It's official: Radiance class ships WILL fit into Baltimore!

Let's get this rumor started!

I am SO onboard with this! (pun strongly intended!!!!)

Two hours from back door to cruiseport parking lot for me.

:):):):):):)

About 90 mins for me in good traffic. Would love to see a Radiance Class vessel in Baltimore. Sailed on Grandeur a few times and love sailing on Enchantment but another option would be great.

Norfolk would be nice too but I noticed that when RCI was sailing out of Norfolk the cruise fares were really high for the itinerary they were offering.

What the heck is all the white stuff? Did you sail past a volcano or something? And do skies really get that grey somewhere? :confused:

Wouldn't it be nice if we could ALL live in the Conch Republic with YOU?!??!?!? ;)

I would love to see a Radiance class ship in Baltimore. It's a 20-30 minute drive from home, depending on traffic. It would also be great to see a Western Caribbean route, instead of the Eastern ones and the Northeast and Canada routes they have been doing.

As long as we are starting rumors, how about TWO ships in Baltimore! Let's keep the Enchantment (love it) and bring us one more! :D

I am loving this idea. :D I am only about 45 min. away from the Port of Baltimore and I enjoy the convenience of sailing out of Baltimore. I have already sailed on the Enchantment (loved it also). i will probably sail on her again as long as she stays in Baltimore. I would also enjoy the option of a Radiance class ship in Baltimore. Lets keep this going and maybe we will be heard, lol.

I've been fortunate, I sailed on Empress (in 2007, but since sold) and Grandeur (in 2009) out of Norfolk, I guess RCCL thinks they have more "reach" to the drive-ins from Baltimore.

Theron

The reason RCCL pulled out of Norfolk was due to being able to charge higher fares due to the Baltimore/DC area having a higher cost of living (people make more money there) than in Norfolk. RCCL was able to sell the ship out without having to lower prices closer to departure date as they did in Norfolk. I guess that off sets the costs for the 7 hours of fuel they burn to get to the ocean from Baltimore.

You guys are funny! Rumors are certainly entertaining... I just don't like to start them!

It is sad that Voyager or Freedom class won't fit into Baltimore... They'll just have to stop at the very nice new cruise terminal in Norfolk instead! :D

Norfolk is only about an extra 30 minutes drive for me (compared to Baltimore, and depending on traffic, of course). The plus side is that you start out about 7 hours "closer" to your first port, because you don't have to sail all the way down the Chesapeake Bay!

Theron

That would be great if RCCL did this. Norfolk bought into the "build it and they will come" speeches from the cruise lines that liked Norfolk but not the fact they used a makeshift cruise terminal based in a maritime museum. So, Norfolk built the $15 million cruise terminal the cruise lines wanted and they (HAL, RCCL, Celebrity) all left except Carnival and we only see the Glory twice a year. Norfolk is a much better port than Baltimore as far as access, no bridges to clear and a very deep harbor that can handle any size ship. If the Norfolk harbor can accomodate aircraft carriers I'm sure it can handle any ship that a cruiseline could consider to port there.

That would be great if RCCL did this. Norfolk bought into the "build it and they will come" speeches from the cruise lines that liked Norfolk but not the fact they used a makeshift cruise terminal based in a maritime museum. So, Norfolk built the $15 million cruise terminal the cruise lines wanted and they (HAL, RCCL, Celebrity) all left except Carnival and we only see the Glory twice a year. Norfolk is a much better port than Baltimore as far as access, no bridges to clear and a very deep harbor that can handle any size ship. If the Norfolk harbor can accomodate aircraft carriers I'm sure it can handle any ship that a cruiseline could consider to port there.

I haven't looked at a chart, but the cruise terminal is quite a ways "up river" from the Norfolk Navy base. Of course, they did bring the Wisconsin in, and Wikipedia says she drew almost 29 feet, but she's sitting in the water now (or at least in 2007) at only 14 feet. I'm sure they took a lot of stuff off before releasing her to the museum.

The biggest problem Norfolk has is that the parking is off-site. No extra cost (it may even be cheaper than Baltimore, I don't know the current prices) but the shuttle bus is inconvenient. It's extremely hard to beat the fact that you can be driving on I-95, then 8-12 minutes later be walking into the cruise terminal in Baltimore. And it's even harder to beat the fact that you can walk off the ship, collect your luggage, get the rubber stamp from customs and be in your car and back on I-95 on the way home in about 20 minutes!

Theron

I haven't looked at a chart, but the cruise terminal is quite a ways "up river" from the Norfolk Navy base. Of course, they did bring the Wisconsin in, and Wikipedia says she drew almost 29 feet, but she's sitting in the water now (or at least in 2007) at only 14 feet. I'm sure they took a lot of stuff off before releasing her to the museum.

The biggest problem Norfolk has is that the parking is off-site. No extra cost (it may even be cheaper than Baltimore, I don't know the current prices) but the shuttle bus is inconvenient. It's extremely hard to beat the fact that you can be driving on I-95, then 8-12 minutes later be walking into the cruise terminal in Baltimore. And it's even harder to beat the fact that you can walk off the ship, collect your luggage, get the rubber stamp from customs and be in your car and back on I-95 on the way home in about 20 minutes!

Theron

It is true that the cruise terminal is a few miles down river from the naval base. The depth of the river going into downtown is 50ft. and is currently being dredged to a depth of 55ft due to the Navy's next class of aircraft carrier being larger so that it can make it down river to the shipyard. So getting a cruise ship in is no problem.

You are correct about the parking situation though. There is still a remote lot for people to park and be shuttled to the ship. Thing's have improved a bit to park closer into the terminal in downtown Norfolk city garages. I believe (stressing the word believe)the garages now have a special rate for people cruising that is in line with what most ports charge to park in their lots. There are at least two garages right across from the terminal now.

It is true that the cruise terminal is a few miles down river from the naval base. The depth of the river going into downtown is 50ft. and is currently being dredged to a depth of 55ft due to the Navy's next class of aircraft carrier being larger so that it can make it down river to the shipyard. So getting a cruise ship in is no problem.

You are correct about the parking situation though. There is still a remote lot for people to park and be shuttled to the ship. Thing's have improved a bit to park closer into the terminal in downtown Norfolk city garages. I believe (stressing the word believe)the garages now have a special rate for people cruising that is in line with what most ports charge to park in their lots. There are at least two garages right across from the terminal now.

Thanks for the update! There were garages there when I sailed, but I remember they were significantly more expensive than the cruise line parking arrangements.

Theron

I do find it ashamed that the larger ships can't get into Baltimore but personally I really enjoy the midsized ships. I hope that the cruise lines don't get away from midsized ships. I would like to see them refurbish the existing ships or build new ones as the existing ones get older ( bigger isn't always better ). Maybe make them longer like Disney did.

As far as the cruise terminal in Baltimore. It might not be a 15 million cruise terminal but it is nice, convienent, and efficient.

I also enjoy the trip down the chesapeake bay. It keeps you in calmer waters for the beginning of your cruise and gives you something to look at on you first few hours of your cruise. Remember your first day or two is always at sea. So, does it really matter where you leave from?

I would take any size ship in Galveston during the summer. They were pulled for the Asia routes a couple years ago. Oh well, we find a way...sailing on Allure Sunday! Flying to FL takes a little longer and a little more $$ than a 4 hour drive but I guess it is worth it!

As long as we are starting rumors, how about TWO ships in Baltimore! Let's keep the Enchantment (love it) and bring us one more! :D

Why not? Rumour was that Carnival was looking at moving to another terminal on the north side of Locust Point, so that would free up Sunday's at the current terminal for a second RCI ship.

Not to put down Norfolk, but we enjoy Baltimore. Even though it is a short drive for us, we always stay a day before.

Easy access driving along the I-95 corridor.

You've got the Inner harbor, fine hotels and restaurants, Little Italy, Fell's Point, water Taxi's, and the Orioles/Falcons.

Parking/luggage at the port is breeze, better than Bayonne (and no over-spray from the dry docks)

Baltimore deserves a good ship.

Not to put down Norfolk, but we enjoy Baltimore. Even though it is a short drive for us, we always stay a day before.

Easy access driving along the I-95 corridor.

You've got the Inner harbor, fine hotels and restaurants, Little Italy, Fell's Point, water Taxi's, and the Orioles/Falcons.

Parking/luggage at the port is breeze, better than Bayonne (and no over-spray from the dry docks)

Baltimore deserves a good ship.

I agree Baltimore is better than Bayonne hands down. Norfolk is easily accessible from Interstate 64. Norfolk has an active waterfront with fine hotels and restaurants although Baltimore has a slight edge in attractions. We have the Orioles AAA baseball team the Tides and Baltimore has Norfolk beat by having the NFL's Baltimore Ravens. Both ports are similar with Norfolk having no restrictions on the size ships that can cruise in and out. I think Norfolk can support having a ship based here even with ships based in Baltimore.

Why not? Rumour was that Carnival was looking at moving to another terminal on the north side of Locust Point, so that would free up Sunday's at the current terminal for a second RCI ship.

If the port of Baltimore can find a cruise line to buy into the northside locust point terminal, that would be great. The problem is that the dock is in really bad shape and needs a lot of work. So by the time you work out all of the politics and repairs. The new terminal wouldn't be done for probably a year or two after they work out the politics. I guess I could see carival acting on this deal considing that the people that leave out Baltimore spend more on the ship then anyother terminal.

Archived