Skeptic becomes believer

fla742

As I have watched problems unfold via the Cruise Critic boards, I became very disenchanted with Azamara’s Corporate capability and could not believe that cruising with them could be as wonderful as so many people claimed.

I have just returned from two weeks on the Journey and I now believe.

I have always been critical of the surcharges in the “specialty” restaurants. Prime C offers nothing out of the ordinary, but Aqualina is worth the money. For someone who hates buffets, the service in Windows was excellent. Food in Discoveries was fine and I never had difficulty finding something to eat.

All of the staff went out of their way to please. The presence of Senior Staff all over the ship was fantastic. I particularly enjoyed see Captain Tysse and Eric De Gray at 8am wishing us a good day as we left the ship for a tour.

Our first week out the PA system went down between Gibraltar and Cadiz. Captain Tysse and the entire senior staff kept us fully informed about the problem and answered all of our questions honestly with the best information that they had at that moment. What one looks for is how a problem is handled and I could not have been more satisfied..

In fact, I have become such a believer that I have booked another cruise – this time on the Quest for next year. Hopefully Corporate will get their act together as well as the on board team.

As I have watched problems unfold via the Cruise Critic boards, I became very disenchanted with Azamara’s Corporate capability and could not believe that cruising with them could be as wonderful as so many people claimed.

I have just returned from two weeks on the Journey and I now believe.

I have always been critical of the surcharges in the “specialty” restaurants. Prime C offers nothing out of the ordinary, but Aqualina is worth the money. For someone who hates buffets, the service in Windows was excellent. Food in Discoveries was fine and I never had difficulty finding something to eat.

All of the staff went out of their way to please. The presence of Senior Staff all over the ship was fantastic. I particularly enjoyed see Captain Tysse and Eric De Gray at 8am wishing us a good day as we left the ship for a tour.

Our first week out the PA system went down between Gibraltar and Cadiz. Captain Tysse and the entire senior staff kept us fully informed about the problem and answered all of our questions honestly with the best information that they had at that moment. What one looks for is how a problem is handled and I could not have been more satisfied..

In fact, I have become such a believer that I have booked another cruise – this time on the Quest for next year. Hopefully Corporate will get their act together as well as the on board team.

Now do you understand... when many of your posts were so negative and you were practically ripping AZ to shreds before you even boarded the ship..

Many of us would defend the AZ onboard experience over and over and then finally I for one gave up and just started ignoring you.

You were so sure of yourself, you wouldnt "listen" to MANY experienced cruisers that had sailed on a mulititude of cruise lines over the years and more importantly Azamara.

It takes a big person to come back and admit they were wrong,

Perhaps in the future you can return to the board and contribute periodically in a positive manner.

especially since so many people took their time to convince you that YOUR cruise would be wonderful.

Delighted your on board experience was as positive and that you are planning a return. On board, the product really now pushes all the right buttons for many of us

Now do you understand... when many of your posts were so negative and you were practically ripping AZ to shreds before you even boarded the ship..

Many of us would defend the AZ onboard experience over and over and then finally I for one gave up and just started ignoring you.

You were so sure of yourself, you wouldnt "listen" to MANY experienced cruisers that had sailed on a mulititude of cruise lines over the years and more importantly Azamara.

It takes a big person to come back and admit they were wrong,

Perhaps in the future you can return to the board and contribute periodically in a positive manner.

especially since so many people took their time to convince you that YOUR cruise would be wonderful.

I haven't changed my mind about Corporate's problems.

Hi Fla742 !

Thanks very much for coming back to our Forum, and sharing your insights with us. I'm happy to hear you felt the onboard experience was as most of us have been reporting. Welcome Home !

I haven't changed my mind about Corporate's problems.[/QUOTHi Fla742 and Azamara Followers,

Great news! I really appreciate that you made the decision to share your glowing comments about your first Azamara cruise experience with the forum. Also, I was delighted to learn that you had the confidence in our onboard product to book a future Azamara Quest vacation for next year.

At the same time, I remember from your previous posts that you have made it very clear that you have no confidence in our corporate management team as a result of the shortfalls you may have experienced in our shoreside operation.

I wondered if you and maybe others had considered that the much praised onboard experience delivered and executed by our highly motivated and well-trained staff and executive shipboard management, was created by Larry Pimentel and his operational shoreside team? They designed the onboard product feature deliverables and everyday carefully monitor guest feedback and modify the process with shipboard management when needed.

I found it somewhat confusing that when you and others were so quick to throw this team under the bus that all of you had lost sight of the fact that since the relaunch last April of ‘Azamara Club Cruises’ new and reformulated product that the guest satisfaction scores have dramatically increased.

Larry Pimentel and his same Miami-based shoreside team will accomplish the same for our shoreside operation; however, doing so will take more time and require your continued patience as we encounter and solve challenges along the way. I’ve often stated in my replies “that we are committed to delivering a “seamless” experience when you do business with Azamara Club Cruises on land and sea” and I want to reassure you and others that this pledge is not an empty “corporate” platitude.

To achieve that end I’m sure that you will find immediate improvement in our overall written communications by it being more articulate with respect to terms and conditions; we established a dedicated Miami-based reservations team and we delivered on our commitment to deliver an improved website with more functionality.

Fla742 and all other Azamara followers - please do not misinterpret my comments to mean that you are no longer able to be forthright in posting your positive, negative and everything in between comments and suggestions. I believe that I can make a difference with executive management when you share your concerns objectively rather than emotionally.

Respectfully,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

E]

Bill..

with all do respect.. I would like to address your response.

Specifically your use of "and others" many times

please do not confuse the really negative comments that FLA742 made over the last couple of months

prior to ever setting foot on an Azamara ship

with any negative comments that people who have sailed onboard AZ have made about land based operations once they returned home and wanted to book or had booked another cruise with AZ

There's a difference.

Also I would like to point out,

that there are many of us that have made negative comments regarding shoreside experiences that have PREVIOUSLY sailed with AZ

HOWEVER, they still take time out of their busy days making positive comments on CruiseCritic and Facebook about Azamara and the onboard experience, encouraging others to book AZ

and assisting those who have booked in hopes they love AZ as much as we do.

This time is not compensated, they do it because they love the experience onboard.

Time is money. Money that I'm not earning for THEMSELF The time they spending praising AZ is actually contributing to earning money for YOU

Personally, I'm offended if I was to be considered as "and others" and lumped in the same category as the OP

I don't think one person on this board is surprised about the positive results in the onboard customer satisfaction surveys.

Larry has created a "good" problem for himself, but also put himself in a bit of predicament.

He has created a scenario that as AZ loyalists, we have the expectation that the onboard experience will translate seamlessly with land based interactions. When it doesn't.......

I haven't changed my mind about Corporate's problems.[/QUOTHi Fla742 and Azamara Followers,

Great news! I really appreciate that you made the decision to share your glowing comments about your first Azamara cruise experience with the forum. Also, I was delighted to learn that you had the confidence in our onboard product to book a future Azamara Quest vacation for next year.

At the same time, I remember from your previous posts that you have made it very clear that you have no confidence in our corporate management team as a result of the shortfalls you may have experienced in our shoreside operation.

I wondered if you and maybe others had considered that the much praised onboard experience delivered and executed by our highly motivated and well-trained staff and executive shipboard management, was created by Larry Pimentel and his operational shoreside team? They designed the onboard product feature deliverables and everyday carefully monitor guest feedback and modify the process with shipboard management when needed.

I found it somewhat confusing that when you and others were so quick to throw this team under the bus that all of you had lost sight of the fact that since the relaunch last April of ‘Azamara Club Cruises’ new and reformulated product that the guest satisfaction scores have dramatically increased.

Larry Pimentel and his same Miami-based shoreside team will accomplish the same for our shoreside operation; however, doing so will take more time and require your continued patience as we encounter and solve challenges along the way. I’ve often stated in my replies “that we are committed to delivering a “seamless” experience when you do business with Azamara Club Cruises on land and sea” and I want to reassure you and others that this pledge is not an empty “corporate” platitude.

To achieve that end I’m sure that you will find immediate improvement in our overall written communications by it being more articulate with respect to terms and conditions; we established a dedicated Miami-based reservations team and we delivered on our commitment to deliver an improved website with more functionality.

Fla742 and all other Azamara followers - please do not misinterpret my comments to mean that you are no longer able to be forthright in posting your positive, negative and everything in between comments and suggestions. I believe that I can make a difference with executive management when you share your concerns objectively rather than emotionally.

Respectfully,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

E]

Bill - I was a skeptic when I boarded the Quest last summer for the Athens to Istanbul run. I have high expectations for any company or cruise line that takes my money for an implied or promised experience. I can only tell you that the Officers and Staff of the Quest not only met my expectations but set the bar way above any cruise line I have ever sailed with. From my butler Ayup, the wait staff in the venues, to the ship officers who actually showed an interest in the passengers, I cannot say enough about Azamara (hell, their attitude caused me to go back to Celebrity for a winter cruise - though not as much fun as Azamara however). I will be on the Journey in a month and look forward to sailing with cruise professionals again.

Keep a stiff upper lip and soldier on!

Zouave

Respectfully,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

E]

Hi Bill,

As one of the most negative posters regarding some of the issues that are now being worked through, I never doubted that the on board experience would be (and will be) amazing. Of course Larry Pimentel deserves credit for creating the team that delights so many cruisers and that have developed loyal Cruise Critic members that defend Azamara vehemently anytime someone posts something negative.

I applaud you and your CEO for listening. Be as proactive in the approach to marketing practices land based service as you are on the sea and Azamara will be unbeatable.

The good news? Based on the lower number of unique posters on these small ships boards, I think that many of your passengers may not be bloggers so all of this negative stuff will have little impact now that there is improvement. The fact that you are employed indicates an awareness that we have the power to sell the brand for you--and we will!

Looking forward to boarding the Quest next week and delivering a 5+ star review upon return. I have no doubts that we will be delighted with this trip.

And thanks to Host Andy for his mad moderator skills :)

Respectfully,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

E]

Bill,

Thank you for all that you do. We appreciate the feedback that you offer. Since you asked for concerns, I would like to relate my experience today. We are booked for our 6th AZ cruise on February 15, 2012, Carnivale in Rio. Today we received an email with information on purchasing our Carnivale tickets. We have until August 10th to purchase. A link was provided. However, when you go to either the link or to My Azamara and try and book the shore excursion, you are told that excursions for this cruise will be available closer to sail date. So the email was sent out prior to the website being set up to allow for the purchase.

I think that the staff and crew on the ships are the absolute best (and I have been an ardent cheerleader of the line since the beginning). However, this is one more example of something being done in Miami that causes frustration on our end.

It is my hope that by bringing something like this to your attention, and ultimately management's, embarrassing situations like this will cease to happen.

This is now my 2nd attempt to explain why my post above is messed up and I can't edit it....

As I said before, please excuse all mistakes in my post to Bill. I tried the edit function and it didnt work.

and as I mentioned I'm still sick, the medicine I'm taking doesnt always allow for proper sentence structure.

This is now my 2nd attempt to explain why my post above is messed up and I can't edit it....

As I said before, please excuse all mistakes in my post to Bill. I tried the edit function and it didnt work.

and as I mentioned I'm still sick, the medicine I'm taking doesnt always allow for proper sentence structure.

Hello Karen,

I hope that you’re feeling much better and please don’t worry about your sentence structure.

I am very sorry for creating the misperception that I was “lumping” you into the “and others” category. I hope that you realize how much I value the very generous amount of time you’ve spent following Azamara on Cruise Critic and encouraging Azamara “considerers” to try us for the first-time. Most importantly, I appreciate your very constructive and objective feedback record about our policies, procedures and deployment that you’ve shared with us.

The purpose of my post was to let the “and others” category know that it’s more difficult for me to articulate their specific concerns to the executive team since their suggestions have been overshadowed by emotional rhetoric about the incompetence of the executive team. As the “news aggregator” for the executive team, I believe that I can do a better job as an ombudsman when concerns and suggestions are presented in an objective and specific manner.

Again, I’m sorry for this misunderstanding and appreciate your ongoing support of Azamara Club Cruises.

Feel better!

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Bill - I was a skeptic when I boarded the Quest last summer for the Athens to Istanbul run. I have high expectations for any company or cruise line that takes my money for an implied or promised experience. I can only tell you that the Officers and Staff of the Quest not only met my expectations but set the bar way above any cruise line I have ever sailed with. From my butler Ayup, the wait staff in the venues, to the ship officers who actually showed an interest in the passengers, I cannot say enough about Azamara (hell, their attitude caused me to go back to Celebrity for a winter cruise - though not as much fun as Azamara however). I will be on the Journey in a month and look forward to sailing with cruise professionals again.

Keep a stiff upper lip and soldier on!

Zouave

Hello Zouave –

Thank you for taking the time to share your very positive comments about your vacation on the Azamara Quest last summer.

My best wishes for a wonderful cruise vacation on the Azamara Journey next month and I hope that your experience exceeds your expectations.

Bon Voyage!

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Hi Bill,

As one of the most negative posters regarding some of the issues that are now being worked through, I never doubted that the on board experience would be (and will be) amazing. Of course Larry Pimentel deserves credit for creating the team that delights so many cruisers and that have developed loyal Cruise Critic members that defend Azamara vehemently anytime someone posts something negative.

I applaud you and your CEO for listening. Be as proactive in the approach to marketing practices land based service as you are on the sea and Azamara will be unbeatable.

The good news? Based on the lower number of unique posters on these small ships boards, I think that many of your passengers may not be bloggers so all of this negative stuff will have little impact now that there is improvement. The fact that you are employed indicates an awareness that we have the power to sell the brand for you--and we will!

Looking forward to boarding the Quest next week and delivering a 5+ star review upon return. I have no doubts that we will be delighted with this trip.

And thanks to Host Andy for his mad moderator skills :)

Hello Luvmytigs –

I very much appreciate your advice on how to become “unbeatable” and that you made the time to share your positive comments on the Forum. Also, I agree that Andy is an amazing moderator and is truly an asset to the Cruise Critic process.

My best wishes for a wonderful cruise vacation on the Azamara Quest next week and I hope that your experience exceeds your expectations!

Bon Voyage!

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Bill,

Thank you for all that you do. We appreciate the feedback that you offer. Since you asked for concerns, I would like to relate my experience today. We are booked for our 6th AZ cruise on February 15, 2012, Carnivale in Rio. Today we received an email with information on purchasing our Carnivale tickets. We have until August 10th to purchase. A link was provided. However, when you go to either the link or to My Azamara and try and book the shore excursion, you are told that excursions for this cruise will be available closer to sail date. So the email was sent out prior to the website being set up to allow for the purchase.

I think that the staff and crew on the ships are the absolute best (and I have been an ardent cheerleader of the line since the beginning). However, this is one more example of something being done in Miami that causes frustration on our end.

It is my hope that by bringing something like this to your attention, and ultimately management's, embarrassing situations like this will cease to happen.

Hello Crzrr –

Thank you very much for your very objective report about the inconsistency you experienced today in purchasing your Carnivale in Rio tickets for your forthcoming February 15, 2012 vacation. I will get back to you with an explanation.

In the meantime, thank you very much for your loyalty to Azamara as you approach your sixth cruise vacation!

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

The good news? Based on the lower number of unique posters on these small ships boards, I think that many of your passengers may not be bloggers so all of this negative stuff will have little impact now that there is improvement.
I noticed the same thing. The AZ forum on CC has very little traffic now compared to when I started playing here just a couple of years ago. It seems that many posters have disappeared and the discussion now seems to be maintained by just a few loyalists. How can that be good? I would love to see this AZ forum return to being a vibrant place to share experiences and to encourage all POVs. Just check the stats on posts and views - as they say, the silence is deafening!

Respectfully,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have cruised with Azamara since the line was first established. The service provided onboard ship THEN was as excellent as it is now. The changes introduced by Mr. Pimental e.g. wine with meals produced a touch of ambivalence to us as we are very light drinkers. We continued travelling with ACC purely because of the unsurpassed service provided once we boarded the ship and we have no intention of stopping now.

Bill, You referred to the contribution made by Miami H.Q. but can you please identify the contribution that the U.K. operation at Addlestone has made? Trying to make contact with Addlestone is akin to talking to the man in the moon;going through something like six gateways then ending back at the first one only for the automated voice to tell you "if you booked through a travel agency, please contact them". Why? It's a query that the TA cannot answer without contacting ACC, then reporting back to you! If you have a general concern with on-shore service why should this site be the only place to express it?

"please do not misinterpret my comments to mean that you are no longer able to be forthright in posting "

I haven't! And thank you for listening

Respectfully,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have cruised with Azamara since the line was first established. The service provided onboard ship THEN was as excellent as it is now. The changes introduced by Mr. Pimental e.g. wine with meals produced a touch of ambivalence to us as we are very light drinkers. We continued travelling with ACC purely because of the unsurpassed service provided once we boarded the ship and we have no intention of stopping now.

Bill, You referred to the contribution made by Miami H.Q. but can you please identify the contribution that the U.K. operation at Addlestone has made? Trying to make contact with Addlestone is akin to talking to the man in the moon;going through something like six gateways then ending back at the first one only for the automated voice to tell you "if you booked through a travel agency, please contact them". Why? It's a query that the TA cannot answer without contacting ACC, then reporting back to you! If you have a general concern with on-shore service why should this site be the only place to express it?

"please do not misinterpret my comments to mean that you are no longer able to be forthright in posting "

I haven't! And thank you for listening

Hello Joecors –

I remember your earlier post about the difficulty you and your travel agent have experienced in trying to make contact with a live person in the U.K. operation. I will pass on your comments to the U.K. management team to let them know that this inability to make contact continues to be a major issue for you. Also, I’ll mention your request to establish a separate customer-service contact site, rather than resorting to Cruise Critic to make contact.

In the meantime, since the UK operates with “shared services” you or your travel agent can contact the UK Captains Club:

Captains Club

Celebrity Cruises

Loyalty Desk UK & Ireland

Email: captainsclub.uk@rccl.com

Tel: 0844 481 7505

I’m hopeful that this information will be beneficial.

Thank you for your continued loyalty to the Azamara vacation experience.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Hello Crzrr –

Thank you very much for your very objective report about the inconsistency you experienced today in purchasing your Carnivale in Rio tickets for your forthcoming February 15, 2012 vacation. I will get back to you with an explanation.

In the meantime, thank you very much for your loyalty to Azamara as you approach your sixth cruise vacation!

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Hello Crzrr –

The shore excursion team checked out the system and found that the Carnivale tickets were available for purchase. Perhaps the problem was caused by our website.

Hopefully, you’ll be able to complete your transaction. Please let me know.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Hello Crzrr –

The shore excursion team checked out the system and found that the Carnivale tickets were available for purchase. Perhaps the problem was caused by our website.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Thanks Bill. Just went on and it is up there. I had checked last night and it was not there. I would suggest to the Shore Excursion team that they get the website up and running correctly before sending out an email especially if there is a time limit on purchasing the excursion.

Sue

In the meantime, since the UK operates with “shared services” you or your travel agent can contact the UK Captains Club:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Congratulations!! It does work. Contacted Capt. Club with a query and receeived a swift response!!

Hello Crzrr –

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Hi Bill: I'm a little confused. It sounds like the above poster got an email from AZ about tickets for Carnival. We are booked on the same cruise but we haven't had anything by email from AZ at all. How do I make sure we get these emails. Things like tickets to Carnival are really important to us.

Thanks!

Archived