First time with a 2 year old

doodlesinkentucky

Any and all suggestions (besides don't go!) would be welcome. It is our first time taking a baby. She will be 23 months. We are going on the NCL star next March. It will be my son and wife and baby and us(grandparents). They have a ocean view room and we are in a pent house.

Thanks!

Any and all suggestions (besides don't go!) would be welcome. It is our first time taking a baby. She will be 23 months. We are going on the NCL star next March. It will be my son and wife and baby and us(grandparents). They have a ocean view room and we are in a pent house.

Thanks!

IMO Best line to cruise with a child age 2. You will have a great time. Sign her up for kids club as soon as you board. Take a light weight stroller. If she is not potty trained you might want to take a blow up pool for your balcony or to set by the pool area. The penthouse has a tub so you are set there. With that cabin and that ship I do not see any issues. Have Fun!!

The staff and crew LOVE young kids. So many of them leave their familes behind at home, and seeing young kids makes them a little happier during the day. We found an area where we would hang out a bit, around a bar, and so the bartender and wait staff got to know us well quickly, and my kids. When we ordered drinks, etc., they would bring little bowls of cherries for the kids. Also, the head waiter in the dining room would come pick up my 6 month old if she was getting squirmy, and walk around the dining room with her and show her off. It was a lot of fun.

I think my suggestion in all of this is get to know the staff and crew, they will help you out...a lot!

The staff and crew LOVE young kids. So many of them leave their familes behind at home, and seeing young kids makes them a little happier during the day. We found an area where we would hang out a bit, around a bar, and so the bartender and wait staff got to know us well quickly, and my kids. When we ordered drinks, etc., they would bring little bowls of cherries for the kids. Also, the head waiter in the dining room would come pick up my 6 month old if she was getting squirmy, and walk around the dining room with her and show her off. It was a lot of fun.

I think my suggestion in all of this is get to know the staff and crew, they will help you out...a lot!

1000% correct!!!!

At 2, she's not a "baby" anymore...you have a toddler!!! If you're happy, she'll be happy..no worries. The staff will dote on her!

Make sure you bring any of her "comfort" items (favorite toy or blanket), and a bit of patience. Let the normal schedule fly out the window...play it by ear. She'll adjust fabulously, and you will all have a great time!

IMO Best line to cruise with a child age 2. You will have a great time. Sign her up for kids club as soon as you board. Take a light weight stroller. If she is not potty trained you might want to take a blow up pool for your balcony or to set by the pool area. The penthouse has a tub so you are set there. With that cabin and that ship I do not see any issues. Have Fun!!

Unfortunately, at 23 months she will be 1 month too young for the official kids club. I believe they have the Under2Zoo, but that's not at all the same thing.

beachchick

Thanks to all the replies!! I appreciate any advice!!! Even the person that said switch rooms!!!!:)

We won't do that but we will let them use it quite a bit. I did not think about our tub! That will be good for bathing. She is only 14 months now so it is kind of hard to imagine what things will be like then!

I believe they have "under 2 time" called the "under 2 zoo" or something like that where you can go and play with her in the kids club. My kids love to "dance" to the lido deck band, explore the ship, splurge with ice cream. We bring plenty of toys, blow-up beach ball, bubbles etc. Go to an empty lounge during the day and let her run off some steam. You will have a great time together!

I believe they have "under 2 time" called the "under 2 zoo" or something like that where you can go and play with her in the kids club. My kids love to "dance" to the lido deck band, explore the ship, splurge with ice cream. We bring plenty of toys, blow-up beach ball, bubbles etc. Go to an empty lounge during the day and let her run off some steam. You will have a great time together!

Sounds good!

You all will have a fabulous time! I think kids are very flexible and go with the flow for the most part. My daughter will be 2 1/2 next month and it will be her 3rd cruise. (4th if you count when she was in my belly-haha). We're still too young for the tots program on the Serenade but that's ok. I couldn't imagine traveling without her. We tried to keep her on her "naptime" schedule as best we could. She would nap in her stroller or on the lounge chairs in the shade if we were on deck by the pool listening to the reggae band. Ahhhhh that actually sounds really good right about now.

I agree with cb at sea... Bring all her comfort items and she'll be just fine. :)

Tina

I forgot to mention the only thing that was a downside was that a lot of the shore excursions (snorkeling in particular) had a minimum age requirement which she didn't meet even though she has her own life jacket. So we just found private tours which some people prefer anyways. everything worked out as it usually does.

I did hear that they are strict about the under 2 for the kids program.

What is the under 2 zoo?

Someone did tell me that they do let you use the playroom when not in use with other children if you are with your child. Is that correct?

Yes, they are extremely strict with the age minumum of 2. They have to be. Otherwise, every parent with an "almost" age child would insist that "Well, you let that other 23 month old in, so you must let mine in..." As well, their liability insurance is affected by it.

I suggest you also invite them to your penthouse for meals if you decide to dine in. Your butler will be happy to serve all of you in the suite, but the suite perks such as going to Cagney's for breakfast and lunch (complimentary for suite passengers) are for suite passengers only (and anyone NCL designates a VIP). Suite passengers are not allowed to bring "guests" (although some people do ask or even insist), but you can order meals for all of you if you have them delivered to your suite. Your concierge will be able to make dining reservations for all of you and will no doubt provide VIP tender tickets (if applicable to your cruise) and VIP disembarkation tags so you can all be together. Other suite perks are not generally allowed to be "shared," regardless of whether it's for family or non-family.

I suggest you bring a small blow up pool for your balcony so that your granddaughter can play in the water. Unless she is fully potty trained, she will not be allowed in any ship pools, not even the kids pool and regardless of whether she's wearing a swim diaper. Ship pools are not able to handle water "issues" like large, heavily treated pools on land, so the CDC has very strict regulations regarding pool use.

Unless something has changed, the Under 2 Zoo is not held in the regular kids club facilities. It is a separate space/room with toys, etc. I don't know how often it is available. Children under 2 are not allowed in the kids club facilities at any time, regardless of whether a parent is with them. In fact, parents/adults are not allowed in the kids club facilities except the first night (orientation, registration) and for designated family activities.

beachchick

Yes, they are extremely strict with the age minumum of 2. They have to be. Otherwise, every parent with an "almost" age child would insist that "Well, you let that other 23 month old in, so you must let mine in..." As well, their liability insurance is affected by it.

I totally understand this!!! I did ask when I booked and they did explain that we could use a play area with her when available, so that is nice.

I suggest you also invite them to your penthouse for meals if you decide to dine in. Your butler will be happy to serve all of you in the suite, but the suite perks such as going to Cagney's for breakfast and lunch (complimentary for suite passengers) are for suite passengers only (and anyone NCL designates a VIP).

This does answer another question I had. Thanks! They also explained that I could not bring them to Cagneys- understand!! But, I was hoping that they could wait with us during embarkment and disembarkement since we are traveling together and also during any excursions since we are together.

I suggest you bring a small blow up pool for your balcony so that your granddaughter can play in the water. Unless she is fully potty trained, she will not be allowed in any ship pools, not even the kids pool and regardless of whether she's wearing a swim diaper. Ship pools are not able to handle water "issues" like large, heavily treated pools on land, so the CDC has very strict regulations regarding pool use.

I agree with this rule as well!! I am hoping she is potty trained but if not we will use the blow up pool.

Thanks all!! So appreciate any tips!!!:)

Archived