Cold hard cash for the cruise

General questions for my prep of my cruise next week.

We have got around $50.00 or so in 1 dollar bills. Is that (IYO) too much, too little, or just right for 7 days? This is for luggage handlers (all) Travelinx driver to Port C, and room service, etc. DH said to put the ones in our luggage:eek: No way! It is going on our body hidden!

Coco cay is cash only. How much to take just for a soda, t-shirt, fridge magnet, Christmas ornament type souvenirs? What about snorkle equipment there????

Just general opinions on cash. Thanks in advance!!!!

I can only answer your tipping question. The last time we took a 7 day cruise, I took $100 in $1 and $2 bills (I preferred the $2 because they look cooler and because they take up less space!). It was the perfect amount for me for the 7 days and I used it all over that time. However, I consider myself a good tipper (after having worked in the restaurant/delivery industry). My bf also took money for tipping and used at least $50 himself. To each his own though, as I know everyone tips differently. However, between the two of you I would suggest at least $100 for tips just in case.

General questions for my prep of my cruise next week.

We have got around $50.00 or so in 1 dollar bills. Is that (IYO) too much, too little, or just right for 7 days? This is for luggage handlers (all) Travelinx driver to Port C, and room service, etc. DH said to put the ones in our luggage:eek: No way! It is going on our body hidden!

Coco cay is cash only. How much to take just for a soda, t-shirt, fridge magnet, Christmas ornament type souvenirs? What about snorkle equipment there????

Just general opinions on cash. Thanks in advance!!!!

I usually take $50 in $1's, another $200 or so in $5's and $10's, another $300 in $20's, and another 3 or 4 hundred in $50's or $100's.

You can only use cash in the craft shops on Coco Cay. Drinks are purchased with you seapass card

We believe in tipping too. That is why I am asking. I hate the ATM fees and want to avoid those at any cost that I can. We will get more cash at the ATM if we have too though. I did at Disney and just bit it. Disney was more expensive then what I anticipated and the cash flow got low.

I didnt even think of travelers checks(not for tipping but for port stops). I will go to the bank this week and get some. 95% of our trip will be CC, but it is those cash moments.

I use the envelope method. I have an envelope for each port. I have calculated approximately how much I will spend based on cab fare to where we have planned to go (RT), cost of our planned activity (whether they want cash or trav checks or will take credit card). I then add a little extra for under estimating how much things will cost. On the beach, some places will ONLY accept cash. In St. Martin the bar we went to converted Euro equal to US dollar if you paid cash... if we had used our credit card we would have spent significantly more $. At the end of the day, if there is leftover money it goes into another envelope that will be deposited when we get home (if there is anything left).

I also have an envelope for the room steward, the waiter, the assistant waiter, etc.... All pre-filled, sealed and labeled before I leave home. Yes, it is a LOT of cash, but we are SUPER careful and it never leaves our sight. NEVER put cash in your checked luggage. Read the news... there have been multiple arrests lately of TSA agents that have "relieved" passengers of electronics in their checked luggage.

As far as $2 bills, there have been numerous threads on this forum about cruise employees not really caring for $2 bills. We know that they are legal tender, but the foreign ports are not used to seeing them and think they are fake, and they have a hard time spending them and in some cases depositing them. I have not experienced this... I have just read it here numerous times. Just get a bunch of ones to be safe.

We are just the opposite and not big tippers at all

We base it on the quality of service and the friendliness of the person.

I'm not going to tip anyone who doesn't give service with a smile.

So far the service, with a few exceptions, has been above average.

We don't take a lot of cash with us

I take $50 for playing blackjack and about $300 in assorted bills but not that many 20s.

Now since that we are both unemployed we won't be taking any cruises for a while.

I carry very little 'real cash' just enought to get us thru the airport's and on the Ship. Carry TC's and cash them on Ship for whatever you may need, the ATM fees can get pricy.

On CoCo you use your Sea Pass card for everything since it is a RCCL private island. Now they may have aded some trinket shops where you would need cash, but we have never taken any with us when we went ashore there.

When it comes to tipping, I do understand the service issue. When a young man totes our room service food, he is going to get a buck or 2 from us. If a young man greets us and grabs our luggage, he will too. It is just basic courtesy. I guess if someone is a jacka**, well that is a different story but some young person trying their best, no problem.

I am feeling good about the $$$ones$$. We will do travelers checks too.

I never carry wads of small bills....larger bills are easier to transport! The ship can "break down" larger bills. You don't want to carry wads of cash...you'll look like a gas station attendant from the "old days"!

I never carry wads of small bills....larger bills are easier to transport! The ship can "break down" larger bills. You don't want to carry wads of cash...you'll look like a gas station attendant from the "old days"!

Personally, I like that look.:cool:

Archived