Recommend good cruise for toddler?

ottawa_cruiser_81

My hubby and I are hoping to take our son on a cruise next year for our first big family vacation; he will be turning 3 at the time of travel.

We have traveled NCL in our pre-baby days but would like to try something a little more family-friendly. Disney seemed the obvious choice but they are very pricey. Carnival seems quite reasonable although I wonder how kid-friendly the rooms and amenities are?

Has anyone traveled Carnival with a young one before? If so, any tips or tricks. We were hoping to get a balcony room so that we could at least sit out and chat in the evenings when he goes down for the night...although I wonder how wise this is or if he would be able to lock us out of the room on the balcony.

A balcony is almost a must if you have small kids....just for the napping and "early to bed" reason! There's no way a 3 year old will be able to access the balcony alone or "lock you out" on the balcony!

I guess that thread is good if you want to go NCL or RCI but seems to bust on Carnival. I have seen plenty of positive threads about carnival too.

One would have to decide if NCL is worth the extra $ and if freestyle cruising is for them. I tend to like the structure of set early dining but would be willing to give NCL a go if everything were equal.

As far as strangers changing diapers, if the child is in daycare or an early education program, then somebody else is changing diapers, and while you may know the teacher/staff, do you really? Cruise lines probably take some care in hiring for children's program as the liability could be quite great, even if they hire anyone for the rest of the crew.

RCI currently can only be a 5 day cruise for us given the price difference between them and Carnival. However that may not be a bad thing as 5 days might be less stressful than 7 with toddlers.

And Disney is probably the best for any age kids but...at those prices they better be.

Legion - ok I'll bite. What extra money for NCL?

I'll lay it out on the line. I had RCI Enchantment booked for my family of 4 for November (the cheapest cruise I could find at the time). We had an AFT balcony.

NCL came out with KIDS SAIL FREE.

The price of NCL Gem (aft balcony) was less than half of the RCI Enchantment OR Carnival Pride.

NCL Gem has more kids friendly things to do than RCI Enchantment (yes, I just got off Enchantment last month so I know what's on it). And we've done Carnival three times.

So, if we go to the main dining room. And we don't do the specialty dining (like we did on RCI, we went to Chops - now at $30 pp).

Why would NCL be more money than RCI or Carnival?

I am already starting with a base cost of less than half. Even if we decided to eat in their paid for restaurants every night - we would still be ahead. :)

Well not saying that everycruise is cheaper on CCL over NCL but in general I have found that NCL's starting rates, particually on W Carribean, tends to be higher than Carnival. Kids free would perhaps change the equasion. Also most of the Carnival rates have lowered for us out of Tampa as opposed to NCL which did not do so. I know this is hit and miss. This December a HAL cruise was cheaper than the same NCL or Carnival. But HAL won't do 2 YO's so that was out.

Ultimately NCL and Carnival were the only two that allowed 2YO's in their children's programs and after researching it I have found far more positive reviews of camp Carnival over the NCL programs. I am not saying that NCL had bad reviews, (both did) just far less of them overall. It seems like way more people have used the kids programs on CCL over NCL.

I wonder what the OP means when they say "family-friendly" is NCL not family-friendly?

In our decision of which December cruise to take with a 2YO, the cost of carnival was less than NCL, ports of call were about the same, Camp Carnival had plenty of good reviews, and the diaper changing rules seemed to seal the deal.

Not that I can't go and change my childs diaper or that they would be stuck in CC or any kids place all day, but it seems that Carnival would be more convienent overall for eveyone.

Hopefully potty training will kick in before next year and then more cruise lines.

Oooh that makes more sense, you are in Florida. Carnival has some sick cheap rates in Florida. I wish we had some of those rates up here in the North East :D

I won't go into my feelings on Carnival (again). My reviews got shut down on the Carnival board so I have been pretty outspoken (never have been a shy one :p;))

So let's just say that for me and my family...we won't be doing Carnival again. It did have to do with their camp. I can put up with anything as long as my children are happy. But I am like rolloman (on that other thread) -- I expect my children to be blown away by their experience on the ships.

I am hoping that my kids have a phenomenal experience on NCL. Because if they don't -- you all will be the first to know. :D

OK here are some examples of what I can currently book.

Early Dec 2012 (I know its a ways off but...) for 4 travlers, 2 kids 6 and 3 all midship cabins.

Legend OV = $1721.72 7 days

Paradise OV = $1162.60 5 days

Jewell of the Sea OV = $1568.12 5 days

Norwegian Dawn OV = $1961.12 7 days (A porthole drops it a bit but not below $1900)

(the cheapest inside on the Dawn is $1721.12)

(An inside French doors on Legend is $1621.72)

Unfortunately the Ryndam does not do its 7 day trips during this early December in 2012 :mad:

Checking Celebrity, you can do five days on Constellation on Dec. 15 OV $1534. (Miami).

Yes but i have to add the drive time + the added cost of parking in Miami.

Thus I was showing Tampa cruises which are far closer.

What would be the best deal?

Nevermind - I put some for you for 2011 - and you have 2012 ;)

No 2011 we have all set with the cruise. I was looking for next year and at this point NCL is a bit to high compared to others.

But when searching NCL vs CCL for this December, at the time, CCL was cheaper.

Given the dec 2012 prices above, if they don't change, it will be very difficult to justify NCL. We shall see. First is to have a great time for all this December on my 2YO's first cruise.

Yes but i have to add the drive time + the added cost of parking in Miami.

Thus I was showing Tampa cruises which are far closer.

What would be the best deal?

So go on Carnival.. why act like you are open to ideas when clearly you are not. The Carnival ships that do the short cruises in Florida are the biggest junk out there. Since you seem land locked to Tampa your choices are extremely limited. IMO for anyone who may be open minded, Celebrity Millennium is sailing the short cruises starting in October and I highly recommend that ship, but for a two year old you will have to get in cabin babysitting.

TO the OP- just not a fan of Carnival but for your child age 3 try EPIC or Allure for a fantastic time with unlimited activities or if on a budget try the Celebrity ship I mentioned above.

I would recommend Carnival, NCL or Royal Caribbean. Disney is nice but very overwhelming. My 4 yr old hated the kids club there and rarely went. They no longer separate the age groups so there are about 200 kids aged 3-12 all running around in the same room with different activities going on. They actually keep GPS bracelets on them to keep track of them. After the first time my DD refused to go back all week. Also watch if your 3 year-old may be afraid of characters. Disney is nice but I recommend it for older kids who are not so overwhelmed by things

Archived