Inside Passage Route??

ULCajunCruiser

I know that this varies trip to trip even, due to weather, traffic, etc. But in general, does anyone know the route the Radiance will take traveling from Vancouver to Seward?? I bought a couple of books, and they both included maps, but even though they show "routes" they seemed to be more about the cities and excursions than about landmarks and scenery.

What I'm looking for are specific landmarks that will allow me to track our progress along the way. Lighthouses, rock formations, moutains, etc?? Things I just shouldn't miss. Also, approximate times that I might expect to be at those things???

Does the ship have a display out there that shows GPS positioning??? Or can I buy a GPS that will allow me to track our progress???

Not to much to ask is it??? :D

Anyway, thanks to anyone out there who can help

There is an excellent map in the book, The Alaska Cruise Companion by Joe Upton, however I think you are looking for nautical charts which you could buy at a marine supply store. Yes, you can purchase a GPS with nautical charts...but you are looking at some pretty big dollars.

Thanks Putterdude, I have the Upton book (and the map), also a book and map by Anne Vipond. Both very nice and informative, but they don't seem to mate up very well, and neither do a real good job of pointing out landmarks that I can follow progress with!! :confused:

Oh well, I'll try and match them up as good as I can. Anyone familiar with both maps have a suggestion as to which is more accurate???

The Radiance is a big ship. You are going to be further off shore than you might expect to be.

When you can see the shore it will be mostly big, green trees with a few light houses until you get to Ketchikan.

The cheapest thing to do right now is to use GOOGLE and print out some maps on your own printer. Bing has excellent maps as well.

Especially look up your departure from Vancouver.

Having been up and down the coast many times, I feel Upton's map is pretty good. The real issue is that ships do take different routes even in the Inside Passage depending upon wind, tide and current so what you may see one week on one ship may not be exactly what you see from the same ship a week later. That all said, Uptons map does have longitude and latitude on it and you could purchase a inexpensive handheld GPS and tie its readings into the map. However my experience with handheld GPSs is that you really need to be out on an open deck for them to work....tried it once and it really was to much work.

It you have a 3G iPad (with the 3G turned off to avoid $), they have a built in GPS. The iPad also has a nice built in map program that has some detail of the coast from Vancouver to Seward. I would imagine that using the iPad GPS and mapping software you could follow your route fairly closely. The iPad is also great for reading Kindle books.

The trick to buying the 3G iPad is not to turn the 3G function on after buying it. For some reason, I don't know why, only the 3G version has a built in GPS. If you are thinking about doing this talk with an Apple rep at your local Apple store to make certain that what I am saying is correct.

Gregdude (are you Putterdude's brother?? LOL) Awesome idea, I had no idea this was possible??? If I understand you right, the GPS on the iPad will work even if the wireless is turned off???

Putterdude, thanks. I think I will lean towards Upton's map.

Thanks Putterdude, I have the Upton book (and the map), also a book and map by Anne Vipond. Both very nice and informative, but they don't seem to mate up very well, and neither do a real good job of pointing out landmarks that I can follow progress with!! :confused:

Oh well, I'll try and match them up as good as I can. Anyone familiar with both maps have a suggestion as to which is more accurate???

This type of sailing is loaded with uninhabited VASTNESS< of mile and miles. The "land marks" aren't going to be known by you, with great difficulity in even recognizing the few major ones- like Robson Bight/ Bella Bella/ Port Hardy etc etc etc. I have sailed this many times, and hardly am able to make them out. What hopefully you have on your sailing, is a knowledgable "lecturer", which RCI isn't known for. Then hook up with them.

I have put messages through to the bridge, when there are specific areas, I want to know about, for time of transit. Which with you asking the question- can not be answered- there are no "set" times of transit with the exception of Seymour Narrows, which can be looked up ahead, for "likely" transits.

I know OP is not booked on Princess but for anyone else out there who likes to know where on the planet you are at on any given time, everyday in the Princess Patter, it is posted where to follow on the Alaska Cruise Companion map and what pages to read regarding the location. I found this enhanced my recent cruise as I read about wildlife, shipwrecks and general stories about the area we were sailing through that day. The coordinates are also shown on the Navigational channel on TV in your cabin to be able to pinpoint the exact location at any given time so there in no need to locate landmarks to do so.

I cannot comment as I don't know but yes, a GPS would be great! I also attended a talk entitled "Navigation at Sea" which one of the navigation officers gave and included a short movie on the history of navigation and the officer addressing the bridge officers and pilots roles in sailing the ship and all the technology they use today. Since you are interested in this perhaps they offer something similar on your cruise so I thought I'd mention it so maybe you'd can look out for it.

On HAL's Oosterdam, there was a TV channel that did show updated GPS locations, along with speed, relative wind, ocean depth, and lots of other info. The map scale would change, so you could see on a global scale, down to showing the ship in relation to my hometown (just a coincidence, but it was pretty cool).

On HAL's Oosterdam, there was a TV channel that did show updated GPS locations, along with speed, relative wind, ocean depth, and lots of other info. The map scale would change, so you could see on a global scale, down to showing the ship in relation to my hometown (just a coincidence, but it was pretty cool).

That is awesome!!!! But I haven't heard any of the RCI people mention anything like this!!! :confused:

The Celebrity Century has a TV channel that shows the ship location on a map then flips to a screen with data showing speed, current depth, lat and long

the map screen looks like this:

tvmap1.jpg

The view from our balcony looked like this:

view.jpg

We were on the Radiance in June.

While navigating the Inside Passage, the Captain did come over the PA several times to talk about the route we were taking through the Passage.

The television did have a channel that showed the route the ship was taking, but never zoomed in enough to get a really good idea. That channel also was taken off about half way through the trip through the Inside Passage.

I was on Hal on cruise to Alaska. 24/7 on your cabin room and also on some tv 's on ship. they are also 24/7. it tell you everything weather temp Map of Alaska. Where you have been where you are going. How fast, how many miles from port you saled from then port you were just at. How many miles to next port. How the water is where you are and where you are. every thing you want to know and more.

I picked up this wonderful book on my cruise in June on the Amsterdam.

The Alaska cruise handbook a mile by mile guide. It also includes a wonderful map

Mary

Archived