Dress Code Comments

I'm a total newb and am not going on my first cruise until December, but as I'm planning for it, one of the things I am looking forward to most is dressing up for dinner. I don't get a lot of opportunity to dress up these days, so I'm going to enjoy it! However, how other people choose to dress for dinner is on them--I don't think it will affect my experience. I hope not, anyways! I guess I won't know until formal night! :)

You go to the theater . You pay $125 and up a ticket . You sit in your seat. They turn all the lights off and the show starts straight ahead of you .

What do you care what someone is wearing 15 rows away from you in the dark?

This will be my 3rd cruise and I've only sailed RC and I really enjoy formal nights. I'll be dressing up as I don't often get the chance to wear really formal clothes and I really love how I feel in them. If other people don't want to bother then that's up to them.

Society as a whole has become very "relaxed" and in my opinion too much so and not a good thing. When it says FORMAL, we dress accordingly. I wear a long dress and my DH a tux. If a person doesn't want to dress the same, then at least please please don't wear shorts, t-shirts, flip flops and ball caps! Which I have seen.:eek:

We are taking our 2 nephews 14 & 17 on their first cruise in March, the youngest dislikes dressing up but he said he wanted to experience wearing a tux and seeing how it felt. I will take them both to rent tux prior to the cruise and let them decide what style they want. I have said no baby blue tux's :D I can't wait to see how handsome they will look. I am a believer in lead by example and hopefully they will enjoy the total experience.

To us it just adds to the total package of cruising plus I love how my DH looks in his Tux;)

I'll bet they'll like dressing up when they find out that they'll get lots of attention from the young ladies on board.

However, if you show up in shorts/t-shirt/flipflops for dinner in the MDR, even on casual night, I'm likely to conclude that you (1) never learned any manners, (2) have never traveled further than the nearest Wal-Mart, or (3) are just too arrogant to give a damn. And if you try to convince me otherwise, I probably won't believe you.

It's no coincidence that kids do better in school when they have to be groomed/presented to a certain standard. Why this would surprise anyone is a mystery to me.

The question is often asked - why should what someone else wears - affect your vacation?

All I can say is - when I see shorts, flip flops and ball cap (especially backwards) all I can think is - their poor mama never taught them manners. Right or wrong - that is what I am thinking.

So, I always read, with great interest, dress code threads about Royal on cruise critics. Today I was researching dress code for Broadway shows, (taking DW to see Wicked and Phantom for our 33rd anniversary in August). I found it very interesting that the comments are almost identical to those found on cruise critics. People who want to dress to the nines and want their standard enforced on others, people who want to be extremely casual (shorts and flip flops), people who miss the good old days when everyone dressed up, people (like me) who don't care what anyone wears and don't understand why anyone cares what they wear. I researched because if there are "rules" I will follow them but if it there are just guidelines and peoples opinions I'll wear whatever I want. So its shorts and flip flops, for Broadway, for me. The point of my post is this, when we debate the "dress code" on Royal, we really are debating the dress code of society as a whole and, agree or not, it appears that the majority want things more casual. The times they are a changing and probably will continue to change.

Wait, you don't care but start a thread on dress codes?:rolleyes::confused::rolleyes:

Just because you wear a suit,tux, gown or whatever. Doesnt mean you have good manners. I can tell by some of these posts! I hate guys in backwards hats!!! But I dont think any less of them. Threads like these make me remember how many snobs are on this forum. Havent seen Wicked but I have seen Phantom 5 times in Vegas! That theater is amazing!! I wore jeans with holes in them. Ill bet a few people just passed out!! LOL!!! As you can tell its not how you dress its how you carry yourself. Im surprised the class card hasnt been played yet. Its all about comfort for me and a suit isnt comfortable! For me anyway. Just my nickle. (due to inflation)

Wait, you don't care but start a thread on dress codes?:rolleyes::confused::rolleyes:

Yep don't care one bit what anyone wears, anywhere, believe me I wouldn't care if the people sitting at my table on a cruise were in tank tops, shorts, and flip flops with a backward ball cap, but I sure do love reading people's opinions. I only posted because it struck me that the comments from people about Broadway show "dress codes" were identical to those I read here on CC.

I'm one of those old fashioned people who were taught to wear a coat and tie to church, nice restaurants, shows, etc. Things have changed though. In the past 20 years, my local dinner theatre has gone from about 50%+ coat and tie to maybe 10%. I have recently started wearing business casual to the dinner theatre and am even considering dressing informal (just coat and tie) to formal nights on cruises. It's nice to abide by the recommended dress code, but when general practice differs so much from the set guidelines, it's tough to justify continued adherence.

Rich

Just because you wear a suit,tux, gown or whatever. Doesnt mean you have good manners. I can tell by some of these posts! I hate guys in backwards hats!!! But I dont think any less of them. Threads like these make me remember how many snobs are on this forum. Havent seen Wicked but I have seen Phantom 5 times in Vegas! That theater is amazing!! I wore jeans with holes in them. Ill bet a few people just passed out!! LOL!!! As you can tell its not how you dress its how you carry yourself. Im surprised the class card hasnt been played yet. Its all about comfort for me and a suit isnt comfortable! For me anyway. Just my nickle. (due to inflation)

I'm sorry to hear that you have to wear clothes with holes in them. I typically throw out my clothes when that happens.:eek:

I'm sorry to hear that you have to wear clothes with holes in them. I typically throw out my clothes when that happens.:eek:

Not me Silverman. I love my holey jeans, most comfortable pair of pants I own. Unfortunately I can't wear them to work on casual days anymore cause of where the holes are. :) Silverman your post about wearing them to the theater did remind me of wearing mine to see Phantom in Dayton. I'm sure people were aghast and wondered how that sloppy guy had all those really dressed up women with him :)

Wear what you want, but if you stick out like a sore thumb don't be surprised or offended by others taking notice --- simply human nature.

Never get offended by others taking notice. I don't think sticking out will or has bothered me because I don't really notice, I'm too busy paying attention to who I'm with and what's going on. My human nature must be broken.

Never get offended by others taking notice. I don't think sticking out will or has bothered me because I don't really notice, I'm too busy paying attention to who I'm with and what's going on. My human nature must be broken.

I guess I am broken with you *LOL*

I would never show up someplace nice in ratty dirty sweaty clothes unshaved or unshowered .

But I am not going to kill myself worrying about who is looking at me because I am wearing a sport jacket or just a dress shirt and pants , and others are wearing a suit.

Life is too short

Wear what you want, but if you stick out like a sore thumb don't be surprised or offended by others taking notice --- simply human nature.

Maybe your human nature , but not everyones.

I agree I will notice something really glaring like a filthy smelly pig in dirty clothes (IMO no matter how you dress there is never an excuse to be dirty), but that is more cause the smell of them would bother me more than the sight of them. Keep your BO away from me and I won't care what you are wearing *LOL*

But getting all bent out of shape because who has a tie and who doesn't or who is wearing jeans and who has khakis. I could care less

I agree...I honestly don't think I've truly noticed what other people are wearing in the MDR, other than when I see a couple dressed to the nines...in my opinion they stick out more nowadays, but in a good way. I personally love getting dressed up and absolutely love wearing heels, however I'm definitely wearing more "cocktail" wear than formal...I just don't have a need for true formal wear in real life, so I'm not going to purchase it for a vacation. I dress for my husband (who probably doesn't notice what I'm wearing anyway :rolleyes:) and for myself....sometimes he wears jeans :eek: to the MDR, but with a nice button down shirt-I feel he looks very handsome.

I agree that it is somewhat human nature to judge someone based on clothing, but I've learned in my life (my career more specifically) that sometimes that person that looks so raggedy may have more money than most and could be a heck of a lot smarter than I am, so I go by the old saying "don't judge a book by it's cover" Go to dinner, enjoy the people you are with and by golly, you just might get to know someone beyond the clothes they're wearing :p

The funny thing is I bought those jeans with the holes in them. Paid a lot of money for them too. The best denim I have ever worn! Got them from Armani Exchange in Vegas. But I did have a nice dress shirt and dress shoes on. Never felt out of place either. People were in shorts, t shirts and ball caps. Some where dressed to the nines!! But never turn your nose up to me just because I choose to dress the way I do. Im probably a better person than you are just because I dont judge who you are or what your wearing. The times are changing!!

this is an interesting thread! Here's my thought for what it's worth. I agree that society as a whole is becoming more casual. It is becoming more and more difficult to pack "formal" attire because of airline restrictions. However, i think perhaps the guidelines continue to be in effect because one is more apt to remember to act appropriately when dressed appropriately. (does anyone remember the old cartoon that was sometimes shown on bugs bunny when a man was placed in different hats and then behaved as such?) i know that this is not always the case, but it does help to set a tone.

Having said that, i wouldn't care at all if the group sitting in close proximity to us were all wearing flipflops, shorts, and tank tops, as long as they were quietly respectful of others around them. Likewise, if i were seated next to a group dressed in tuxedo's and gowns, and they were loud, obnoxious and rude, that would be problematic.

I personally, try to follow the guidelines as i feel most comfortable that way (i pack creatively), but the clothing of others isn't what will make me judge my surrounding diners!

Enjoy your cruise, theatre, dinner, etc., but remember your manners!

good manners are never under or over dressed and are never out of style.

well said ! ! !

Hey Struther1, you sound like you'll fit right in with our group :p come on over and join the roll call for your Serenade cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1191994

The Maniacs Live :eek:

Ernie

Hey Struther1, you sound like you'll fit right in with our group :p come on over and join the roll call for your Serenade cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1191994

The Maniacs Live :eek:

Ernie

Ernie not sure I fit in any group but I joined the roll call for Serenade on 1-14.

The funny thing is I bought those jeans with the holes in them. Paid a lot of money for them too. The best denim I have ever worn! Got them from Armani Exchange in Vegas. But I did have a nice dress shirt and dress shoes on. Never felt out of place either. People were in shorts, t shirts and ball caps. Some where dressed to the nines!! But never turn your nose up to me just because I choose to dress the way I do. Im probably a better person than you are just because I dont judge who you are or what your wearing. The times are changing!!

Perhaps you can help me become educated, more tolerant, and a better person if someone could explain to me why the trend to buy clothes with holes in them. :confused: We all see the ads for jeans with half the fabric worn away. I find it amusing.

Perhaps you can help me become educated, more tolerant, and a better person if someone could explain to me why the trend to buy clothes with holes in them. :confused: We all see the ads for jeans with half the fabric worn away. I find it amusing.

Marketing genius.

Archived