RSVP Med Cruise 2012

MDDCFlyer

I see people are asking about a cruise not being sold out. Let me give you the benefit of my experience. In 2009 I booked the Atlantis Baltic cruise as a major milestone birthday present to myself. I booked it early because it was for a special event and I didn't even think about the it not being sold out as my previous experience was that these things always sold out. Well it did not, and a few months later I noticed that the Atlantis was offering deals. While it would have been cheaper if I waited, they did offer me a major room upgrade which I happily took. They also gave me some money back. In the end the cruise left about 80% full (my estimate and could have been anywhere from 75-85% full). It certainly did not affect the cruise in any major way, BUT there were small things I noticed. I actually heard that HAL cut the staff on the ship and that WAS evident in the level of service (food only) compared to my previous cruise. However the shore excursions and everything else was top notch. The parties were also not as well attended, but that may have had more to do with the the mix of people on the ship. My BF and I still had an awesome time...and saved quiet a bit of money to boot

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I will try to answer some things I can comment on.

Second does it pay to get a Veranda (forget about the free airfare deal...obviously I would get it if its the same package cost as an inside cabin)?

Fro port intensive cruises we have not bothered with balconies (Hawaii and Alaska - also because Alaska is colder). On the Caribbean cruises we have always gotten balconies but there is usually two or three sea days on those cruise. Still, we don't use it all that much but it is a nice-to-have.

Third, should I wait and go on a different itinerary. This really isn't ideal, but of all the cruises this is the only one we can try and fit into our schedule. If you ask what my ideal cruise would be, it would be Israel, Egypt, Greece, and Turkey.

RSVP does not offer all that many cruises (less than Atlantis) so there may not be many options for you. Your ideal itinerary may not be one that appeals to enough other people to make it worthwhile for them.

I would have liked to do this cruise but I cannot get off work around that time, I think it is an exciting itinerary.

I should mention that I only will go on gay cruises. IMHO if you are a gay couple that is the ONLY way to cruise and feel "at home"

Yes, I know we have done only one non-RSVP cruise but I don't see why regular cruises would be a bad experience. Some say gay cruises are the worst thing to do for gay couples! ;)

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Yes, I know we have done only one non-RSVP cruise but I don't see why regular cruises would be a bad experience. Some say gay cruises are the worst thing to do for gay couples! ;)

It's not that a regular cruise is a bad experience, but you can't hold hands, can't show affection. In other words it's like being back home (unless you live in a gay enclave). I can see how some people say gay cruises are bad for couples. There is WAY too much temptation on them :D

It's not that a regular cruise is a bad experience, but you can't hold hands, can't show affection. In other words it's like being back home (unless you live in a gay enclave).

Yes, that I understand.

I can see how some people say gay cruises are bad for couples. There is WAY too much temptation on them :D

Yep! The singles were getting annoyed because so many couples showed up at the singles cocktail parties. On the last Caribbean cruise they had a couple cocktail party - I wonder how many singles crashed that one. LOL

I see people are asking about a cruise not being sold out. Let me give you the benefit of my experience. In 2009 I booked the Atlantis Baltic cruise as a major milestone birthday present to myself. I booked it early because it was for a special event and I didn't even think about the it not being sold out as my previous experience was that these things always sold out. Well it did not, and a few months later I noticed that the Atlantis was offering deals. While it would have been cheaper if I waited, they did offer me a major room upgrade which I happily took. They also gave me some money back. In the end the cruise left about 80% full (my estimate and could have been anywhere from 75-85% full). It certainly did not affect the cruise in any major way, BUT there were small things I noticed. I actually heard that HAL cut the staff on the ship and that WAS evident in the level of service (food only) compared to my previous cruise. However the shore excursions and everything else was top notch. The parties were also not as well attended, but that may have had more to do with the the mix of people on the ship. My BF and I still had an awesome time...and saved quiet a bit of money to boot

Depends on the size of the ship, but in general, while not good to Atlantis/RSVP I prefer about 80-90% occupancy. It gives some breathing room in the common areas, and staff has time to do a little extra as well.

Fully booked (which is never fully booked really, as there are room for staff, entertainers which do not stay the whole time, some rooms for "things happen"), can be just too crowded at times.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just booked this cruise for my partner and myself. I wasn't going to get a Veranda cabin, but with the airfare deal it was the same price as an inside cabin. I hope the weather is great! This will be my 3rd gay cruise and my partner's first. It's my first RSVP cruise as the other two were Atlantis (although both European). I'm psyched :D

Are the VF rooms with the steel balconies in the fore portion as bad as they look? Wondering if I should upgrade

It really depends on how you expect to use the deck. If you plan to sit outside and gaze out onto the sea, then yes you will be disappointed. If you just plan to stand out there then there is no need to change.

Of course if you want to have sex out there then you might want the steel balconies (especially in Morocco) :rolleyes:

Are the VF rooms with the steel balconies in the fore portion as bad as they look? Wondering if I should upgrade

We had a plexiglass railing balcony and our friends had the steel railing one next to us; I don't think the steel is that bad. The VF and VD balconies are deeper than most in similar categories.

Here are pictures that show the basic difference:

2995376880102790654S500x500Q85.jpg

2889069070102790654S500x500Q85.jpg

Thanks for the pic... Not nearly as bad as I thought from the exterior photos of the ship. I'll save the cash for booze. :)

Not a bad idea! :)

I took those pictures specifically because of all the questions about the steel railings here on Cruise Critic and having the opportunity to exeprience both at the same time :)

• 2 weeks later...

This is our first time aboard an RSVP or a gay cruise, so looking forward to it immensely. We intend to arrive a couple of days early in Barcelona and spend a few days after in Sitges, any suggestions/ideas in starting the cruise ‘spirit’ early or continuing it after?

This is our first time aboard an RSVP or a gay cruise, so looking forward to it immensely. We intend to arrive a couple of days early in Barcelona and spend a few days after in Sitges, any suggestions/ideas in starting the cruise ‘spirit’ early or continuing it after?

If you can I would do both. I have always taken a couple days before and after the cruise. I find it gets you ready for the cruise plus, eases you off. Realize also that you don't get to see Barcelona, unless you do it before or after the cruise and it is a wonderful city. I would personally spend a day or two before in Barcelona and then after on the beach. Usually I am "amped up" before so that is a great time to tour, and then afterwards I prefer to chill....

Unfortunately, this time, my partner's schedule means we have to fly in and go straight to the boat. You can't imagine how stressed I am about the flight being late and we miss the ship. :(

• 2 weeks later...

New to RSVP cruises. Is the entertainment similar to an Atlantis cruise: drag performers, cabaret singers, headliners etc.? Who have been some of the performers in the past?

2010 Atlantis X Solstice Caribbean

2011 Atlantis ROC Serenade of the Seas Caribbean

2012 Atlantis X Summit Caribbean

2012 RSVP HOA Neuw Amsterdam Mediterranean

New to RSVP cruises. Is the entertainment similar to an Atlantis cruise: drag performers, cabaret singers, headliners etc.? Who have been some of the performers in the past?

They are similar. Each brand has its favorites as for the cabaret singers. The big names tend to be smaller on RSVP compared to Atlantis.

Thanks MDDCFlyer. I'm listening to one of the past RSVP acts, Amy & Freddy right now on YouTube. They seem like a lot of fun.

2010 - Atlantis - X - Solstice - Caribbean

2011 - Atlantis - ROC - Serenade of the Seas - Caribbean

2012 - Atlantis - X - Summit - Caribbean

2012 - RSVP - HOA - Neuw Amsterdam - Mediterranean (Future)

2013 - Atlantis - X - Millennium - Asia (Future)

Any word yet on Parties, Entertainment or Excursions? I would have thought we'd hear about some party themes by now.

Way too soon. From past experience (and with the Atlantis influence) expect to see something 3-4 weeks prior to the cruise - which means around the end of the month.

Come on RSVP, prove me wrong.

Looks like the cruise is not selling very well at all.

Just got this from RSVP:

Save 50% on a Stateroom for Friends!

We have some space available on the cruise and wanted to create a special opportunity for each of you to reserve a second room for friends. The deal is simple: we’ll let each currently booked guest (as of May 7, 2012) purchase a second room for 50% off the normal rate for friends. You must pay for the room yourself, using a form of payment used for your current booking. How you work out payment from your friends is between you.

Please note that this is not a public discount or offer, and is a special benefit for currently booked guests only. Also, only currently available rooms category VC or higher are eligible for this offer. Other restrictions apply, see below for details.

This offer is only valid until Friday, May 25, 2012.

Hey Med cruisers!

My group of four is trying to organize a smaller (10-18 people) excursion to Seville on July 2. I've contacted Spain Day Tours... http://www.SpainDayTours.com and they can do a tour that includes transportaion from the port, English speaking guide for 3 hour walking tour in Seville, free time in Seville, etc for 79 Euro pp. Total time of tour would be 7-9 hours. Check out their website and contact them if you would like to be included. We need at least 10 people to guarantee the 79 Euro rate....otherwise can do a smaller group for a little more money. Time to start planning!!!! Pzetz

I checked out the website and my partner and I might be interested but we would want to know what our other options are. I see from Viator that some excursions offer a flamenco perfromance as well. I think that would be even better. When does the ship's excursion list come out? Also what about a tour of Valencia also?

Hey Med cruisers!

My group of four is trying to organize a smaller (10-18 people) excursion to Seville on July 2. I've contacted Spain Day Tours... http://www.SpainDayTours.com and they can do a tour that includes transportaion from the port, English speaking guide for 3 hour walking tour in Seville, free time in Seville, etc for 79 Euro pp. Total time of tour would be 7-9 hours. Check out their website and contact them if you would like to be included. We need at least 10 people to guarantee the 79 Euro rate....otherwise can do a smaller group for a little more money. Time to start planning!!!! Pzetz

Archived