Comparing Carnival, Celebrity, and NCL w/regard to CC Meet-n-Greet's

Tom-n-Cheryl

Wow!! Nice job Tom. And to all the other posters who offered info on how it is done on other lines.

I've been a part and have tried to organize meet n greets off roll calls in the past. Just getting a good time for most is a pain. Just getting affirmatives or no thanks responses form roll callers is like pulling hens teeth. Many roll callers just post once or twice, maybe ask a question if a port is new to them, but then you never see nor hear from them again. We had over 25 CC members on the mid June Dream Western roll call. 5, plus some attendant spouses (but not my DW) and families showed up. For the Breeze's first full Southern Caribbean sailing in November 2012, some are trying to organize this via FB. Plus there appears to be a separate crazies meet and mingle being put together. There are at least 2 roll calls and a monsterous thread (private chat board?) on this board regarding this cruise already. Who knows how this thing is going to get organized in the end. I'm trusting others on this.

Sure would be nice if someone at Carnival would take a gander at how othe lines do this. Love the Epic one.

Thanks again.

I look at it this way ....I go to buy a new car and I see one I really like that's within my budget and fits my needs....but there's another sitting in the showroom that offers extras the one I'm looking at doesn't have. It's nice to get excited and the pull towards more is there but in the end all things considered I'd buy the one that fits my needs and budget best :)

You should shop around. Sometimes the prices on other cruises are not more expensive than CCL's.

Like I said, I just booked a cruise on NCL that winds up being $114 pp/pd for a balcony cabin (I usuaylly look at the rate pp/pd and try to keep it under $150 for a balcony cabin) PLUS I wound up with $425 obc

I rarely get OBC for any CCL cruises.

There are people here that say they book an occasion RCI and Celebrity cruise cheaper than CCL. I believe it...if you shop a little, they are out there. :)

As for the perks, a comparison on that would be great to see.

I did find out (a few months ago) on the NCL boards that they had made changes to their Latitudes perks and it benefitted me right away.

I had just completed my 5th cruise with NCL which moved me up from Bronze to Silver (my DH as well)...so to celebrate a tier move, NCL gives you OBC on your next cruise with them and it's combineable with other discounts or OBC's. We were only able to use one tier promotion (I couldn't apply mine and my DH's on the same sailing) but we had ample time to do that and were able to apply mine on a cruise I had already booked for 2012 his on a sailing for 2013. It was an additional $150 OBC (on each cruise) on top of their other promotions.

For the balcony cabin we have for 2013, we have a total of $425 OBC

For the suite we have booked for 2012, we have $700 OBC because NCL gives you $300 OBC when you book a suite 9 months in advance.

To be fare, we do spend more on our S&S when we sail NCL but that is because we take advantage of all the optional dining venues. But the OBC we usually have offsets that with no problem.

I have no idea what the perk will be when I move from Silver to whatever category is next (Gold I sssume??) I do know that you have to have completed 14 cruises to get to NCL's Platinum where as with CCL, platinum comes on cruise #10. But, with NCL, you get rewarded along the way.

I believe RCI/Celebrity have better past passenger perks than CCL as well....But I don't know exactly what they are.

... but so far I've been really pleased with my vacation experiences with Carnival so a change is highly unlikely at this point.

We were heard to say the same thing.. right up through 25 straight Carnival cruises. ;)

I'd like to see those perks compared between the cruise lines........ Tom do you have any experience with other cruise lines and their perks for various levels?

Interestingly enough, that was my next order of business!

Tom

If you are a Diamond Plus on Royal Caribbean, you get the behind the scenes tour for no charge. Does Carnival do this for the Platinum?

I suggested that to Jim Berra a couple of years ago...

Tom

I've been a part and have tried to organize meet n greets off roll calls in the past. Just getting a good time for most is a pain. Just getting affirmatives or no thanks responses form roll callers is like pulling hens teeth. Many roll callers just post once or twice, maybe ask a question if a port is new to them, but then you never see nor hear from them again. We had over 25 CC members on the mid June Dream Western roll call. 5, plus some attendant spouses (but not my DW) and families showed up...

Yep - getting people to first commit, then actually make an appearance is difficult. It all comes down to how "important" it is to them when compared to other desires and obligations. I, for one (obviously), will be there. We have had a couple roll calls where a time/place was decided upon, with let's say 3 or 4 other CC'ers indicating that they'd be there - only to get there, wait 20-30 minutes beyond the agreed upon time, and finally realize that it was only important to me! Of course, assuming that they even ever post back to the roll call, there are all kinds of "good" excuses! ;)

Tom

We have had roll calls that fell apart and nobody showed and others that have been outstanding.

On our next cruise 9/11 we have an outstanding one going with lots of group activities planned including our first group excursion while in Bermuda.

Thanks for the comparisons

I think that ONLINE registration on Celebrity is a great idea, the "active" people on the roll call could encourage the others to pre-register

And yes, from what I have seen of NCL, they have tons of friendly white suited staff members who are everywhere, interact a LOT with the cruisers,

that was awesome the way they set up your M&G

Not the same but...I have extensive experience with the Groups department on Carnival ..and now one experience with NCL

Carnival has a couple different group coordinators who handle several ships each from Miami. Their input is huge..some are easy to work with (the girl who handles Glory and Imagination is great) and some are NOT

You never get your "assignment" till shortly before you sail...just as the brides don't know what room they get until a week or so before. They also send out your "table seating" (for the first night) and we have a couple days to make adjustments

Once we get our assignment I print up schedules and email schedules..and of course hand them out to those who are sharing a bus or van to port with me

Now if all goes as planned...great...if not...oh well...we are pretty much up the creek. It really depends on the caring and organization of the onshore group person (who handles several ships) and the onboard group person who of course only handles the ship they are on.

Some of the onboard group people are good...like the one on Glory. They make it a point to get to our first meeting place ahead of time, talk to me, give me their phone number (yeah they do have numbers/extension or whatever)

Some are NOT good....I could name the ship but I won't...they were late to the event, which started late, they didn't provide a microphone as promised and they argued about the open bar, and more and much worse

On Glory I was allowed to use the computers free of charge to rewrite a schedule change and they even xeroxed the new "schedule" :) Very nice

~~~~~~~~~~~NCL....wow they were great

Just a short trip and I didn't even have a huge group but....precruise emails and phone calls from group services were timely and informative. They are more "open" to what you want, not what they want

When I boarded I was "red flagged" by name/booking (my first time on NCL) by the group coordinator...she had a welcome letter, schedule and her info right there at the check in desk for me

NCL gave me a FREE check in table for one hour in the 2nd floor of the atrium where "my" cruisers could come and get my printed schedule, their 'wristbands' and the "lanyards" I provide them. This was fantastic for me...usually on Carnival I "set up" by the Pizza Bar (on Imagination) or by the aft area of lido on the wall banquets on the other ships...and try to find people. It takes up my whole afternoon....

on NCL>>> I was able to say be there between 2 and 3 pm at my "desk" or I will see you at dinner

Yes, despite freestyle we had set dinner time of our choice, I picked 6:30 , early for us but worked with the show schedule

We also had a bottle of wine per cabin..which was IN our cabins, so much easier...you can take it to dinner with no corkage as it is their house wine.

On carnival they "deliver" the wine to everyone at the tables which can be a real pain for the leader,as some people don't show up , and some are in solo cabins and should have 2 bottles but a bad "wine lady" with limited english can truly complicate that (been there, done that)

Our NCL open bar parties were great...the group lady came to them both and so did other officers....we had private area of the piano bar and anything we wanted to drink except top shelf

Our 2nd party...on a 3 night cruise....was in the Outrigger lounge..again anything we wanted to drink and the most amazing food....shrimp, salmon and caviar h'ordorves...chicken wings, and steak teriyaki on a stick...wow

we had fantastic service for an hour too...and again a lot of staff, some entertainment staff, a singer we became friends with all stopped by

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think Carnival can improve their M&G but at least they are trying now.

It will depend on the ship and the skills of the onshore group person too

I don't think putting the M&G at an arbitrary time ..like after the muster drill...will work. Carnival needs an online check in or else needs to let one "group roll call" leader or "group cruise leader" interact with the shore staff the same way that my travel agent and I do.

Recently returned from my first cruise on NCL after 9 on Carnival.

We had a group leader on our roll call who contacted NCL to set up a meet and greet. The group was small but NCL did a great job. An invitation was waiting for each person at their cabin upon embarkation. We had snacks and non alcoholic beverages and were greeted by most Sr. Officers including the Captain and CD. The question and answer session was very informative. Later, a bottle of wine and chocolate dipped strawberries were waiting for us in our cabin. Nice touch.

I would have to say that Carnival has done little to almost nothing on any of my M&Gs. I agree with another poster, that there's room for improvement by Carnival in this area.

Just my short 2 cents. :)

Thanks for the comparisons

I think that ONLINE registration on Celebrity is a great idea, the "active" people on the roll call could encourage the others to pre-register

And yes, from what I have seen of NCL, they have tons of friendly white suited staff members who are everywhere, interact a LOT with the cruisers,

that was awesome the way they set up your M&G

Not the same but...I have extensive experience with the Groups department on Carnival ..and now one experience with NCL

Carnival has a couple different group coordinators who handle several ships each from Miami. Their input is huge..some are easy to work with (the girl who handles Glory and Imagination is great) and some are NOT

You never get your "assignment" till shortly before you sail...just as the brides don't know what room they get until a week or so before. They also send out your "table seating" (for the first night) and we have a couple days to make adjustments

Once we get our assignment I print up schedules and email schedules..and of course hand them out to those who are sharing a bus or van to port with me

Now if all goes as planned...great...if not...oh well...we are pretty much up the creek. It really depends on the caring and organization of the onshore group person (who handles several ships) and the onboard group person who of course only handles the ship they are on.

Some of the onboard group people are good...like the one on Glory. They make it a point to get to our first meeting place ahead of time, talk to me, give me their phone number (yeah they do have numbers/extension or whatever)

Some are NOT good....I could name the ship but I won't...they were late to the event, which started late, they didn't provide a microphone as promised and they argued about the open bar, and more and much worse

On Glory I was allowed to use the computers free of charge to rewrite a schedule change and they even xeroxed the new "schedule" :) Very nice

~~~~~~~~~~~NCL....wow they were great

Just a short trip and I didn't even have a huge group but....precruise emails and phone calls from group services were timely and informative. They are more "open" to what you want, not what they want

When I boarded I was "red flagged" by name/booking (my first time on NCL) by the group coordinator...she had a welcome letter, schedule and her info right there at the check in desk for me

NCL gave me a FREE check in table for one hour in the 2nd floor of the atrium where "my" cruisers could come and get my printed schedule, their 'wristbands' and the "lanyards" I provide them. This was fantastic for me...usually on Carnival I "set up" by the Pizza Bar (on Imagination) or by the aft area of lido on the wall banquets on the other ships...and try to find people. It takes up my whole afternoon....

on NCL>>> I was able to say be there between 2 and 3 pm at my "desk" or I will see you at dinner

Yes, despite freestyle we had set dinner time of our choice, I picked 6:30 , early for us but worked with the show schedule

We also had a bottle of wine per cabin..which was IN our cabins, so much easier...you can take it to dinner with no corkage as it is their house wine.

On carnival they "deliver" the wine to everyone at the tables which can be a real pain for the leader,as some people don't show up , and some are in solo cabins and should have 2 bottles but a bad "wine lady" with limited english can truly complicate that (been there, done that)

Our NCL open bar parties were great...the group lady came to them both and so did other officers....we had private area of the piano bar and anything we wanted to drink except top shelf

Our 2nd party...on a 3 night cruise....was in the Outrigger lounge..again anything we wanted to drink and the most amazing food....shrimp, salmon and caviar h'ordorves...chicken wings, and steak teriyaki on a stick...wow

we had fantastic service for an hour too...and again a lot of staff, some entertainment staff, a singer we became friends with all stopped by

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think Carnival can improve their M&G but at least they are trying now.

It will depend on the ship and the skills of the onshore group person too

I don't think putting the M&G at an arbitrary time ..like after the muster drill...will work. Carnival needs an online check in or else needs to let one "group roll call" leader or "group cruise leader" interact with the shore staff the same way that my travel agent and I do.

Great post - THANKS!

Tom

Rich: what's pretty cool on Norwegian EPIC is that if you want to go take a look-see at the operations of the bridge, you just head up to that deck and do it. No invitation needed.

With the exception of when arriving/leaving a port, there is a nice size observation room with a big window to watch the ship's officers in action. You're on the opposite side of the glass, so no security issues.

1215498868_VdTwf-L.jpg

1215498919_YGZMm-L.jpg

Thanks Don - I knew you'd come through with those bridge "viewing room" photos!

Tom

Hoped to help you out on that one, Tom, but the one shot I attempted of the table up close didn't come out worth crop. This one show a bit of the table (that had hot/cold beverages and assorted finger foods) behind some of the staff that was present . . .

1215503669_Y3VSc-L.jpg

1215498868_VdTwf-L.jpg

Obviously on NCL's flagship they might tend to go the extra mile. Those are some really bored looks on their faces. It will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

I think Carnival learned some time ago that M&G are hit and miss at best and to not invest too much into them. Besides, the officers responsibilities extend to all passengers on the ship and their time better spent elsewhere.

EPIC is not the first ship to have an observation area for the bridge. It would be interesting to see if they keep it open for viewing during emergencies. I am reminded of the nose camera on planes and takeoffs and landings.

NCL Spirit

IMG_4732.JPG

IMG_4745.JPG

Well I did it, come 2/25/12 we will see up close and personal NCL's meet and greet on the EPIC ! I'm just giddy with excitement :)

Tom your posts and Don's convinced me to do it, so it's your fault lol.

Booked a spa penthouse suite, the guy from NCL is sending me a video of the room woot !

[quote name=Sargent_Schultz;29874106

I think Carnival learned some time ago that M&G are hit and miss at best and to not invest too much into them. Besides' date=' the officers responsibilities extend to all passengers on the ship and their time better spent elsewhere.

Oh, Carnival used to do M&G? And they stopped? When was this?

[quote name=Sargent_Schultz;29874106

I think Carnival learned some time ago that M&G are hit and miss at best and to not invest too much into them. Besides' date=' the officers responsibilities extend to all passengers on the ship and their time better spent elsewhere.

Oh, Carnival used to do M&G? And they stopped? When was this?

I posted pictures from one earlier in this thread from Carnival Spirit. On the inaugural sailing of Carnival Magic, there was one set up with a couple of drink servers and only a handful of people from CC showed up. Another M&G later in the cruise and all kid of people showed up including the cruise director. In this case, Miss and Hit.

Well I did it, come 2/25/12 we will see up close and personal NCL's meet and greet on the EPIC ! I'm just giddy with excitement :)

Tom your posts and Don's convinced me to do it, so it's your fault lol.

Booked a spa penthouse suite, the guy from NCL is sending me a video of the room woot !

You should have a great time. Have you seen the "Official" CC video tour of the Epic? It is required viewing!!!

Tom

No I will have to look at it, thanks.

The pvp at NCL said we have acess to the courtyard - I didnt really understand what that is ?

ALso he assured me the bathroom DID have those awesome windows.

Guess it's time to do some research on the EPIC - I did see where our cabin is, good location !

The pvp at NCL said we have acess to the courtyard - I didnt really understand what that is ?

ALso he assured me the bathroom DID have those awesome windows.

The courtyard area is on deck 16 - when going to your cabin on 16 or 17, you can look out upon it (pool area). Having access to the courtyard (and other suite complex areas) is a huge PLUS! You will really enjoy the Epic Club restaurant.

They seem to go though periods where they are renaming and re-categorizing their cabins. They have changed it since the last time I looked - now everything suite related seems to refer to the "Haven" now. The Haven has come up as the new name for the suite complex on their next two builds (currently known as the Breakaway Project).

i-W6ThFZC-XL.jpg

It looks like only the "Haven Courtyard Penthouse" is the only one actually IN the Courtyard complex, but the other two (Spa Suite and Penthouse suite) have access. I don't believe that any of them have the same bathroom setup as the Courtyard Villa does though... but have a full width balcony.

It's sacrificing the full width balcony in the Courtyard Villa which gives you the "ocean view" windows of the bathroom:

i-HZZSZmF-XL.jpg

1232154672_YMFf3-L.jpg

I hope that helps, rather than confuses, you!

Tom

The courtyard area is on deck 16 - when going to your cabin on 16 or 17, you can look out upon it (pool area). Having access to the courtyard (and other suite complex areas) is a huge PLUS! You will really enjoy the Epic Club restaurant.

They seem to go though periods where they are renaming and re-categorizing their cabins. They have changed it since the last time I looked - now everything suite related seems to refer to the "Haven" now. The Haven has come up as the new name for the suite complex on their next two builds (currently known as the Breakaway Project).

i-W6ThFZC-XL.jpg

It looks like only the "Haven Courtyard Penthouse" is the only one actually IN the Courtyard complex, but the other two (Spa Suite and Penthouse suite) have access. I don't believe that any of them have the same bathroom setup as the Courtyard Villa does though... but have a full width balcony.

It's sacrificing the full width balcony in the Courtyard Villa which gives you the "ocean view" windows of the bathroom:

i-HZZSZmF-XL.jpg

1232154672_YMFf3-L.jpg

I hope that helps, rather than confuses, you!

Tom

Thanks ! What's the Epic club rest.? That's my last question I promise.

Thanks ! What's the Epic club rest.? That's my last question I promise.

We won't count this one as your last question.. it's still out there in the future somewhere! :D

The Epic Club is a Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner restaurant exclusively for suite guests (even family and friends traveling in non-suite accommodations are not eligible). There is no extra charge for dining there, as you have essentially already paid the tab, owing to your being in a suite! Their menu does not really differ through the week, but they often have daily specials. On all other NCL ships they have a steakhouse (Cagney's) which is reserved for suite guests during breakfast and lunch, but open to all (at additional cost, including suite guests) for dinner.

Here is the Epic Club menu:

EPIC CLUB MENUS

BREAKFAST

Belgian Waffle (Choice of Grand Marnier Strawberries, Dark Rum Island Pineapple or Cinnamon Apple Topping with Whipped Cream)

Buttermilk Hot Cakes (Walnut Butter, Caramelized Banana)

Tahitian Vanilla Challah French Toast (Cinnamon-scented Macerated Berries, Mascarpone)

Crab Cakes Benedict (Two Poached Eggs, Cagney's Crab Cakes, Toasted English Muffin, Dill Hollandaise)

Traditional Eggs Benedict (Two Poached Eggs, Canadian Bacon, Toasted English Muffin, Hollandaise)

Smoked Salmon Frittata Open Faced Omelet (Asparagus, Potatoes, Shallots, Herbed Boursin)

Three Egg Omelet (Choice of Ham, Onions, Bell Peppers, Chorizo, Mushrooms or Cheese)

Fruits de Mer in Brioche (Lobster and Scallops in Toasted Brioche with a Poached Egg and Choron Sauce)

Steak and Eggs (Petite Grilled Fillet of Beef, Two Eggs any Style)

Two Eggs any Style (Choice of Bacon or Link Sausage)

LUNCH

APPETIZERS

Soup of the Day

Colossal Shrimp Cocktail (Cocktail Sauce)

Fresh Smoked Salmon (Toasted Brioche and Citrus Herb Cream)

Grilled Asparagus and Prosciutto (Parmesan Reggiano and Mushrooms)

Mixed Greens (Hearts of Palm, Mandarin Orange, Coconut and Dijon Honey Dressing)

BURGERS AND SANDWICHES

Grilled Angus Burger (Choice of Cheese, Lettuce, Onion, Tomato, French Fries)

Turkey Burger (Thai Herbs, Grilled Pineapple, Sweet and Sour Red Pepper Relish)

Classic French Dip (On Toasted Baguette with Au Jus)

Sesame Crusted Ahi Tuna Burger (Ginger Slaw, Wasabi Mayonnaise, French Fries)

Bruschetta with Roasted Peppers and Fresh Mozzarella (Arugula Salad)

ENTREES

Fettuccini with Porcini Mushrooms (Truffle Cream Sauce)

Pan Seared Sea Scallops (Artichoke and Chive Risotto)

Grouper Milanese (Arugula and Tomato Salad)

Butter Roasted Breast of Chicken (Cheddar Cheese Polenta and Garlic Rosemary Jus)

Grilled Angus New York Strip (White Truffle Fries)

DESSERTS

Warm Espresso Chocolate Brownie (Macadamia Nut Ice Cream)

Carrot Cake (Homemade Orange Marmalade)

Banana Cream Pie (Chocolate Caramel Drizzle, Toasted Coconut)

Marinated Berries and Mango (Crispy Almond Wafer)

Ice Cream and Sherbet (Today's Selection)

DINNER

APPETIZERS

Butternut Squash Soup (Duck Confit)

Gazpacho with Seafood (Roasted Garlic Crostini)

Salad of Butter and Lola Rosa Lettuce (Pistachios, Olives, Pancetta, Creamy Dijon Vinaigrette)

Roasted Beets and Arugula (Warm Goat Cheese Crouton, Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Lemon)

Polenta Cake and Asparagus (Porcini Mushroom Cream)

Crispy Shrimp Cake (Water Chestnuts and Scallions, Wasabi Cream)

Ahi Tuna Poke (Sesame Seaweed Salad)

ENTREES

Grilled Filet of Beef (Cremini Mushrooms and Potato Hash, Caramelized Shallot Sauce)

Sonoma Duck Breast (Roasted Apples, Wild Rice, Black Mission Fig Jus)

Boneless Beef Short Rib (Root Vegetables, Scalloped Potatoes)

Breast of Chicken (with Linguice Sausage, Polenta Cake, Roasted Peppers)

Butter Roasted Sea Bass (Mussels and Lobster, Fennel Sauce)

Grilled Gulf Shrimp (Gnocchi Romaine, Garlic, Tomato and Scallion Butter)

Wild Mushroom Ravioli (Butter Sauce with White Truffle Essence)

DESSERTS

Warm Pear and Ginger Crumble (Honey and Lemon Ice Cream)

A Tasting of Chocolate (White Chocolate Brulee, Chocolate and Praline Cake, Milk Shake)

Coconut and Mango Soufflé (Pineapple Rum Sauce)

Mocha Chocolate Mousse (Vanilla and Raspberry Cream, Hazelnut Crunch)

Great ambiance in there, and very good service (nice two toppers by the windows)!

i-xVjx6wF-L.jpg

Looking back at our trip earlier this year, I wonder why we dined in other (extra pay) restaurants 6 of 7 nights!!

Tom

just wanted to say that the Crab Cakes Benedict is as good as it sounds :D

Numerous people have posted the same thing. I enjoyed the Eggs Benedict onboard, and I like Crabcakes - but I just can't bring myself to put the two together!

On the Epic (w/nice runny yolks, which Carnival has a hard time with!):

1232154953_naP8X-L.jpg

Tom

Archived