liquor from mexico

djsfamily

we are taking a 7 day western carribean cruise, we are going to be stopping in jamaica and mexico and might buy some liquor, but we are flying back to minneapolis from miami post cruise...how do we do this, can we bring alcohol back from these places, has anyone ever done this?

Thanks for your help

Bring bubble wrap with you?? They will give it to you in a box if you buy it onboard, but Id still take it out and bubble wrap it.

You would have to check your suitcae to fly it home. Iv done a cruise with only a carry on, so you couldnt do that.

From Magellans we got Bottle Armor

http://www.magellans.com/store/Packing_Aids___Wine_Carriers

OTOH Flying back from Italy I just tightly sandwiched the chiati bottle of Melloncello in my clothes. I packed my expanded suitcase then closed the expansion. The suitcase was a solid rock. 18 hours and a change of planes later arrived safely home. We ended up using the Bottle Armor for delicate glass in our carryon.

I've brought back rum from the caribbean and tequila from Mexico without a problem. The last evening while packing, I wrap each bottle in a pair of jeans or in a beach towel, and place it in the center of a piece of luggage. Between the wrapping and the rest of my clothes surrounding the "package", I've never had a problem with breakage.

They make good gifts for my friends out here.

we are taking a 7 day western carribean cruise, we are going to be stopping in jamaica and mexico and might buy some liquor, but we are flying back to minneapolis from miami post cruise...how do we do this, can we bring alcohol back from these places, has anyone ever done this?

Thanks for your help

Hi,

US Customs will allow you to bring alcohol ( from Mexico I think 1 liter per person ( adult) duty free and even more if you want to pay the 'duty' on the additional bottles.

But there is a problem how to get it home if you are not driving but flying.

First make sure the alcohol content is not above what is allowed to be in the plane - I am not sure if the limit is 140 proof or less - alcohol is very flamable and you are on the same plane too.

Second how to carry it in the suitcase ? Bubble wrap ( as suggested above) helps but it is not a 100 % guarantee that the liquid will not be in all of your clothing. Many had good luck and nothing broke, but some cried a lot when their expensive clothing got ruined.

So to make it safer put the bubble wraped bottle in a plastic 'zip lock' and maybe even another zip lock - better safe than sorry.

Some will say why all this extra protection - they never had a problem ...... up to you what risk you want to take.

Take a look through the planes window how your luggage is handled and what you do not see is probably worse.

Enjoy your liquor

Wes

I'm one who has packed it with all care by wrapping in swim trunks, then jeans, and then between two items in the middle of the suitcase, and they still broke. That was my first cruise, and was also the first and last time i tried to bring it back home. They sell the same stuff in the U.S.

Archived