vacation protection, split between 4

LLew

can anyone advise how it works if you have 4 in a room and split the insurance 4 ways? i have two paying 800.00 for the cruise a third paying 500 and fourth paying 400.00. so the insurance cost ranges from 49.00 to 100.00 each. to make life easier and more fair, we are splitting everything 6 ways.

my question is, should person #4 have to cancel, for whatever reason, she is only going to get back her room cost of 400.00 when she actually paid me 650.00.

has anyone run into this before? cant imagine having to ask the rest of my friends to 'chip in' for that person when the cruise is over :(

can anyone advise how it works if you have 4 in a room and split the insurance 4 ways? i have two paying 800.00 for the cruise a third paying 500 and fourth paying 400.00. so the insurance cost ranges from 49.00 to 100.00 each. to make life easier and more fair, we are splitting everything 6 ways.

my question is, should person #4 have to cancel, for whatever reason, she is only going to get back her room cost of 400.00 when she actually paid me 650.00.

has anyone run into this before? cant imagine having to ask the rest of my friends to 'chip in' for that person when the cruise is over :(

We never 'assign' # to a name when we split cabin costs equally.... We all agree upfront that everyone pays the same. So, if 1 had to cancel... It would still be prorated among those left after the one not going received a full refund of what was paid.

Hope this made sense!

I'm confused if you have 4 in a cabin, where does 6 come into play???

i have two paying 800.00 for the cruise a third paying 500 and fourth paying 400.00. so the insurance cost ranges from 49.00 to 100.00 each. to make life easier and more fair, we are splitting everything 6 ways.

Why are you splitting things six ways, when you have four people? The way you should have done this was add up the total room cost and divide by four and have everyone pay 1/4 of the cost. That would have been easier and fair. And how could cruiser #4 get $650 back when she paid you only $400? Your post is quite confusing.

P.S. Take your email address out of your profile or you will be very sorry!

Why are you splitting things six ways, when you have four people? The way you should have done this was add up the total room cost and divide by four and have everyone pay 1/4 of the cost. That would have been easier and fair. And how could cruiser #4 get $650 back when she paid you only $400? Your post is quite confusing.

I think the "6" was a typo and was supposed to be "4".

The procedure you laid out would work fine with most third-party insurers. But I think the OP is dealing with the cruise line's insurance which won't let you do that -- each person's premium is tied directly to that person's fare amount as shown on the booking. Even though that person may in fact be paying $650 into the communal pot, as far as the cruise line insurance is concerned he/she can only be refunded the fare as shown on the booking. In that case, the remaining three passengers would have to make up the difference between the $400 coming from the insurance and the $650 actually paid in.

As far as I know, there's no way of getting around this if using the cruise line insurance. The solution is to check into third-party coverage.

Thank for for the explanation; this sounds like a big potential problem. I've never booked insurance through the cruiseline, only through a third party, and sounds as if OP should have also gone that way.

sorry, yes that was confusing. but i think you answered my question. 6 of us going. 2 in one room and 4 in the second room. split the entire trip incl vacation protection between 6. guess we will have to cross our fingers that no one needs to back out!

The bottom line, if you split the cost six ways, then it would also make sense to share the penalty if one person needs to cancel. If the person who cancels is in the quad cabin, then insurance will pay only 1/2 fare. So that person wouldn't get all the money back from insurance, even though they paid 1/6 total. However, that would mean that the remaining cost/person for the other 5 cruisers has increased, so they should each share 1/6 of the penalty.

If the person who cancels is in the double cabin, then you probably have the same situation because you would want to move one person from the quad into the double. Then insurance would still pay 1/2 fare

Rarely,

The OP has no problem splitting the cost of the trip or the insurance. That's easy, it's 1/6 of the total cost for the trip, and 1/6 the total cost for insurance.

The problem is that if someone cancels, the insurance will *not* pay 1/6 the total cost, they will pay less. That's where the remaining passengers will need to "chip in" so that the person who cancels doesn't get shorted.

Archived