Old Folks And South America

nelenk

My DW and i are thinking about planning a longish cruise to South America. I walk with a cane, otherwise, we are mobile. Shore excursions on the Greek Isles were non existent for me, had to hire private taxis. We want to see a lot in SA. Have been looking at the Prinsendam, because it embarks and disenbarks in Ft Lauderdale. by old, I mean we are both in our 80's. Need some help with this decision. Any old folks out there?:p

I'm not quite that old (hope I'm still cruising if I ever get there, though), but do have some walking difficulties, not to mention a distinct lack of energy!

I've done the Rio-Valparaiso, including Antarctica, leg of this area twice.

This is a very long cruise, so it's important to pace yourself, and conserve energy. You don't have to get off the ship in every port, nor do full-day tours. At the very least, alternate full-day and half-day tours. Keep in mind that much of this cruise is in hot to very hot climates, and that saps strength, too.

But it's a wonderful cruise! And I have wanted to take it for several years now. Since you only have to get to/from Ft. Lauderdale, you eliminate all the stress of getting to/from South America. That's a big plus right there.

Good luck with your decision.

karen who is on this board alot, did this journey last year. suggest you read her blog. as for doing trips off the ship. some of the ports in brazil are hard to do by yourself. uraguay has cabs at the dockside. buenos

aires, you will have to board a bus as it is a large comerical port as well as valipariso, and the two ports in equador. falkland islands, and at least four others will require a tender. i would suggest you check under south american for the ports and arrange a guide, car, and driver for the two of you. tell them what you would like to do, let them help you plan what you are able to do and go for it. remeber you will going to areas that are very hot and humid, and some that are very cold south america is a lovely place and i hope that you will be able to enjoy it.

We did a 30 day repositioning cruise on RCCL's Mariner of the Seas from Florida to Valpariso in Jan. 2009 (the ship continued on to

Los Angeles for another 16 days). What a wonderful trip !!! We did

private tours in the islands, Rio, Buenos Aires, Ushuaia and Valpariso.

We also had a fantastic Roll Call group which made this trip a lot of

fun and very memorable. I think you can still access our Roll Call

under the "Floataway Lounge" - click on "Hornblowers - around the Horn, Jan. 2009". you will definately need a visa for Brazil which can be

a bit of a challenge --- use a Visa Service --- much less hassle. This trip is not as strenous as the Greek Islands - physically -- but private

tours are the way to go. IMO.

Do take Prinsendam - she goes to Antarctica - it's out of this world. We went on that cruise several years ago and loved it.

We just took her on the Ft. Lauderdale round trip to the Mediterranean. I walk with a cane too, and only needed help once - when I bit off more than I could chew at Ephesus. Thank goodness for Cruise Critic friends who help.:D

While we weren't on Holland when we did South America, we ate breakfast with the most delightful 97 year old gentleman. I noticed the longer the cruise, the older the clientele and only a handful of kids.

Archived