Tripod while on the ship

I cruise Royal Caribbean, and I asked them prior to leaving whether or not a tripod would be allowed. They had on problem with it.

But it is kind of a pain to take one.

My suggestions are either a monopod, which is more conducive to travel, or a small tabletop tripod.

The tabletop tripod of my choice is a Trek Tech T-Pod, which is very well made, very durable metal construction, although it's MSRP is $50:

http://www.trek-tech.com/

But you can find them at this link for $29.95 right now with free shipping. That is where I bought mine:

http://www.sellnsend.com/p-350-trek-tech-t-pod-mag-mount-ball-head-small-table-tripod.aspx

It packs away to almost nothing, and includes a storage bag. It can hold an incredible 9lbs of camera, and can be used as a video support with a little imagination.

It will only go 13" high, but it breaks down to 7", and it can also be used as a tabletop monopod.

Here are YouTube videos of it's capabilities.

I use it mostly for macro use so I can get right down on the deck, but it also works great for cruise travel.

Another option is a GorillaPod - the large DSLR version (but it's more expensive than the Trek Tech).

I have taken a tripod on every cruise and maybe used it .1% of the time. Since I got my first sensor-stabilized camera back in 2004, my usage has really dropped to near zero. Still, I take it "just in case". I picked up a Velbon Ultra Maxi a few years ago and at about 2 lbs for a normal-height tripod that folds to 14", there isn't much penalty for including it in the luggage.

Early morning ship-roaming shot needed the tripod:

p1055958417-4.jpg

Used the floor instead of a tripod for this 10 sec exposure in a dimly lit hallway:

p3743509-4.jpg

About 1/2 sec hand-held:

p855401436-4.jpg

I have never had anyone complain about my tripod use on a ship. To be fair, I have also never set up my tripod on the walkway around the pool at noon on a sea day or in the dining room. Let common sense and courtesy determine where you use your tripod and you won't have a problem. Also keep in mind that using the tripod to shoot ports at night from the ship can be a problem since the ship tends to move even when moored.

Bottom line: When you need a tripod, it's better to have one with you than not. It's just not very often that you will truly need one.

Dave

Count me in the monopod camp.

Yes, a tripod can be very useful for some night shots but you have to weigh it's benefits against it's size & weight. I do a lot of wildlife photography and am often on the move and have to travel relatively light. The monopod packs smaller & lighter and is easier to work with in tight spaces and in crowds. Unfortunately it takes good technique and a bit of luck to get long length exposures with it.

If you are driving to the port or flying and allowed two checked bags for free I'd consider the tripod. But if you have to pay for your checked bags I would seriously question if you would get enough use from it to be worth while. Also consider the type of photography you will be doing. Will you be doing long exposure night shots? Are you taking a huge telephoto that needs support? Is carrying the tripod worth the photos you will get?

In the end it's up to you. If you want it, take it.

I would not take a tripod. They are not recommended because of the vibration of the ship (at least not on the small expedition ships). I would only take a monopod for an expedition type cruise, and only to used on land. I used it the most in Galapagos.

I carry a Sherpa tripod, it is lightweight. I rarely use it on the ship, mainly for sunset shots so that I can use the zoom and trigger camera remotely. Otherwise I rely on the VR lenses.

On shore excursions I carry it for when I want a pic of me & my wife or for my HDR shots.

I do bring tripods on my cruises, always. I've never had a problem using them on 3 different lines so far, so I wouldn't expect any problems. Don't do anything silly like block a hallway to set up your tripod in the dead center during the dinner rush! ;)

I find them useful indeed, if you are into a few different types of photography: 1. Onboard, I enjoy taking long exposure interior and night shots of the various lounges and rooms, and exterior decks. 2. I enjoy taking night shots of the ship from the dock at ports where you stay past sunset. 3. I enjoy taking long-lens shots which are sometimes aided by a tripod, or using very long lenses to check out an island from by balcony, with the tripod as a nice, stable telescope base.

They're even useful for the occasional creative idea - like putting the camera on the tripod, fully extended, setting your camera to 10-second timer, then holding the camera legs, stick the camera 6 feet out over the ocean to take a shot of the side of the ship at motion, from a position further than your hands can reach. Best to use a tripod strap or handstrap for the 'just in case' so your camera doesn't end up entertaining the crabs and octopus in the deep ocean crevasses.

Thanks everyone. I am still new to the DSLR camera type of shots and I would like to get some low light pics. I think I will bring it, it is light enough and we are driving to the port.

I never would have thought of hanging it over the side but I may give it a shot if I can rig a strap long enough and get over my fear of dropping it to the bottom of the ocean.

It's good for getting just that extra few feet out for a little better perspective of the side of the ship...like this:

original.jpg

original.jpg

I have a carry strap that is hooked onto one of the legs, so holding the tripod legs extended to max length, but compacted together like a monopod, I can get that carry strap wrapped once around my wrist to keep me from dropping the whole thing.

I am also considering buying a Trek Pod Go Pro for my next cruise.

It is sort of half way between a tripod and monopod, and seems like a unique product for travel.

Here is a video that explains how it works:

Here is another video showing how it assembles - this too is rather unique, and I suppose results in a thinner profile which perhaps helps in packing it for travel.

If you look into some of the reviews, there is some criticism about it's quality, but as I mentioned above, I do have a Trek Mini T-Pod, and I have found the quality to be top notch - at least for that model.

Yea, it's made in China, but what isn't these days.

But I still do have some reservation about their magnetic quick mount, however you can replace it with any conventional 1/4-20 ball mount.

I do have a Benro monopod with tri legs, but the legs are lightweight and not too supportive, and not as wide of a stance as the Trek.

Anyone else think the Trek Pod is a neat idea?

I take a tripod on most trips, cruises included. I like doing long exposures, and sometimes use the tripod or two to hold an off camera flash.

Besides, most pickpockets can't get close enough to you to get anything if you have the legs extended on your tripod and carry it over one shoulder!;)

• 2 weeks later...
It's good for getting just that extra few feet out for a little better perspective of the side of the ship...like this:

original.jpg

original.jpg

I have a carry strap that is hooked onto one of the legs, so holding the tripod legs extended to max length, but compacted together like a monopod, I can get that carry strap wrapped once around my wrist to keep me from dropping the whole thing.

Those photos are AMAZING! We're getting a new camera before our cruise so I'll be sure to try some shots like this (when my husband isn't looking of course!!!)

Carol

• 8 months later...

Thank you for all posters! I’d like to especially thank those posters who are serious about photography, know what they are doing, and helped others. And thanks for all those gorgeous pictures.

Most of my questions regarding tripods have been answered on this and other threads, such as

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1572348

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1515113

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1587971

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1581369

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1508847

We are new to cruising, though not to photography nor traveling. I am considering bringing a 1000 mm (yet slow) lens for photography from the ship. Just two questions remain:

(1) Does HAL have a policy against bringing aboard of, or the use of, or tripods? From all the other posts it appears that HAL does not prohibit it, and the HAL website is silent on this issue, but I just want to be sure that there I wont get any surprises when I try to board.

(2) I believe that our ship, Statendam (a medium sized 56000 grt vessel), has internal propulsion engines. I am worried about the vibrations. Do you know of any studies or empirical evidence, that would determine if the vibrations are serious enough to lose the sharpness at typical exposure time? If so, what is the longest exposure time (1/500, 1/1000, 1/2000 sec?) that you would recommend to mitigate vibrations?

Count me in the monopod camp.

Yes, a tripod can be very useful for some night shots but you have to weigh it's benefits against it's size & weight. I do a lot of wildlife photography and am often on the move and have to travel relatively light. The monopod packs smaller & lighter and is easier to work with in tight spaces and in crowds. Unfortunately it takes good technique and a bit of luck to get long length exposures with it.

t.

Two tricks will help with a monopod.

My dSLR has a delayed shutter release. You press the button, the mirror pops up and then the camera waits 2 seconds before taking the picture. This gives you a chance to brace and reduce camera movement.

If you do not have this option, use your self timer. This has the same effect of giving you a chance to brace the camera.

Both help a lot.

DON

I'd love to occasionally have a sturdy tripod but not nearly often enough to lug one around on a cruise.

I have two that I usually take. One is a combination table top and clamp tripod that is pretty inexpensive and has been a great item. I bought it from Adorama but I don't know if they are the only ones selling it: http://www.adorama.com/TPCPL.html?utm_source=ET&utm_medium=TransactionalEmail&utm_campaign=2point0Product1 This is $12 with free shipping!

I also take another very lightweight tripod which extends to about 4 1/2 feet high. I use this mostly for group photos with the camera's timer when the table top unit won't work. While it was very lightweight and inexpensive it is pretty flimsy too. I'd love to find a sturdier lightweight unit that doesn't run a fortune. I will say that while I bring the lightweight one on most trips we don't always use it.

• 4 weeks later...
Thank you for all posters! I’d like to especially thank those posters who are serious about photography, know what they are doing, and helped others. And thanks for all those gorgeous pictures.

Most of my questions regarding tripods have been answered on this and other threads, such as

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1572348

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1515113

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1587971

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1581369

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1508847

We are new to cruising, though not to photography nor traveling. I am considering bringing a 1000 mm (yet slow) lens for photography from the ship. Just two questions remain:

(1) Does HAL have a policy against bringing aboard of, or the use of, or tripods? From all the other posts it appears that HAL does not prohibit it, and the HAL website is silent on this issue, but I just want to be sure that there I wont get any surprises when I try to board.

(2) I believe that our ship, Statendam (a medium sized 56000 grt vessel), has internal propulsion engines. I am worried about the vibrations. Do you know of any studies or empirical evidence, that would determine if the vibrations are serious enough to lose the sharpness at typical exposure time? If so, what is the longest exposure time (1/500, 1/1000, 1/2000 sec?) that you would recommend to mitigate vibrations?

HAL does not care if you bring a tripod. I have carried one a couple of times on-board HAL with no issues from them. Can't really help you about any studies, but the one time I used my tripod on the ship, was entering NY harbor and taking pictures of the Statue of Liberty. It was early morning with the sun just coming up and I was able to get some good pictures using a Tamron 28-300. They were not tack sharp when cropped in for a professional but for my use at home I was satisfied.

Cheers,

Archived