Sapphire vs Megans Bay

mickey-mouse

Actually, we prefer Emerald Beach at the Best Western hotel by the airport. It's a beautiful beach and the ship tours don't go there.

The Best Westren charges $7 to rent the lounger for the day. There is also the usual water sports items for rent. The BW has a bar, food and clean restrooms.

It's a $7 each taxi from the taxi stand at Haven Sight and $3 each from Crowne Bay. We were just there last week.

I went to Megan's Bay last month. Personally, I thought the beach was beautiful, but not sure about "top 10 in the world". It was $16 a person round trip for a taxi ride to Megan's Bay, plus $4 a person for admission to the beach. Lounge chairs are $12, but they give you $5 back if you return the chair back to the shack. There was 3 other ships in port with us, so the beach was very crowded. Luckily we got there early & managed to get a nice spot.. But couldn't say the same for a lot of folks who arrived later in the day. I feel like Megan's Bay is one of those places people visit just to say they did, you know?

All are pretty beautiful beaches, calm water, all have bathrooms, water stuff rentals. Meghans Bay adds 4$ admission fee for adults....

Sapphire Beach has a reef to the right right by shore....felt it was the best of the three....16$ bucket of beer beach stand.

It seems short showers happened on each of our beach visits. Bring a zip lock bag for your camera...they pass quickly...

We did MB in 2009, Emerald 2010 (4$ taxi from Crown Bay- 6$ chair rental)

Last week (2011) it was Crown Bay to Sapphire- 11$ per person....then we went shopping in the afternoon before we went back to the ship.

bernadette

i love love love magens bay, it can be crowded in the middle where everyone is dropped off..obviously..but last time walked down towards the left and there was only a few people around us all day. Yes its 4$..so? Both times i have been there i have seen someone cleaning up, raking etc.., all day and the bathrooms are clean. SO how else would they pay them? I have never been to Sapphire beach so i cannot really give you a comparison but it makes me mad when people dis magens bay, sorry i see nothing wrong with this!!!

IMG_2170.JPG

all three are beautiful...

but from the ship it is more expensive to get to Meghans Bay...

than Sapphire

and adding an extra 24$ for my expenses....for nothing more special...

when Sapphire also has the reef....and no admission fee..

well- that was why I would go to Sapphire....

We went to MBB in 2009 cause a recent bride had raved about how gorgeous it was.....

BUT...next visit will get me over to St. John's..

We stuck to St. Thomas because my 3 adult kids and guest had never been to St. Thomas at all...

We used the extra taxi fare we saved not going to MBB to rent beach chairs for at Emerald 6$ each....in 2010.

bernadette

DSCN4647.jpg.985b84193a3d83aaf2d199c50eedcf3c.jpg

Bernedette,

Do you know if you can get a discount with the taxi's == we are a group of 12 heading to Sapphire from Crown Bay? $11 per person each way seems a bit expensive but I guess it is what it is. Thanks.

The rates are stated and they would not bargain. They will actually try to get as many people into their cabs as possible at the stated price pp.

In view of this, we did not feel the need to add tips at the end, and the driver did not seem offended. On the contrary, we initially tipped a couple of these shuttle-type cab drivers ~10% and they seemed very eager to come back for our return trip.

Just got back. IMHO dont bother with Megans beach, no creature comforts. Bathrooms yuck!! No chairs, No drinks, No snorkle. It is beautiful but boring. Coki beach was my families fav. loved the snorkling, rent a beach chair, chair side drink service, $1/min massages. Clear, clean water bring a raft to float and hang out when not snorkling. Across the street is para-sailing (a little pricey $89 pp) Cheaper on orient beach in St Marteen. Also taxi service plentiful when time to leave. It is only appx 20 mins from port.

I have only been to Sapphire and LOVED it. It was like a slice of heaven, not crowded, fish follow you around in the sandy part of the water and tons of coral and snorkeling right from the beach. Iguanas walking around the beach, natural shade under the grape trees.

Here's my full review with a link at the bottom of the page to my pictures I took (5 pages of them).

I had thought about going to Maggens, but everyone said it's where everyone on the cruise ship goes and it's 1) over rated 2) very crowded 3) cost to get in 4) no snorkeling. :(

Here's my review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=26210037&postcount=1

Archived