Dress Code Comments

So its like giving the illusion you care about those less fortunate , but not really having to do anything about it and still looking fashionable while doing it.

I bet these pants were designed by Democrats :)

Or they're designed by Republicans who really don't care about anyone but themselves, ya think??

Those of you who follow dress code threads may have seen this before but as the first sentence says: irresistable!!!

Ah, dress code threads: irresistable!

Just my opinion but here goes. It's not a matter of rules; it's not a matter of guidelines; it's not a matter of enforcement. Actually it's a matter of manners!

Good manners dictate that one dresses as one's host requests. It's as simple as that. Certainly it's your cruise. Certainly the guideline is not enforced. Certainly it won't ruin my cruise if you dress as you wish. None of that changes the fact that to dress in a manner different from your host's request is rude and demonstrates one's selfish attitude toward one's host (and one's fellow travelers I might add). Unfortunately, rude behavior is rampant in today's society but I will always hope that things will change. Am I naive? Absolutely. Bon Voyage to all!

We saw the whole spectrum of dressing up on formal night back in January (it was our first cruise). Husband and the kids all wore suits, which was actually handy because my brother's wedding was the month prior so all the fellas had new suits that fit well. I wore a black silk taffeta dress that I had worn to a wedding a few years ago. We all looked pretty spiffy. I think overall we looked slightly above average in our level of dressiness for the night when compared to everyone else.

I figure that I have other things to be concerned about (ie making sure the kids have exemplary table manners, that they are eating, and nobody is getting seasick), and being concerned about what other people (my kids and husband aside) might be wearing is a pretty low priority for me. We don't dress up often, so it was kind of fun. The kids have already requested that we participate in formal night in the MDR again. They loved it!

I don't care unless you are applying for a job at my company. Remember the OP that started this post stated they didn't care either but started the discussion anyway. However, I'm still trying to understand why someone would buy $$$ clothes that are intentionally torn or appear to be worn out.:confused: Seems to me the holey clothes thing is a trendy fashion image.

Strange to me i guess it could be an age thing.When i wore holey shoes as a child it was the best i could do at the time.Had to wait till dad had money to buy me another pair.What ever floats your boat,as long as they are happy.Thank god that was a long time ago.My next cruise on the Explorer 1/16/2012,i will be wearing my tuxedo on formal night.Could care less what people think.

Let,s all go to the Caribbean.:):):)

Or they're designed by Republicans who really don't care about anyone but themselves, ya think??

Anything is possible :)

I don't care what side of the aisle they are on. Everytime you see our heads of state and lawmakers on TV they are always nattily dressed in a suit and tie or business outfit for the ladies . And they steal more than a guy in ripped jeans and a ski mask can ever haul away

We saw the whole spectrum of dressing up on formal night back in January (it was our first cruise). Husband and the kids all wore suits, which was actually handy because my brother's wedding was the month prior so all the fellas had new suits that fit well. I wore a black silk taffeta dress that I had worn to a wedding a few years ago. We all looked pretty spiffy. I think overall we looked slightly above average in our level of dressiness for the night when compared to everyone else.

We were in our wedding clothes too (not formal but we looked really good) and we were a bit below average in the MDR. On our cruise about 2/3 of the passengers were NOT Americans. Maybe that made a difference?

Those of you who follow dress code threads may have seen this before but as the first sentence says: irresistable!!!

Just my opinion but here goes. It's not a matter of rules; it's not a matter of guidelines; it's not a matter of enforcement. Actually it's a matter of manners!

Good manners dictate that one dresses as one's host requests. It's as simple as that. Certainly it's your cruise. Certainly the guideline is not enforced. Certainly it won't ruin my cruise if you dress as you wish. None of that changes the fact that to dress in a manner different from your host's request is rude and demonstrates one's selfish attitude toward one's host (and one's fellow travelers I might add). Unfortunately, rude behavior is rampant in today's society but I will always hope that things will change. Am I naive? Absolutely. Bon Voyage to all!

Well said. :)

Dress code discussions are irresistable because opinions vary just like the clothing choices in the MDR. I respect your opinion but in my opinion, it has nothing to do with manners.

T

Good manners dictate that one dresses as one's host requests. It's as simple as that. Certainly it's your cruise. ll!

Really? Royal Caribbean is my HOST on a cruise? Did they invite me to a party to which I should adhere to their wishes? Or am I paying thousands of dollars for a product which I should be able to use the way I see fit?

There are some restaurants and hotels in NYC (and other places too but I am familiar with NYC) with STRICT dress codes. You will not be allowed to enter if you are not dressed to their dress code standards. That's fine-I don't go there. Royal Caribbean knows that many customers would be lost if they adhered strictly to a dress code policy. It isn't what most people want. In my opinion, anyone who is that concerned about what OTHER people are wearing should stick to cruise lines like HAL or others who are more traditional. I also think RCCL should offer to designate one level of the dining room to those who wish to adhere strictly to the dress code, so that their dining experience doesn't have to ruined by someone who dares enter without a tux or evening gown.

I look at it like George W Bush did when he required suites and ties in the Oval Office. He told people "You will show respect for the traditions and the office of President Of The United States."

I happen to think people should show respect for the traditions of the Main Dining Room.

As great as the MDR is, it in no way compares to the Office of the President of the United States. Wrong analogy, wrong thread, wrong website.

Dress code discussions are irresistable because opinions vary just like the clothing choices in the MDR. I respect your opinion but in my opinion, it has nothing to do with manners.[/quote]

Really?

Manners–noun

1. a way of doing, being done, or happening; mode of action, occurrence, etc.

2. manners, a.the prevailing customs, ways of living, and habits of a people, class, period, etc;

b. ways of behaving with reference to polite standards; social comportment: a person's outward bearing;

Really? Royal Caribbean is my HOST on a cruise? Did they invite me to a party to which I should adhere to their wishes? Or am I paying thousands of dollars for a product which I should be able to use the way I see fit?

There are some restaurants and hotels in NYC (and other places too but I am familiar with NYC) with STRICT dress codes. You will not be allowed to enter if you are not dressed to their dress code standards. That's fine-I don't go there. Royal Caribbean knows that many customers would be lost if they adhered strictly to a dress code policy. It isn't what most people want. In my opinion, anyone who is that concerned about what OTHER people are wearing should stick to cruise lines like HAL or others who are more traditional. I also think RCCL should offer to designate one level of the dining room to those who wish to adhere strictly to the dress code, so that their dining experience doesn't have to ruined by someone who dares enter without a tux or evening gown.

Well said!

I have read many of these dress code threads. I don't get the feeling that people object to those that are not dressing formally so much as objecting to those that seem to be making a deliberate effort to look out of place. I'm not sure anyone would even notice someone wearing khakis and a polo shirt on formal night. I think those that choose to wear shorts and flip flops on formal night are making a statement.

That may well be....

In my opinion though, Royal Car. needs to either enforce a dress code and risk losing business, or come up with a solution that doesn't pi$$ off so many people. The dining rooms are usually 3 levels (at least) Why not have one level be strictly formal--suits/ties or tuxes for men and dresses/gowns for women, one level for the casual neat, and one level for shorts and flip flops. I think it would be pretty easy for them then to track what their clientele really wants.

Royal Caribbean is the host in the dining room. They are the ones who set the dress code for the evening, not the passengers. So according to you since you paid money for the cruise you should be able to wear holey jeans, t-shirt and flip flops on formal night (as an example)? As someone else mentioned I doubt anyone cares if someone is dressed nicely on formal nights and not in a tux or gown.

Personally anyone who deliberately thumbs their nose at the dress code suggestion is rude and lacks manners. However that is between you (collective you) and dining room management to work out.

Personally if the cruise line isn't going to enforce their dress code, then don't have one. Follow NCL with their dress up or not night or have all evenings smart casual and enforce the prohibited clothing items (eg. holey jeans, t shirts, etc, at dinner). Having a code and not enforcing it is a waste of ink on the dailies.

I would never dress poorly in the dining room. Not ever. I also don't do formal. However, if someone comes in wearing shorts and flip flops it doesn't in any way, shape, or form influence or affect my enjoyment of my dinner. I find that so laughable that people let other people's attire get them so rattled. I think it's in poor taste to dress shabbily in the MDR but if it's merely a "suggested" dress code, not enforced, then it's the person's right to dress how they please. IMO RCCL should have a dress code and ENFORCE it, or just give up.

I have read many of these dress code threads. I don't get the feeling that people object to those that are not dressing formally so much as objecting to those that seem to be making a deliberate effort to look out of place. I'm not sure anyone would even notice someone wearing khakis and a polo shirt on formal night. I think those that choose to wear shorts and flip flops on formal night are making a statement.

Agree and it's amusing at the attempts here to rationalize it. Everyone cares how they look to others. To say otherwise would mean they never look in the mirror on the way out the stateroom door.

Off to press my dress jeans and dress tank top. Please excuse my armpit hair as I reach across the table.

Agree and it's amusing at the attempts here to rationalize it. Everyone cares how they look to others. To say otherwise would mean they never look in the mirror on the way out the stateroom door.

Last time I looked in the mirror on the way out the stateroom door, I crashed into the door, bending the brim of my favorite MDR hat.

Just a few points.

Yes, RCCL is your host. (look it up)

You state "It isn't what most people want." You have no idea what most people want, just what YOU want.

RCCL has already designated an area for those who wish to adhere strictly to the dress code. It's called the main dining room!

I stand by my original statement that ignoring one's host's wishes is bad manners but you will obviously do whatever you see fit. Bon Voyage!

Just a few points.

Yes, RCCL is your host. (look it up)

You state "It isn't what most people want." You have no idea what most people want, just what YOU want.

RCCL has already designated an area for those who wish to adhere strictly to the dress code. It's called the main dining room!

I stand by my original statement that ignoring one's host's wishes is bad manners but you will obviously do whatever you see fit. Bon Voyage!

Wow, hostile much?

If most people wanted a strict dress code, RCCL would have one. It would be good business practice for them. I have been on enough of their cruises to know that some dress formal but most do not.

RCCL has not designated the main dining room to be for those who strictly adhere to the dress code "suggestion". They do not enforce it or even require it, they "suggest" it. So, if there are some who don't want to be around other people who don't dress formally, I suggested that RCCL designate a floor of the dining room so that those people can enjoy their formal experience. I'm trying to be accepting of those who enjoy the formal experience--why can't you be accepting of those who do not, but still wish to enjoy the dining room?

I always wear a casual skirt and nice top. My husband wears long pants always, with a collared polo shirt. We are not slobs by any stretch of the imagination. We simply don't choose to drag formalwear along on vacation. I find it quite amusing that people give so much thought to what other people wear, and let it have the power to bother them.

Can no longer tell the difference between RCCL MDR photos and "People of WalMart" photos. Most 30 somethings that wore designer jeans musta thought they were 35 lbs lighter when they bought them >Don't sail RCCL for formal nights.Don't worry about what you pack any thing goes.

Has anyone noticed how the Grub has headed south along with the quality of dress?

Wow, hostile much?

If most people wanted a strict dress code, RCCL would have one. It would be good business practice for them. I have been on enough of their cruises to know that some dress formal but most do not.

RCCL has not designated the main dining room to be for those who strictly adhere to the dress code "suggestion". They do not enforce it or even require it, they "suggest" it. So, if there are some who don't want to be around other people who don't dress formally, I suggested that RCCL designate a floor of the dining room so that those people can enjoy their formal experience. I'm trying to be accepting of those who enjoy the formal experience--why can't you be accepting of those who do not, but still wish to enjoy the dining room?

I always wear a casual skirt and nice top. My husband wears long pants always, with a collared polo shirt. We are not slobs by any stretch of the imagination. We simply don't choose to drag formalwear along on vacation. I find it quite amusing that people give so much thought to what other people wear, and let it have the power to bother them.

There was no hostility expressed or intended. When you engage in spirited debate, prepare to be challenged.

I cannot be accepting of those who choose to ignore their host's wishes. It's not in my makeup. As I said previously, it won't ruin my cruise if someone chooses not adhere to their host's wishes. My only aim is to point out that it is a matter of manners or lack thereof. Nothing more. And, of course, that is only my opinion. And I'm sticking with it!

There was no hostility expressed or intended. When you engage in spirited debate, prepare to be challenged.

I cannot be accepting of those who choose to ignore their host's wishes. It's not in my makeup. As I said previously, it won't ruin my cruise if someone chooses not adhere to their host's wishes. My only aim is to point out that it is a matter of manners or lack thereof. Nothing more. And, of course, that is only my opinion. And I'm sticking with it!

If it's RCCL's wishes, then why don't they make it mandatory? It' s like their tipping policy. They tell you what the "suggested" tip is, but it is left up to the customer to make their own decision. I see this as no different.

If it's RCCL's wishes, then why don't they make it mandatory? It' s like their tipping policy. They tell you what the "suggested" tip is, but it is left up to the customer to make their own decision. I see this as no different.

You are right.

The tipping has also gone down eith the dress.

Afterall who tips at Walmart????

Archived