I <heart> Silversea...my confession.

Northerncheapo

We just booked our second cruise. I am officially hooked!
Cool Nigella! And, a holiday cruise to boot!

You'll have to let us know what you think about it when you get back. I'd really like to do one someday and am curious what SS does to make the ship extra special for Christmas and New Years.

Does SS actually have a designation for the amount someone sailes or are you guys just making it up?
Well, both ways. From what we have read on this board before, you become a Venetian member after your first voyage, get a sapphier pin after 100 days, a ruby pin after 350 days and not sure what after that. Anyway, on the Silversea website http://www.silversea.com/venetian-society/ you can read the following:

"Milestone Rewards

When you sail 100 days or more, your loyalty is rewarded.

After 100 days: receive up to 5% additional savings and complimentary laundry service (excludes dry cleaning and “press only”)

After 250 days: receive up to 10% additional savings

After 350 days: receive a complimentary 7-day voyage

After 500 days: receive a complimentary 14-day voyage

After the 500-day milestone, receive a complimentary 7-day voyage for each 150 days sailed"

"Milestone Rewards

After 500 days: receive a complimentary 14-day voyage

On our last cruise ( Shadow - Seoul to Anchorage ) there were several frequent floaters on board. One lady was presented with a diamond pin at the Venetian cocktail party to mark her 500 nights. :)

:)Quote:

Originally Posted by Northerncheapo viewpost.gif

Scott...wholly-molly...SEVENTEEN times? That is awesome...good for you!!

No, I do not know Loretta...who is she?

Anita

Mississauga, Ontario

Anita - Scott doesn't hold a candle to some frequent floaters on SS, and now you've started on your own days on board -- good for you !!!;) Yesterday 04:33 PM

Good morning all,

Dusababy is correct, 17 times with Silversea is nothing compared to many loyal passengers. Dusababy herself has many more then that. Just wanted you to know that whenever I've cruised, it's been with Silversea. Like Northerncheapo, Dusababy and so many of you, I also <heart> Silversea. Welcome to the world of Silversea. :)

Anita, please email me when you can. ScottTorontoCanada@yahoo.com

You're in Mississauga, I'm downtown TO.

Regards,

ScottToronto

PS. MaryAnn, hope all is well. We haven't chatted for a long time. Warm regards from Canada.

Our first Silversea cruise is this coming March so we're newbies to the line but not to cruising. Over the years, starting in 1995, we've cruised a few lines and settled more or less with Holland America as our cruise line of choice. Our main focus has always been destinations but we have, especially early on, enjoyed the slightly more formal atmosphere of Holland America. A number of things have happened over the years. First, we've kind of run the board so to speak on new and different domestic itineraries from US ports. Two, there has been a decline in the cruise experience on HAL, without opening a can of worms it's just not what it was a few years ago. Three, our analysis of the cost differential between Silversea and our typical suite bookings on HAL doesn't seem, maybe thanks to Silversea specials, to be as great and in fact is actually quite close. With the caveat of managed expectations we're quite excited about our first and hopefully not last Silversea cruise. :)

Randy, although I am not a seasoned cruiser on any line, I think you will love Silversea! Don't forget to post a report on how you found it :)

Thanks Meow for the explanation...I can't even imagine 500 nights! Do you get to drive the boat at least for a treat? LOL

Scott, I sent an email to you from my northerncheapo@hotmail.com account so make sure it didn't go to your garbage file. Thanks!

I'm STILL hooked on that side bar that has threads from all other cruise lines...some of the stories are like watching a train wreck, and I can't turn away! I'm especially getting a kick out of two particular threads...one on Chair Hogs and another on Rude Table Mates. Oh my! Have I mentioned that I love SS?

Dusababy is correct, 17 times with Silversea is nothing compared to many loyal passengers. Dusababy herself has many more then that. Just wanted you to know that whenever I've cruised, it's been with Silversea. Like Northerncheapo, Dusababy and so many of you, I also <heart> Silversea. Welcome to the world of Silversea. :)

Anita, please email me when you can. ScottTorontoCanada@yahoo.com

You're in Mississauga, I'm downtown TO.

Regards,

ScottToronto

PS. MaryAnn, hope all is well. We haven't chatted for a long time. Warm regards from Canada.

I'm fine Scott -- looking forward to Southampton/Barcelona on Cloud in September -- still doing my part in keeping SS afloat for frequent floaters....(oh, couldn't resist, sorry about that.....) ;)

Regards back to you in Canada...

Mary Ann

As an inveterate spreadsheet analyzer, I costed out the variables in depth and really and truly bottom line feel that SS is only maybe about 10 to tops 20% more than the other mega ships... but then again those ships do not have the ambiance and other unquantifiable pleasures of no tipping, great wine, service beauty and butlers etc etc. I am worth the little bit extra for sure! I also feel that you always save at least 10% when you prepay for things like your drinks, tips, excursions etc. The daily add up can be way more than many folks budget for and they come home feeling pretty empty of pocket which can leave a bad taste. I don't want to decide not to get the nice wine that day because I just over spent on something the day before.

As an inveterate spreadsheet analyzer, I costed out the variables in depth...
Great. It will be even better if you can post the details of your calculations to share with the rest of us. There are quite a few analytical consumers on this board, inclduing us cats!

You would think that these analysis' would be easily or readily available, so I would also appreciate your findings nvcolletjr.

But then again...if 'they' find out that SS isn't much off the mark, would that mean that Hairy Chest Contests and Belly Flop contests would find their way on the ship????:eek: Maybe we better keep this info to ourselves.

... would that mean that Hairy Chest Contests and Belly Flop contests would find their way on the ship????:eek: .
No, economics is one thing, on board activities offered is quite another, it depends on the clientele what activities are appreciated, and for the Silversea age group, not a chance.

Distain for those activities is generalized, not limited to an "age group"!

Agree. We're (still) a bit younger than the typical SS demographic and would rather gouge out our eyes than watch that! Didn't care much for it in our 20s either, back when all we could afford was those types of cruises.

To the OP, you share my exact concerns about cruising. I did a transatlantic crossing with Cunard this spring and loved it, mainly because of the things it didn't have (contests, line ups, announcements etc). We are now looking at a Carribean cruise this fall and are considering HAL, Celebrity and now Silverseas. I know I'd love Silverseas, no question, but is it worth the extra $ ?

Thanks.

As an inveterate spreadsheet analyzer, I costed out the variables in depth and really and truly bottom line feel that SS is only maybe about 10 to tops 20% more than the other mega ships... but then again those ships do not have the ambiance and other unquantifiable pleasures of no tipping, great wine, service beauty and butlers etc.

Do you have a number for wine and spirits onboard Silversea ships? Just curious about how close my OBC will get to give me parity with the other passengers onboard.

From afar, I have watched Silversea, Seabourn, and Regent as I am a teetotaler and the numbers didn't work for me. As a line item for each suite, it was a no-go to be buying drinks all 'round for the other passengers so I stood on the curb and watched the parade pass by.

As a fan of the late, lamented Royal Viking Line, I talked to Silversea about my dilemma. The agent gave me an OBC for the wine and spirits I would not consume so I am booked on my first Silversea cruise and will book a second onoboard. After many decades of sailing on the high seas, I look forward to becoming a Venetian member.

Ruby

Ruby,

Do you attend the shows at night? If so I am subsidizing your attendance because I do not go to them and they cost Silversea far more than the alcohol they provide and I'm not complaining. I go on Silversea or Seabourn for the total experience and don't worry about who's drinking what. I've seen people eat three times what I do. Does that mean we are subsidizing their gluttony?

Ruby,

Do you attend the shows at night? If so I am subsidizing your attendance because I do not go to them and they cost Silversea far more than the alcohol they provide and I'm not complaining. I go on Silversea or Seabourn for the total experience and don't worry about who's drinking what. I've seen people eat three times what I do. Does that mean we are subsidizing their gluttony?

A big DITTO !!!

As a fan of the late, lamented Royal Viking Line, I talked to Silversea about my dilemma. The agent gave me an OBC for the wine and spirits I would not consume so I am booked on my first Silversea cruise and will book a second onoboard.

Ruby

Hi Ruby...

Just curious...is the OBC directly from Silversea or from your travel agent, (if any).

Ruby, Do you attend the shows at night? If so I am subsidizing your attendance because I do not go to them and they cost Silversea far more than the alcohol they provide and I'm not complaining. I go on Silversea or Seabourn for the total experience and don't worry about who's drinking what. I've seen people eat three times what I do. Does that mean we are subsidizing their gluttony?

A big DITTO !!!

I knew when I posted this note that there would be blow-back. I asked a simple question and hoped to get a simple answer without remonstration. I do hope that Our Lady of the Numbers, nvcolettijr, can give me an answer.

Hi Ruby...Just curious...is the OBC directly from Silversea or from your travel agent, (if any).

That's a good question. My TA gave me the credit. I told him in the original conversation that "you don't know me and I don't know you but I do not drink wine, spirits, coffee, tea, or sodas." My doctor father lived to be 91 years old and, late in his life, I asked him why that is. He thumped himself on the chest and said, "I did that! I wanted you to have a clean mouth!" If I drink milk or alcohol or sugar drinks, I have to rinse my mouth out because it feels coated and icky. At an early age, I chose to stick with water.

What you do is your own thing and I make no judgments one way or the other.

Ruby

That's a good question. My TA gave me the credit. I told him in the original conversation that "you don't know me and I don't know you but I do not drink wine, spirits, coffee, tea, or sodas." My doctor father lived to be 91 years old and, late in his life, I asked him why that is. He thumped himself on the chest and said, "I did that! I wanted you to have a clean mouth!" If I drink milk or alcohol or sugar drinks, I have to rinse my mouth out because it feels coated and icky. At an early age, I chose to stick with water.

What you do is your own thing and I make no judgments one way or the other.

Ruby

Thanks for this, Ruby. The reason I ask is, if it's your travel agent then who cares? It's not Silversea that's making an accommodation for you...it's your travel agent that wants to keep your business.

I don't blame you one iota for asking or making your preferences known.

Thanks for this, Ruby. The reason I ask is, if it's your travel agent then who cares? It's not Silversea that's making an accommodation for you...it's your travel agent that wants to keep your business. I don't blame you one iota for asking or making your preferences known.

Thanks for your comments, Craig. I was stunned when the TA said he would give me X credit on my OBC. I know it came out of his pocket. If he had said that an OBC was impossible, I would have done one cruise on Silversea and never sailed again with the luxury lines. For me, it's a numbers game.

My silent joke all these years was getting a gift bottle of wine in my cabin then wandering the halls trying to give it away. Turns out crew are not allowed to accept it - the assumption by the officers or hotel director is that the bottle has been "lifted" from the cabin. When I think of a bottle of wine, I think of an albatross hanging around my neck.

I'm so happy to become a Silversea client with the generous support of my TA. By the bye, I will be RIO to CPT in Jan 2013. Be sure to give us your notes when you get back next year.

Again, your note is appreciated.

Ruby

I love you Silversea! Can’t wait to see you again in 302 days!

I meant to say how much I enjoyed Northerncheapo's notes on her very first cruise. It was humbling and refreshing to read her enthusiasm for sailing on Silversea and her discovery of the many joys of a good cruise ship. May she have many more.

Ruby

Archived