Oceania Payments & Foreign Transaction Fees

harryw

I recently made a final payment for an Oceania cruise, and my credit card statement added on a substantial "foreign transaction fee."

I used a different credit card for my initial deposit, and incurred no fee. Should I question the charges?

Harry

Your should question your credit card bank. The charge comes from them - not from Oceania. There was another thread discussing this and that was the answer from others who had the same experience. If you do not get satisfaction from your CC bank, then deal with Oceania who will most likely give you an OBC to balance it out.

Bobi

I was the OP on that lengthy thread about six months back. Without hesitation, Oceania gave me an OBC in the amount of that transaction fee for the balance due on my cruise and for a smaller amount on my original deposit. Just call them and they will handle it. You will also get an email from them for your records.

Same with me. The foreign transaction fees for the deposit were refunded with a check from Oceania and the fees for the final payment were in an OBC. No questions asked. I did it all through email and it was all settled in less than a day each time.

Ditto for me. Oceania will give you back the foreign transaction fee (usually 3%) for their using an Irish bank. In one case I accepted onboard credit (cruise was coming up soon) and in other cases they either sent me a check or credited it back to my charge card.

Note this is true for Regent also -- Oceania and Regent are owned by the same company and they use the same bank in Ireland.

And they don't quibble one iota about refunding it!

True enough, there was. But as you can see from the posters here, it can easily be resolved.

Another option that some have used is to ask their TA to handle it for them.

Not all credit cards have this problem.

I used a different credit card for my initial deposit, and incurred no fee. Should I question the charges?

Harry

You may want to use that card for future Oceania cruises ;)

Archived