #75 there. Lots of options to choose from. Some take taxis, but that is very costly.

Hi

I took the 50.00 shuttle to Butchart Gardens.

here is time table

leave downtown

9 Am, 9:45, 10:30,11:15,12:55pm,1:10,2:20,4:00pm

Arrive at Butterfly

9:30, 10:15,11.00,11:45,12:40,1:40,2:50,4:30

Arrive at Butchart

9:30,10:20,11:05,11:50,12:45,1:45,2:55,4:30

Leave Butchart

9:35,10:20,11;15,12:00,12:55,1:55,3:05,4:45

Arrive Downtown

10:10,10:55,11:50,12:35,1:30.2:30,3:40,5:20,6:50

buses do fill up

Mary

Hi Father did you sign up for luggage direct? If you did you will get your boarding pass with your tages. there is a travel place you might be able to get your boarding ticket there. Or right up the street there is a Marrott I am sure they will let you print out your boarding pass there. Or you can go to the ships computer and ask the lady if she would print out one for you... Good luck... going to miss your posts. Sorry to see your cruise ending I am sure you feel the same way I did when my cruise ended on June 24

Mary

Archived