Packing

o0fefe0o

So I've been reading lots of posts about people using Space Bags when packing for your cruise. But I'm wondering how you fit everything in your luggage when the cruise is over? I thought the Space Bag requires a vacuum cleaner to work? I'm a self-confessed over packer and I'm trying to come up with a way to hopefully just take a carry-on suitcase because I really hate to pay the checked baggage fee to the airlines. Thanks for your help!

I'm using the space bags & we are taking a little battery pump (that blows up air mattress's ) as it also inflates a mattress .it works wev'e tried it ...there are those bage that you squeeze out the air yourslf by rolling it up you can get

I've used compression bags in the past. They work great with bulky items, like sweaters.

But most of my cruises have been to warm weather destinations and the clothing I've packed had little compression potential. So I generally haven't used the bags when cruising.

The cruiselines request that bags weigh no more than 50lbs. But you wont be penalized if it's over.

this is for the airlines: My aunt was going to be charged an extra $250 when they weighed her bag (over by 10 lbs). So she took some things out and threw them in her husband's bag and her purse.

I think it might depend on who you get at the counter. :D

So I've been reading lots of posts about people using Space Bags when packing for your cruise. But I'm wondering how you fit everything in your luggage when the cruise is over? I thought the Space Bag requires a vacuum cleaner to work? I'm a self-confessed over packer and I'm trying to come up with a way to hopefully just take a carry-on suitcase because I really hate to pay the checked baggage fee to the airlines. Thanks for your help!

I would think just old fashioned packing would be much simpler.

We use the space bags all of the time and sit on them to get the air out. We've also tried the 2.5 galleon ziplock bags but the air seems to leak back in. You do have to be careful of your luggage weight because you can pack more this way. I like the bags too because they protect your clothes in case some thing in your luggage leaks. Also keeps TSA from pawing through your clothes if they open your luggage.

I am bringing a couple of items that I don't intent to bring home. I have a pair of khakis that look fine but I have two other pair I like better. So I am taking the least favorite pair and will leave them somewhere. ( going to AK) When going to the Dominican Republic we brought backpacks to use for the week and then left them with the house keeper who was delighted to have them.

We use compression bags, the ones you roll to press out the air. We also carry a portable weigh scale, to make sure we stay under the airline limits, both have served us very well. We take some bulky items that can't be compressed (i.e. DH's dress shoes, our snorkeling gear, etc) so compressing the clothes frees up necessary room.

Sorry, I'm not big on the whole bring clothes and then throw them out. It seems rather wasteful to me.

I have used both zip lock bags and the roll out type. Although I would agree that there is a danger of going overweight there is also the advantage of being able to use a smaller case, even down to carry-on size only for informal cruises, though I have never quite made that estimable objective!

Boy, we have a hard enough time keeping under the airlines 50lb weight limit without any space saver bags to squeeze even more in.

How do you guys using the bags fill your cases an still keep und the limit?

Archived