How do you look for price drops on group pricing

On a group rate your TA usually controls the pricing, per their contract with Princess. The Price drops may not apply to them and they are not required to pass any they get along.

Is there a trick on how to watch for price drops? When your TA is giving you group pricing. The Princess site shows the price' date=' but that is not a [u']group[/u] price.

On a group rate your TA usually controls the pricing, per their contract with Princess. The Price drops may not apply to them and they are not required to pass any they get along.

Ah...so that must be why when I called my TA about a price drop for our October Med cruise, I had to give up the $75 OBC and bottle of wine...I did get a reduction, but still...

I'm afraid if I want to ask for another adjustment, I may have to pay a change fee!

Yup. For a group rate in most cases (there are straight discount deals but those are rare) the group coordinator gets a certain price (usually decently less than posted) for each cabin class. In return they agree to sell X number of cabins, if they don't meet that their price can rise.

Their discount is then passed on to you in various ways.

The catch is that their rate is contracted and NOT subject to yield management, although there is usually a clause that if the average rack rate goes down below what they pay they get the lower rate. So if there is a $200 sale on AA cabins, the group lead does not get that $200 off their rate.

So in your case, its likely the price drop was completely or mostly taken out of the TA's profits (assuming it was a group rate and not a consolidator or straight discount)

Ah...so that must be why when I called my TA about a price drop for our October Med cruise, I had to give up the $75 OBC and bottle of wine...I did get a reduction, but still...

I'm afraid if I want to ask for another adjustment, I may have to pay a change fee!

So in your case, its likely the price drop was completely or mostly taken out of the TA's profits (assuming it was a group rate and not a consolidator or straight discount)

Or in order to get a lower rate as posted on Princess, the poster gave up the now higher priced group rate and the perks that came with it.

Correct, assuming no cancellation fees, not after final payment, etc.

Or in order to get a lower rate as posted on Princess, the poster gave up the now higher priced group rate and the perks that came with it.

Yup. For a group rate in most cases (there are straight discount deals but those are rare) the group coordinator gets a certain price (usually decently less than posted) for each cabin class. In return they agree to sell X number of cabins, if they don't meet that their price can rise.

Their discount is then passed on to you in various ways.

The catch is that their rate is contracted and NOT subject to yield management, although there is usually a clause that if the average rack rate goes down below what they pay they get the lower rate. So if there is a $200 sale on AA cabins, the group lead does not get that $200 off their rate.

So lets see if I get this, The only thing I can do is watch the Princess site and if I see a price drop in my class call my TA and mabe

As a TA this happens often. If the price drop is not a "flash" fare but new regular promotion like "Balcony Bonanza" then you do not lose the group amenities. It is condidered trading the group space and all amenities are included. If they did not do this then there would be no incentive to do groups as people would wait for fare drops and not reserve space in the group. I have rebooked at the new rates on group travel as many as 4 times before sailing with no one losing their group amenities.

As a TA this happens often. If the price drop is not a "flash" fare but new regular promotion like "Balcony Bonanza" then you do not lose the group amenities. It is condidered trading the group space and all amenities are included. If they did not do this then there would be no incentive to do groups as people would wait for fare drops and not reserve space in the group. I have rebooked at the new rates on group travel as many as 4 times before sailing with no one losing their group amenities.

Thanks for the tip

4realrod is 100% correct when it comes to Princess Groups.:)

As long as it is a lower rate ,for which you qualify, before Final Payment date , your booking within the group , can be adjusted. You will retain the group amenities.

After Final and if a FLASH rate , then no.

Not all cruise lines are this generous with group pricing adjustments.;)

One very important distinction.. The TA who booked the group rate is not REQUIRED to offer the discounted rate with amenities (of course a reputable TA will).

Legally speaking in this case, the cruiser has agreed on price with the booking agent and the booking agent has agreed on pricing with Princess. The two are not contractually connected in most cases. The exceptions are pass through bookings where the cruiser books direct with Princess under an affiliation and the discount is usually percentage based on final fare.

Example - I order a car from a new car dealer. He quotes me a price based on his cost. When he contracts the actual car, the price to him is $500 less. He has no obligation to lower my price by $500.

4realrod is 100% correct when it comes to Princess Groups.:)

As long as it is a lower rate ,for which you qualify, before Final Payment date , your booking within the group , can be adjusted. You will retain the group amenities.

After Final and if a FLASH rate , then no.

Not all cruise lines are this generous with group pricing adjustments.;)

Archived