Chair Hogs and Alaskan Pools

MontyBaron

Hello everyone, I've had a great time reading detailed information as I plan for my first cruise. I've been looking for an answer to two things that have been on my mind and would appreciate any input.

Many of the cruise ships to Alaska have multiple pools but not all are covered. Is it possible to actually lie out and get some sun on such a cruise or are those pools designed for the Caribbean season?

If going to the Caribbean, i've read some comments about "chair hogs" leaving towels and such on chairs by the pool they will not use for hours and sometimes fights that erupt. Is this a real issue leaving no seats for others? Is there a cruise line that controls this better than others?

Now, I like to think I would not focus on the negative on my first cruise but I also know my personality and those that think they are an exception to rules really irks me.

Thank you so much everyone!

Hello everyone, I've had a great time reading detailed information as I plan for my first cruise. I've been looking for an answer to two things that have been on my mind and would appreciate any input.

Many of the cruise ships to Alaska have multiple pools but not all are covered. Is it possible to actually lie out and get some sun on such a cruise or are those pools designed for the Caribbean season?

If going to the Caribbean, i've read some comments about "chair hogs" leaving towels and such on chairs by the pool they will not use for hours and sometimes fights that erupt. Is this a real issue leaving no seats for others? Is there a cruise line that controls this better than others?

Now, I like to think I would not focus on the negative on my first cruise but I also know my personality and those that think they are an exception to rules really irks me.

For Alaska, sunbathing is not as popular as in warmer climates. But if you want to do that, it's perfectly fine. Your cruise to enjoy!

Chair hogs are on all ships - often-times putting towels out on chairs in early morning. Most lines quote a policy of removing items from chairs that haven't been occupied for a while. However, I've never :( seen that happen.

For Alaska' date=' sunbathing is not as popular as in warmer climates. But if you want to do that, it's perfectly fine. Your cruise to enjoy!

Chair hogs are on all ships - often-times putting towels out on chairs in early morning. Most lines quote a policy of removing items from chairs that haven't been occupied for a while. However, I've never :( seen that happen.[/quote']

Thank you much cruisin'tex! A minor thing to worry about, I know.

Depending on when you go to Alaska, it can be quite warm! I remember several "seasons" when it was warmer there than on the East Coast! You can definitely get sun in Alaska. But...folks don't cruise to Alaska to sun..they cruise for the scenary and the excursions.

There are PLENTY of lounge chairs on the pool deck and decks above. No worries about finding a place to sun!

Chair hogs are only a problem if you allow them to be. If you see someone leave anything on a pool lounge and disappear for more than 30 minutes, you have my permission to throw it overboard into the ocean. It works for me. :D

In my opinion 30 minutes is far too short. A person could easily get up from their chair, spend 30 minutes in the pool, stop to use the rest room, get in the hot tub for 15 minutes, get a drink from the pool bar, and return to their seat an hour after they left it while never leaving the pool area. I'd be beyond po'ed if I had been in the pool area all along and returned to find my stuff removed from my chair while I had my back to it for a few minutes so I could get a drink.

Of course if towels or a tattered paperback have been sitting unused on chairs since early in the morning and there's no one in the pool area, they should be removed after a bit. But if it's obvious someone has been using a chair (the towel is spread out, there is a book, sunscreen, etc.) removing those belongings after 30 minutes is as rude if not ruder than true pool hogs.

In my opinion 30 minutes is far too short. A person could easily get up from their chair, spend 30 minutes in the pool, stop to use the rest room, get in the hot tub for 15 minutes, get a drink from the pool bar, and return to their seat an hour after they left it while never leaving the pool area. I'd be beyond po'ed if I had been in the pool area all along and returned to find my stuff removed from my chair while I had my back to it for a few minutes so I could get a drink.

quote]

Although possible, I would find this scenario highly improbable. Most normal people would get out of the pool or hot tub and dry off before using the restroom or getting a drink at the bar, thus showing activity at the chairs. Being aware of the "chair hog" issue, we are always sure to let our presence be known.

ROFL, Alaskan is ONE place you will find lots of hairs without towels and paperback books and sandals there all day.

We had some sunny days, and warm too, never a problem. I would say many are in the scenics and are lining the deck more than the pool chairs.

Good luck and hope you get some sun!

Of course if towels or a tattered paperback have been sitting unused on chairs since early in the morning and there's no one in the pool area, they should be removed after a bit. But if it's obvious someone has been using a chair (the towel is spread out, there is a book, sunscreen, etc.) removing those belongings after 30 minutes is as rude if not ruder than true pool hogs.

I think you may be correct on 30 minutes beeing too little time. As a result, I am going to start giving chair hogs 31 minutes.

Most likely you won't have too much trouble finding an available deck chair on Alaskan cruises. Some ships will have covered pools (most of the Princess ships doing the Alaskan itinerary have a pool under a retractable roof -- so if the weather is iffy, you can still go for a swim).

If you can't find a free deck chair, see if you can track down a crew member who works on the deck, and ask if there's other chairs (maybe they didn't put them all out). If there isn't any more, check out the chairs that do have items on them. If people aren't in the pool (it'll be easier to ask those in the hot tubs if those are their chairs), and no one shows up in 20 minutes or so, it could be that someone just threw stuff on the chairs to "reserve" them for later. Which is not only not allowed on the ships, but also inconsiderate. You can ask a crew member to place the items someplace or place the items on a nearby table and then take the chair. If someone shows up, you can give them back the chair (act innocent), but if you've been there for 45 minutes or so, obviously they aren't entitle to the chair. Some people think they can go to the gym or a spa treatment while their book or towel is saving the chair -- nope. Even going for a full meal isn't considered a valid activity (grabbing a plate at the nearby grill to bring back is okay as that's just a few minutes).

A picture is said to be worth a 1,000 words...

:)

Dunno who they are, but they were enjoying a little Alaska sunshine on our May 2009 cruise on the Star Princess!

Cracking up because the guy still has his tennis shoes on!

Thanks for sharing the photo with us.

You will find all the chairs you want at any of the pools on an Alaska cruise, and yes, there are often folks swimming, or "sunning". Chair hogs are an issue on the Summer or Spring Break Caribbean cruises, where you have a much younger age group, and esp. on Carnival that has a lot of the college kids cruising out of Florida, Tx. and La. And yes, on those cruises, it can be "an issue." You can search for "Chair Hogs" and find some really novel ways that folks "fix the chair hogs little red wagons." Some folks do throw items overboard, others switch up their shoes, or move items to other locations. Yes, chair hogs do get on folk's nerves, but often, they find their match. gg

You will find all the chairs you want at any of the pools on an Alaska cruise, and yes, there are often folks swimming, or "sunning". Chair hogs are an issue on the Summer or Spring Break Caribbean cruises, where you have a much younger age group, and esp. on Carnival that has a lot of the college kids cruising out of Florida, Tx. and La. And yes, on those cruises, it can be "an issue." You can search for "Chair Hogs" and find some really novel ways that folks "fix the chair hogs little red wagons." Some folks do throw items overboard, others switch up their shoes, or move items to other locations. Yes, chair hogs do get on folk's nerves, but often, they find their match. gg

Gee, I've never heard about switching up shoes before. I will have to try it on our next cruise. Chair hogs, watch out.....

On my last AK cruise, I didn't see many people either in the inside pool or sunning. Even though the top was closed, it was cool inside at the pool. There were a few folks who used the hot tubs. Basically, it was cold and often rainy outside. Not too conducive to getting a tan.

John

We had beautiful weather during the beginning of my Alaskan cruise. I actually got a sunburn in Ketchikan. There were a lot of people at the outdoor pools when it was nice out. It got rainy toward the end of the cruise, and then people favored the covered pool.

My one and only Alaskan cruise was in early June. It was nice during the day - sunny and at least approaching warm! I don't remember any issue with chair hogs. Most folks in chairs were clothed and brought their blankets and books. It's an amazing, relaxing treat to be onboard a ship, gliding past such amazing scenery cuddled up with a good book! I remember the MOST fun (for me) couldn't-do-anywhere-else thing was being in the hot tub at about 11:00 p.m. with a bloody mary reading my book - light enough to read at 11:00 p.m.! Oh, and if you DO use the hot tub or pool? Don't forget to take your sweat pants or something warm to jump INTO when you get out! It might be nice, but not enough to be comfy and happy dripping wet on the deck of the ship! Just a little tip!

Archived