How to kill time in NYC before flight?

shonandsuzie

Hopefully, someone can help us. Our upcoming Miracle cruise ends on Sunday 9/11. Our flight isn't until 6:30 p.m. from LGA. I know it will be "9/11" so it may be hectic that day. We need something to do so that we don't end up sitting at the airport all day long :rolleyes:.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance! :)

Check your luggage at Schwartz Travel and wander around midtown until 3-4 pm. Without your luggage you can do anything you like - Times Square, Central Park, Fifth Ave, Rockefeller Center, etc.

Thanks so much for the response! :) Where is Swartz travel in relation to the cruise port? And do you know how much that costs?

Thanks so much for the response! :) Where is Swartz travel in relation to the cruise port? And do you know how much that costs?

Okay. I Googled it and found the locations and prices. But I am not very familiar with the city to picture where it is in relation to the cruise terminal. I am guessing if we take a cab there they will know what we're talking about?

The location on W. 36th is closest, then the W 46th and lastly the W 32nd. If you have the address a cab will know where it is. I'd figure out what you want to see in NY. You can do a loop from W. 36th up to Times Square and over to Rockfeller Center, down 5th Ave to the Empire State and west across 34th St to Macy's and back to Schwartz to get a cab to the airport. You can do a similar loop starting at their W. 46th St. location. Perhaps the New Yorkers will advise. My instincts say W. 46th because your cab can then take the free 59th St. Bridge to go to LGA.

Perhaps you should figure out what you might want to do and then ask the question again.

The location on W. 36th is closest, then the W 46th and lastly the W 32nd. If you have the address a cab will know where it is. I'd figure out what you want to see in NY. You can do a loop from W. 36th up to Times Square and over to Rockfeller Center, down 5th Ave to the Empire State and west across 34th St to Macy's and back to Schwartz to get a cab to the airport. You can do a similar loop starting at their W. 46th St. location. Perhaps the New Yorkers will advise. My instincts say W. 46th because your cab can then take the free 59th St. Bridge to go to LGA.

Perhaps you should figure out what you might want to do and then ask the question again.

I like the idea of the one on W. 46th b/c I am sure we'll have a little anxiety about gettint to the airport on time so the closer the better at that point.

You are right about deciding what we want to do and then get some tips. The problem is, we'll be in NY 3 days pre-cruise so I imagine we'll want to do/see whatever we haven't gotten to do yet. We've only been to New York once before so it's quite overwhelming.

We have a 48 hour "bus tour" set up pre-cruise so we can see "everything" so I honestly can't imagine what we might want to go back to:confused:.

just remember, the entire city, especially midtown down to Ground Zero will be a mess that day....i would allow extra time to get to the airport....

Yea, we've been thinking about that :eek:.

Actually, I just had a thought. (see what "discussing it" with others does:D). Do you know is Carnival does the Luggage Express in New York? That would really simplify things if they do...

I like the idea of the one on W. 46th b/c I am sure we'll have a little anxiety about gettint to the airport on time so the closer the better at that point.

You are right about deciding what we want to do and then get some tips. The problem is, we'll be in NY 3 days pre-cruise so I imagine we'll want to do/see whatever we haven't gotten to do yet. We've only been to New York once before so it's quite overwhelming.

We have a 48 hour "bus tour" set up pre-cruise so we can see "everything" so I honestly can't imagine what we might want to go back to:confused:.

Yea, we've been thinking about that :eek:.

Actually, I just had a thought. (see what "discussing it" with others does:D). Do you know is Carnival does the Luggage Express in New York? That would really simplify things if they do...

If you are going to be in NYC for 3 days pre cruise, a few hours before your flight would not let you see much you haven't already seen. And since it will be 9/11, the City will be a mess. Why don't you take your "luggage storage fee" and pay for a day pass in the lounge of whatever airline you are flying (except Southwest and a few others). Will be a quiet, relaxing place with TV, computers, generally showers, food and booze (these usually have to be paid for with a day pass).

Luggage Express, Luggage Valet, etc.etc (all the cruise lines call it something different) is generally restricted to FLL cruises.

If you are going to be in NYC for 3 days pre cruise, a few hours before your flight would not let you see much you haven't already seen. And since it will be 9/11, the City will be a mess. Why don't you take your "luggage storage fee" and pay for a day pass in the lounge of whatever airline you are flying (except Southwest and a few others). Will be a quiet, relaxing place with TV, computers, generally showers, food and booze (these usually have to be paid for with a day pass).

Luggage Express, Luggage Valet, etc.etc (all the cruise lines call it something different) is generally restricted to FLL cruises.

I am not familiar with those lounges. I will research them. Thanks for the baggage express info too.

Oh..since you have 3 days ahead, I agree with greatam......head to one of the lounges if applicable.......i would avoid NYC that day, especially since you have the time before your trip!

I did check out the lounge idea. It's $50/pp. unless I find a deal. We are going to check into using miles for it too.

Or you could get a day room at an airport hotel.

That's an idea. Hadn't even thought of that!

Such great ideas. Thanks for the help! I am thinking we'll really be "free" from noon until 4.

I did check out the lounge idea. It's $50/pp. unless I find a deal. We are going to check into using miles for it too.

IF you fly enough, Priority Pass may be an option and has lounges at most every airport in the world. They can be true lifesavers in more ways than one and after the yearly membership fee ($99), $54.00 per visit for two. Gives you a place to chill out for those long layovers without forking out the big dollars for lounge passes from the airline. I have an unlimited PP membership and use it almost every trip. I fly a lot to some weird places where my Admiral's Club membership (AA) does me no good. http://www.prioritypass.com/index01.cfm

Such great ideas. Thanks for the help! I am thinking we'll really be "free" from noon until 4.

If you only have 4 hours, I wouldn't even get a day room. Cost for something decent close to the airport will most likely be as much as the airport lounge purchased through the airlines. Airport lounge or the airport it is.

Well, if they just want to relax a couple of hours, why not go to a hotel, sit in the lobby and chill. I am thinking that the Marriott Marquis in Times Square, and there are a couple of others, wouldn't blink an eye. Go the coffee bar, sit down and get a coffee and look out the window and relax. It is cheaper than going to an airport lounge. There will be plenty of folks with suitcases waiting to check in or waiting for their ride out milling about with suitcases. jmo

IF you fly enough, Priority Pass may be an option and has lounges at most every airport in the world. They can be true lifesavers in more ways than one and after the yearly membership fee ($99), $54.00 per visit for two. Gives you a place to chill out for those long layovers without forking out the big dollars for lounge passes from the airline. I have an unlimited PP membership and use it almost every trip. I fly a lot to some weird places where my Admiral's Club membership (AA) does me no good. http://www.prioritypass.com/index01.cfm

We do fly a bit but we haven't been faithful to any particular airline and bounce around so much that we havent really built up many miles, points, etc. anywhere.

I was checking out that Priority Club membership. Is it $99 for the membership and then you pay an additonal $54 for 2 when you enter it each time? Their page on their website that shows the membership fees/plans is down right now so I cant see it myself yet.

Thanks for all of the help everyone!

We're definately going with the priority or VIP airport lounges. That way we can get off the ship, get to where we have to be and then chill the day away (with some drinks ;)).

As I have been researching today, I found "Lounge Pass" for $20/pp. I wonder of anyone has used them before and has any input? It seems a little to good to be true since airlines charge alot more. And you know what they say about if it seems to be too good to be true... But occassionally there is an honest great deal out there.

I am also interested in the Priority Yearly Pass becasue we could use that many times in the next year but not sure if there is the membership fee plus a daily fee. That would make a huge difference. If anyone knows, let me know.

Thanks for all of the help everyone!

We're definately going with the priority or VIP airport lounges. That way we can get off the ship, get to where we have to be and then chill the day away (with some drinks ;)).

As I have been researching today, I found "Lounge Pass" for $20/pp. I wonder of anyone has used them before and has any input? It seems a little to good to be true since airlines charge alot more. And you know what they say about if it seems to be too good to be true... But occassionally there is an honest great deal out there.

I am also interested in the Priority Yearly Pass becasue we could use that many times in the next year but not sure if there is the membership fee plus a daily fee. That would make a huge difference. If anyone knows, let me know.

Lounge Pass is relatively new. It is a company out of the UK. The price is cheaper BUT you are only allowed 3 hours, NO free drinks (except soft drinks). And as I understand it, you can't use the showers without extra fees (which is one reason I have an unlimited Priority Pass-I fly to a lot of "weird" international destinations and want that shower when I have a red eye international flight.)

Quite a few of the Lounge Pass options are AIRSIDE (meaning past security). So IF you are not flying a particular airline out of the concourse the lounge is in, you may NOT get in to the lounge because you can't access the concourse.

In your case, at LGA, the Lounge Pass lounge is the Continental President's Club which is LANDSIDE (outside security). So for one time, you could use Lounge Pass for 3 hours at a cost of $40. Drinks (booze) are extra and I don't fly Continental so I have no idea what is in the lounge for food. Some of the lounges have full spreads and top shelf booze, including some good champagne (the foreign airlines primarily), some have pretty good snacks and SOME booze (AA and US) and some have cheese and crackers with MAYBE a beer or wine (Delta).

Priority Pass $99 per year membership fee and $27.00 per person billed to your credit card PER VISIT.

As I posted, I have the UNLIMITED membership ($399 per year) which allows me as many visits as I want to as many lounges as are available. IF I take a guest, it is $27.00 per visit billed to MY credit card.

I travel by myself for business about 90% of the time to some far flung destinations (I am currently in Iraq).

READ ALL THE FINE PRINT. Figure out how many times you will use Priority Pass. There is also a plan for $249 with 10 visits for the card holder AND $27.00 EACH VISIT for the guest (DH, SO or a friend-you can often find someone outside the airport lounges who wants go in and are willing to pay a premium that is less than the airline charges-I usually ask for $35 in cash and just act like they are my guest).

I think you would be VERY satisfied with the $99 yearly membership and PAYING PER VISIT. Cheaper than the airline and more lounges to access. Enjoy!!!

In your case, at LGA, the Lounge Pass lounge is the Continental President's Club which is LANDSIDE (outside security). So for one time, you could use Lounge Pass for 3 hours at a cost of $40. Drinks (booze) are extra and I don't fly Continental so I have no idea what is in the lounge for food. Some of the lounges have full spreads and top shelf booze, including some good champagne (the foreign airlines primarily), some have pretty good snacks and SOME booze (AA and US) and some have cheese and crackers with MAYBE a beer or wine (Delta).

I know nothing about Lounge Pass, but for $50 you can buy a day pass to Continental's PC Club and you won't be limited to three hours or denied booze and snacks. We are President's Club members and I can assure these lounges are very nice. Complimentary beer, wine, mixed drinks and champagne are available. They make the best bloody mary in the world. Premium liquors have a charge.

Here's a tip, go to United Airlines website and check out the info for their Red Carpet Club. You can buy a day pass online that includes admittance into the RCC as well as Continental's Presidents's Club and USAirways Club. It is only $39.

I know nothing about Lounge Pass, but for $50 you can buy a day pass to Continental's PC Club and you won't be limited to three hours or denied booze and snacks. We are President's Club members and I can assure these lounges are very nice. Complimentary beer, wine, mixed drinks and champagne are available. They make the best bloody mary in the world. Premium liquors have a charge.

Here's a tip, go to United Airlines website and check out the info for their Red Carpet Club. You can buy a day pass online that includes admittance into the RCC as well as Continental's Presidents's Club and USAirways Club. It is only $39.

I should clarify. The $39 pass is for one time only. You cannot lounge hop. Just a note, the USAir Club charges for alcohol. Soft drinks and snacks are complimentary.

I will check that out. We are flying Delta so i did check out theirs which is $50 pp. I like $39 pp. better. :) I was checking out the various lounges on the priority pass website; trying to compare them and see where I could get the most bang for the buck.

I really appreciate all of the help. This is turning out better than I imagined! This is making me rethink our lack of committment to a particular airline b/c we could of earned membership to a club by now. :o

Great information lovesublime. We are flying Continental to London in a few weeks and I am planning on buying some day passes, this $39 pass seems like a great deal.

Jonathan

I will check that out. We are flying Delta so i did check out theirs which is $50 pp. I like $39 pp. better. :) I was checking out the various lounges on the priority pass website; trying to compare them and see where I could get the most bang for the buck.

Delta flies out of D at LGA (separate building). Which ever lounge you pick via Lounge Pass, Priority Pass or buying the $39.00 pass, you will have to change terminals and go through security. Allow enough time.

I really appreciate all of the help. This is turning out better than I imagined! This is making me rethink our lack of committment to a particular airline b/c we could of earned membership to a club by now. :o

Your miles are MUCH MORE valuable for flights, particularly upgrades on long international flights, than using them to purchase an airline club membership. FF figure the "price" of a mile is $.02. So if you have to use 35,000-50,000 miles to get an airline lounge membership, you have essentially spent $700-1000 for something that usually costs $350-500. The daily passes using mileage as currency are even a worse bang for your money-$120-160 (6,000-8,000 miles).

And remember, a lot of airline clubs are AIRSIDE, so if you happen to find a bargain on a flight that is not tied to your particular airline, the chances of accessing the club you paid membership for will be slim. To access most airside clubs without a flight that day, you have to call and make arrangements in advance. Then TSA has to be notified to let you through security. TSA does not like to do these special requests, so it becomes a major hassle (had to do it twice for business meetings in the Admiral's Club at DFW).

If you are not tied to a particular airline and are not traveling to the same place over and over, you may do much better with Priority Pass.

3 days pre-cruise should be plenty. I would not plan anything for the day you need to fly home. Saw on another board you are staying at the Warwick. Its a very nice hotel between times sq and central park south. My favorite two places in NYC are near your hotel--dizzy's club at jazz at lincoln center with stunning views of columbus circle and ellen's stardust diner with singing waiters hoping to be on their way to broadway. Both are open late, but Dizzy's at sunset is unreal.

3 days pre-cruise should be plenty. I would not plan anything for the day you need to fly home. Saw on another board you are staying at the Warwick. Its a very nice hotel between times sq and central park south. My favorite two places in NYC are near your hotel--dizzy's club at jazz at lincoln center with stunning views of columbus circle and ellen's stardust diner with singing waiters hoping to be on their way to broadway. Both are open late, but Dizzy's at sunset is unreal.

I will put Dizzy's and Ellen's on our to do list. Sounds like something worth checking out! Thanks.

Do you know of any good comedy clubs?

Archived