Costco vacuum bags

STEVENJAN

Costco has vacuum bags on sale next week and we were thinking about packing some of our garments ( underwear, socks and such) in them. Has anyone used these? Can you borrow the vacuum cleaner from housekeeping to repack? Any suggestions?

Don't know about the Costco bags, but most compression packing bags these days don't require a vacuum. I have serveral different brands and none of them require a vacuum. I just fill mine up, and lay on it. Some people roll theirs, but mine are usually too full to roll.:rolleyes:

Maybe true that most bags now have one way valves and you can force the air out of them.... but if they are full and you want to really compact them you can borrow a vac from your cabin steward the night before. They are so busy the last morning you might have trouble getting them to let you use them.

I used the vac the afternoon of the last full day with no problem:)

Not sure why you'd need to "compress" such small items to begin with....stuff them anywhere...wrinkles don't matter in underwear and socks! I fill any empty space in a suitcase with those types of items....underwear, swimsuits, socks...and misc. items, like sunscreen, lotions, toothpaste, etc....

I started with socks, underwear and such. Did I have to make a list. We have sailed over 7 times and you can see by my posting I am a "Perfect Packer". I do know where to put things and why I put them there. The point is the question that I asked, "If I compress items will I be able to use the vacuum on board to repack?"

I had used the space bags a few cruises ago as it was an Alaskan cruise, which meant lots of layers, but I also wanted to take some woolies (mittens, scarves, etc.). I didn't need to use a vacuum (even at home) for these, but in getting that efficient, I managed to make the suitcase pretty heavy. The clerk at the Amtrak office was claiming we were over the weight allowance. Fortunately, when he finally relented and put the suitcase on the scale, it was just a few ounces under the max.

So if you're flying or taking the train, and need to stay under a certain weight, make doubly sure you're not overpacking.

I had used the space bags a few cruises ago as it was an Alaskan cruise' date=' which meant lots of layers, but I also wanted to take some woolies (mittens, scarves, etc.). I didn't need to use a vacuum (even at home) for these, but in getting that efficient, I managed to make the suitcase pretty heavy. The clerk at the Amtrak office was claiming we were over the weight allowance. Fortunately, when he finally relented and put the suitcase on the scale, it was just a few ounces under the max.

So if you're flying or taking the train, and need to stay under a certain weight, make doubly sure you're not overpacking.[/quote']

That's why we bought a portable weigh scale, so we know going both ways how close we are to the weight limits.

Heck, I cant always find my cabin steward period on some lines. I had one cabin steward who didnt even get my cabin cleaned three nights because he said it was my fault we changed dining times. I would never assume you have some great cabin steward who will go out of his way and go get a vacuum ..(they dont usually have them with you when you do find them, .. so now you will have to tip him to go bring you a vacuum.

My experience with over 30 cruises says this would be too much trouble for me.

with the compressed/vac type bags the weight can add up very quickly

have used some of these type bags-- and i find that dry-cleaning bags for your evening clothes and the 2.5 gallon zip-locks for everyday type things work better.--just my experience.

I have some of the ones the sell on TV and Walmart, and a vacuum is not necessary unles its stuffed. You can lay, sit or walk on it to get the air out with the same affect. When I use my vacuum on it, it's like its done in 3-5 seconds, so now I dont bother.

I fold all my shirts VERY carefully, then put them in these bags. I do a belly flop on them (it's fun) and they are compressed just fine. I've been using the same bags from Target for about 4 years. I've never had to replace one yet. I think they are great.

If you don't enjoy rolling around on the floor as much as I do, YMMV. :D

Archived