has CCL fallen that far?

I have reviews of pax that have come back and say the food has gone downhill in the last couple of years.

I was also reading on the NCL board how most prefer the food on NCL to CCL.

I havent been on NCL for a long time because the food was very bad and have always been afraid to repeat that and I have always been happy with CCL's food but it's been almost a year since we were on CCL.

I also understand that some on each board are cheerleaders and they could be fed dog food and say it's good rather than disparage their favorite line.

Just wondering your thoughts and again this is the CCL board so I'll take that into consideration also.;)

Bill

Gosh I have heard that too and I am going on the Freedom 8/7 to find out for myself. I always thought the food on CCL was superior compared to RC or NCL. So I will have to judge for myself and report back.

the food on our Carnival Cruise in Dec was much better than the food on NCL..although we liked 1 of the Premium Restaurants and the other one wasnt really that good...and not worth the money...Dh and I felt as if they were doing us a favor by serving us in the MDR and well after our experience on NCL we said we would never sail them again...we are going on our 3rd Carnival Cruise in Nov...

Just got off the Valor last week, and cruised NCL before.

Overall, the food on the Valor was better, except breakfast...NCL had way more food to choose from and it was just better lol. Dinner was very good and lunch was different every day!

That being said, NCL's surcharge restaurants are very good, but we were very pleased with Carnival's food :)

I didn't find that the food itself was bad...

but ..

Carnival did go to the "large plate">> No more trays

Also...as I have clearly stated here...the food on the buffet was repeated a lot...they used to have the different taste of nations on one side and "american" on the other...now it is american 2x,italian 2x, caribbean 2x, and french 1x....on ALL FOUR sides of the buffet...same on all...<sigh>

It looks like they have added more "comfort" food to the main dining room menus...but again it is a choice....they do seem to be doing some cutbacks bit by bit, less servers and more rushed , depends on the ship I guess

Still I think the food on Carnival is good...some of it is pretty great :) I also enjoyed NCL's food but I have only been on the Sky and didn't eat in the specialty/pay restaurants. I did enjoy the outdoor grills on Sky and the lack of lines. They seemed to have a lot more people directing you to find shorter/no line...and also NCL REALLY ENFORCES THE HAND SANITIZERS...WHICH I THOUGHT WAS GREAT

CCl has turned into the government....The more you give them the less you get...

CCL is turning into the biggest yuck for your buck....

Ever since new management arrived it has gone IMHO to he!! in a handbasket....

Sad but there are many different lines out there I cruise and they will be getting more of my cruise $$$$$$$$ than the new Carn-evil....

Oh yes...Did I mention I can have meatloaf or fried chicken now for dinner in the MDR on Carnival.....This is sad....What's next beef stew ??????

I've never cruised another line so I can't compare, but I will say this. With a few exceptions, the food on Carnival has always been at least decent and usually very good. From the buffet to room service to MDR to steakhouse, I have never been dissatisfied with the food choices or quality on Carnival.

I've never cruised another line so I can't compare, but I will say this. With a few exceptions, the food on Carnival has always been at least decent and usually very good. From the buffet to room service to MDR to steakhouse, I have never been dissatisfied with the food choices or quality on Carnival.

Don't take this wrong...If you eat at the same place all the time it is hard to determine good or bad...

You live in the same area where you now can cruise on 4 different cruise lines 30 minutes from home.....Try them you"ll like them....;):cool:

Don't take this wrong...If you eat at the same place all the time it is hard to determine good or bad...

You live in the same area where you now can cruise on 4 different cruise lines 30 minutes from home.....Try them you"ll like them....;):cool:

I plan on straying, and soon. Carnival has disappointed me in more ways than one in recent years. But the food's always been good, I must admit. And I'm a foodie. If I'm not cooking, or eating, I'm thinking about it or talking about it or watching someone do it on TV. I must've been a chef in another lifetime. And I've never had a bad meal on a Carnival ship. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Do a HAL cruise out of here and you will notice a difference...

Doing NCL Dawn with a bunch of people next 11-11-12 out of here...I live for specialty restaurants....Join us....

I used to love it when Celebrity cruised out of here....I have one word...

Yuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........................

Unfortunately over the past few years to me Carnival's food has slipped....

Do a HAL cruise out of here and you will notice a difference...

Doing NCL Dawn with a bunch of people next 11-11-12 out of here...I live for specialty restaurants....Join us....

I used to love it when Celebrity cruised out of here....I have one word...

Yuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........................

Unfortunately over the past few years to me Carnival's food has slipped....

OK. What's your favorite? Which ship should I cruise on assuming I wanna sail from our home port? Keep in mind I'm 40 and don't want to be the youngest person on the ship. We like night life and good food. I don't mind paying a little more, but I want it to be worth it.

OK. What's your favorite? Which ship should I cruise on assuming I wanna sail from our home port? Keep in mind I'm 40 and don't want to be the youngest person on the ship. We like night life and good food. I don't mind paying a little more, but I want it to be worth it.

Then RCCL or NCL...RCCL mught be a little more but we got an upgraded balcony on NCL Dawn for $1300 total...I figure that the specialty restaurants will cost us about $160 for the week for two....

A few years back did my first HAL cruise out of Tampa and yes the crowd was to say the least older...Funny part is all HAL cruises I have done have been great...Some of those old fogies know how to party and on all the cruises I have done with them have always hooked up with the crew....

I was 43 on the first cruise....

Like I said there are a bunch of people going to do the NCL next year that have been Carnival cruisers.....

Then RCCL or NCL...RCCL mught be a little more but we got an upgraded balcony on NCL Dawn for $1300 total...I figure that the specialty restaurants will cost us about $160 for the week for two....

A few years back did my first HAL cruise out of Tampa and yes the crowd was to say the least older...Funny part is all HAL cruises I have done have been great...Some of those old fogies know how to party and on all the cruises I have done with them have always hooked up with the crew....

I was 43 on the first cruise....

Like I said there are a bunch of people going to do the NCL next year that have been Carnival cruisers.....

Not a bad price, either. Comparable. We may be joining you..

I took a 14 day cruise on Celebrity, fully expecting the food to be superior after all I had read and heard. But I didn't find that to be the case, in most instances. I did love the aqua spa, but as for the MDR the food was not better than Carnival. Service was excellent, but aside from menus that made it sound divine, the food was not great. A few items, like the crab louie were simply hideous & looked like pureed crab, salty & must have been from a can. It looked like a scoop of dogfood sitting on a lettuce leaf.

The buffet was very very good on the cruise I took on HAL, far superior to carnival. But not the food in the MDR imho. The desserts were lacking, they made Carnival's seem like gourmet offerings.

The other cruise lines I tried had areas that outshone carnival, definitely, but I didn't find MDR food to be one them.

I have never really had any issues with the food on Carnival

Neither have I. I never have a problem finding something well-prepared and good to eat.

Carnival did go to the "large plate">> No more trays

I hate the thought of trying to juggle my plate, silverware packet and drink!

Oh yes...Did I mention I can have meatloaf or fried chicken now for dinner in the MDR on Carnival.....This is sad....What's next beef stew ??????

I am looking forward to fried chicken - adding to my "must have" list alongside the ribs the first night!:p But really - I don't mind that on the menu. There are nights I am "bored" with the choices, and fried chicken (for me) is a great alternative!:)

Lots of MDR menus and food pictures from a recent Carnival cruise:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/CarnivalMagic/MENUS/index.htm

Quality and variety was excellent. No need to pay extra to obtain edible food such as one needs to do on NCL. Also no need to make reservations or to be told, sorry, sold out this evening.

Ditto what Sarge said here!! I dunno, I think it's gotten better not worse:cool: And it's still miles ahead of any other lines' experience imo:D

Archived