MDR for breakfast and lunch

MickeyNicki

I am taking my second cruise, but first was a long time ago and don't remember much. I didn't even know the MDR was open for lunch and dinner until reading these boards. Question is what does the MDR serve for breakfast and lunch? Is there a menu? Can you go during breakfast or lunch hours without a reservation and be seated? Is it better than the buffet? We will be on the Elation. Thanks for all the information I have been getting on these boards!

MDR is closed for lunch on port days. Only open on sea days. Yes, just show up during the hours its open.

I dont know about better, but its faster because I want my fried eggs, and up in the buffet the line is always long to get eggs cooked.

You can get eggs benedict too in the MDR for breakfast.

No reservations needed for breakfast or lunch. I think that the quality of the breakfast food is somewhat better (especially with made to order eggs). I alway eat breakfast in the MDR on debarkation day. A lot less hectic than the Lido buffet.

Breakfast is served everyday in the MDR and only lunch on sea days.

The breakfast menu is the same everyday. Pancakes, waffles, eggs, bacon, sausage, lox, oatmeal, grits, baked apple, etc. Also orange, pineapple, tomato & apple juices. There might be other juices.

Sometimes the Eggs Benedict arrives very dry and the yolks are hard. If the sauce is ordered on the side it is moist.

IIRC the lunch menu does change everyday. We like the steak salad.

The hostesses sit you as you come in and fillup the tables.

Here are breakfast and lunch menus. They say 2010. I don't know if they have been changed.

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/CarnivalSpirit/Hawaii/Menus/Menus_B_L.htm

The breakfast menu is the same daily and the lunch menu changes. Breakfast in the dinning room is very good. I thought it was a little fresher than the lido. I ate at both though and both dining room and lido were good. Lunch in the Diningroom and the Lido are good. You can check the menu on your TV and see if there is anything you want to eat. If something looks good in the dining room you can go there if not the Lido. If you don't like the lunch in the dining room you can always stop eating it and go to the Lido.

You can go to a Luby's anytime at home...Why not have wait service, enjoy meeting new folks, not have to carry any food, get that second cup of coffee, relax, not have to search for a table......

I agree and disagree. On one of our cruises with a cruising-newbie friend, he felt the same way as you. We ate all of our meals in the MDR (to make him happy). While it was nice, we had to get dressed (change out of our swimsuits), take the extra time that the MDR usually requires, and also miss out on the Lido deck action. It just depends on each persons style. :)

We have eaten lunch in the MDR on sea days and the menu is different each time. We have eaten the Spaghetti Teresa with meatballs and it was delicious. The other day we had the fish and chips which were also very good. I always try to eat lunch in the MDR on sea days. I usually eat room service on those days so I have room to each lunch, otherwise I would be too full.

You can go to a Luby's anytime at home...Why not have wait service, enjoy meeting new folks, not have to carry any food, get that second cup of coffee, relax, not have to search for a table......

Totally agree with you, although non-Texans might not get the Luby's reference ;). --Katie

We much prefer dining in the MDR for breakfast & lunch. No lines. No carrying your own food or drinks. I enjoy being waited on. I may be wrong, but I think the food is better in the MDR. I also enjoy meeting new people at each meal. Of course I'm also not a fan of buffets to begin with. If you want a picture of gluttony, go to the buffet. People load up like it's closing in 5 minutes & they won't get more food.

We definitely prefer MDR for breakfast and lunch. Much more relaxed. You can also request a table for 2 (or however large your party is), if you prefer to eat without sharing the table with others.

I second the MDR breakfast as the BEST option for the last morning. For one, you have silverware without having to search the whole buffet area for a clean set, and you get to have a last morning of relaxation without tripping over people's lugguage.

Don't miss the black forest cake in the MDR - one of the sea days for lunch. It is the best dessert in my opinion :D

I think the breakfast in the MDR is much better than the buffet IMO. I love the French Toast, oatmeal, and eggs benedict. Plus it's nice having a sit down breakfast and not herding through all the lines! I never seem to make it there for lunch though lol, maybe one day I will :)

We definitely prefer the MDR rather than the Lido deck. We like being waited on & meeting other people, too. We aren't much on going to the pool so we don't have to change out of our suits (but I can understand why for those who do it is alot easier to just grab something on the Lido deck). One of the things I do like at the Lido deck is the fresh fruit (I also used to love the onion rings, which they don't have anymore). So sometimes we go up there later a little later in the morning & get a muffin or fresh fruit. We head out to the adult pool table & hang out for a little while.

We get up early and have a cup of coffee, watch the sun rise, enjoy the quiet of the Lido deck, and then head to breakfast in the MDR.

If you like eggs Benedict and want them fresh, ask for the Hollandaise sauce on the side.

I love the service, I like meeting new people at lunch, but breakfast I enjoy with just my hubby, and if you ask to sit alone, they will do so.

The lunch menu has been changed, since they only really serve lunch on sea days, I read recently that the menu is the MDR is the same on both sea days. But again, I love the service, hate buffets. I always put too much on my plate, it's easier for me to think a meal through, not throw a meal together.:o

I wish the MDR was open on the embarkation day, it would break up the huge lunch crowd on day one.

After lurking for several months on this site, I decided it's time to make a post. My wife and I are making our 1st cruise in Feb. 2012 out of New Orleans. We both have learned a whole hell of a lot from reading all the post on this web site.

This thread convinced me that I needed to start talking. "Eggs Benedict". Every Sunday morning we have Eggs Benedict for breakfast. Just today I told her that we would miss two straight Sundays without our Eggs Benedict. I wondered if we could get them on our cruise.

Well, you people have made post that assures me that I can get them on Monday morning after we leave New Orleans.

I hope this ain't a stupid post, if so, I'll quit.

If you like eggs Benedict and want them fresh, ask for the Hollandaise sauce on the side.

That is a GREAT idea! I'm doing that next time. Thanks for always coming up with helpful tips! :D

This thread convinced me that I needed to start talking. "Eggs Benedict". Every Sunday morning we have Eggs Benedict for breakfast. Just today I told her that we would miss two straight Sundays without our Eggs Benedict. I wondered if we could get them on our cruise.

Well, you people have made post that assures me that I can get them on Monday morning after we leave New Orleans.

Make sure to get the Hollandaise Sauce on the side. The eggs are cooked ahead of time in a group then the sauce is put on & reheated. The eggs get rubbery and the sauce congeals.

eggs1a.jpgeggs2a.jpg

Archived