Calling all HAL CC addicts out there ... would you pay to use the Boards?

Okay, I admit I saw this over on the Celebrity boards, but isn't duplication the sincerest form of flattery?;)

From what I read on the Celebrity thread, CC is considering offering "premium" membership in the CC message boards for a fee. On the Celebrity Boards they made this a poll, but I've had enough of polls for the short term:o , so I'm just putting the question out there because I think it's a fascinating one.

If you have to pay to use the CC message boards, will you? My answer is it depends how much. That's my answer for almost everything:) .

Also, I suggested it could be a membership like Webshots where you can only post a certain number of times per month if you're a non-paying member. Guess that would make some of us stop and think before we start tapping the keys!!! LOL!!!:D

So what does everyone think? How addicted are you?

Hmmm...I'm with Heather...it all depends on how much. I do subscribe to Webshots and don't mind paying the fee...since it lets me post as many pictures as I want to an album.

I do get a ton of information from this site and if I couldn't access it...you have to wonder...how much information would be on here? I'm sure we'd lose some folks...but I for one think I could be suckered into paying a small fee. After all, where else would I go to chat about my favorite activity :rolleyes:

Tiffany

Like everyone else, it would depend on how much?

As a virtual "newbie" to these Boards (I found the web site at the end of December) I have had a lot of pleasure reading and learning and even posting once in a while. We have been on 16 cruises, (usually the longer ones) for a total of 199 days and I have learned more in these last three months than I ever knew when we were cruising. Due to ill-health we may not cruise again (I am still hoping??), but it all depends..... Just to read about other peoples' cruises, their anticipation as they book and get close and then go on their cruises and post a report either from the cruise or after, keeps my cruising memories and longing alive. If everyone had to pay we may not get the same help and information as the membership would be more limited. Now I have found CC I would really miss my daily check.

On another board I am on, you can choose to be a sponsor...and depending on the level of sponsorship you get various perks for doing so...but the board is still there for all to use with the exception of a private forum for said sponsors.

I lurk a lot here and really enjoy the board - I guess it would depend on the amount, etc.

As may have said already ...It depends on how much was charged.

HOWEVER....If I were PAYING to post and access this site I would expect CC to show more restraint before pulling threads w/o explaination. As an example there were several threads regarding the resignation of the head of RCCL on the Royal Caribbean board that just disappeared. If I were PAYING for the privilige to post the excuse that "It's their BB and as it's free so you have no right to complain" would no longer be valid. I would expect the moderators to explain why threads were pulled, not just have them disappear.

Just m $0.02

K&RCurt, that's a very good point!

Cuttle, I love your post ... most especially I love this part: "Just to read about other peoples' cruises, their anticipation as they book and get close and then go on their cruises and post a report either from the cruise or after, keeps my cruising memories and longing alive."

No I don't think I would pay. I would miss the C.C. Board very much but there are other boards out there and really I do spend too much time on this and not enough time doing other things!

I know my DH would be much happier if I wasn't on the Board so much.;) ;)

Jennie

I think it would drive folks to another board. Of course, that one might implement a fee as well. While I'm basically against having to pay, it would depend on how much. Then, if the price were reasonable, I would expect NO ADVERTISING and a board that was kept up and running efficiently 24/7.

I'm with you there, Jim, 100%. In fact, that's how Webshots is. If you pay then you have no advertising. I don't pay. I have 2 accounts, but they're both the free ones. I'm happy limiting the number of photos I put up there.

But being limited in how many posts I could make, or how much access I would have, could be a problem for me;) ... I'm not exactly a woman of few words. No comments, anyone!!!:p

I do quite a bit of lurking here and I've learned the value of the information so I might pay but probably not. If I had never been to this site before I know I wouldn't pay to find out what's going on.

What you don't become aware of on these boards is amazing. After only finding CC recently, now I learn there are other similar boards. I have never searched for them, but this thread has me Googling around. Interesting what you find! Contrary to what I posted previously, I would like to change my "vote" - I guess I'll stay with CC as long as they don't start charging a fee.

I miss the old days of the internet, before the Web, where information was traded freely. I'm getting really tired of having to pay for so much stuff online that used to be free.

In order for me to even think about paying for CC they'd have to remove the censorship (i.e. allow users to share their TA's contact info), have the board working much more smoothly on a consistent basis and have zero advertising on the paid site.

Many good points listed. I personally wouldn't pay. There's plenty of cruise message boards out there existing that are free for use. To comment on HDboy's "Internet information is supposed to be free" - this isn't always true. If the board is privately owned (I'm not sure who owns this one as I haven't paid attention), they can control who can view & participate and have free reign of censorship. They can also put a price on the information if they choose.

Archived