Dress Code Comments

Last time I looked in the mirror on the way out the stateroom door, I crashed into the door, bending the brim of my favorite MDR hat.

That's because you had it on the wrong way. The brim goes to the back.:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by traveling1969 viewpost.gif

Those of you who follow dress code threads may have seen this before but as the first sentence says: irresistable!!!

Ah, dress code threads: irresistable!

Just my opinion but here goes. It's not a matter of rules; it's not a matter of guidelines; it's not a matter of enforcement. Actually it's a matter of manners!

Good manners dictate that one dresses as one's host requests. It's as simple as that. Certainly it's your cruise. Certainly the guideline is not enforced. Certainly it won't ruin my cruise if you dress as you wish. None of that changes the fact that to dress in a manner different from your host's request is rude and demonstrates one's selfish attitude toward one's host (and one's fellow travelers I might add). Unfortunately, rude behavior is rampant in today's society but I will always hope that things will change. Am I naive? Absolutely. Bon Voyage to all!

Yes I agree with you and you'll get burned to a crisp on this board for your comment though! LOL

Like whether to cover our mouths when we cough or sneeze and whether we will say thank you and please or to let the elderly and small children exit the lift first or even wait in line etc... all choices in a civil society. One either has class and manners or not.

If the host had invited me onto 'his' ship and requested (suggested) a style of clothing, I would kindly adhere to the request.

Afterall, the host, typically, pays for the affair, right?

However, I invited myself on the cruise and I paid for my cruise with my money.

Formal attire, IMHO, is a matter of personal preference, when one pays for their own vacation. However, I do hope the gentlemen remove their hats and caps and consider that dress in any venue, after the time of 6P, naturally lends itself to dress, sans shorts and t-shirts (unless one is in Bermuda, of course:rolleyes:).

Lots of folks want a family portrait - formal night is a good reason to dress up and get that picture.

flame away :D

It's interesting that the "host" (Royal Caribbean) magically changes their suggested attire for the chartered Adult lifestyle/CLOTHING OPTIONAL cruise such as the one mentioned on another thread here. When the $$$ are present for enough people to want to go naked at the pool and have sex in playrooms, the rules are changed by the "host". Oh but wait...are you going to tell me that they still have the same "suggested" attire in the MDR during this cruise? :D:D (I know they require clothing in the dining room even on these nudist cruises) That would, of course, be the polite thing to do...don't dare wear shorts in the MDR on a nudie cruise!!! :D

So its like giving the illusion you care about those less fortunate , but not really having to do anything about it and still looking fashionable while doing it.

I bet these pants were designed by Democrats :)

I've been designing jeans with the holes in them as long as I have been wearing jeans. If I had only saved all the holy jeans I've thrown out over the years, I could sell them and take a nice cruise!

If the host had invited me onto 'his' ship and requested (suggested) a style of clothing' date=' I would kindly adhere to the request.

Afterall, the host, typically, pays for the affair, right?

However, I invited myself on the cruise and I paid for my cruise with my money.

Formal attire, IMHO, is a matter of personal preference, when one pays for their own vacation. [i']However[/i], I do hope the gentlemen remove their hats and caps and consider that dress in any venue, after the time of 6P, naturally lends itself to dress, sans shorts and t-shirts (unless one is in Bermuda, of course:rolleyes:).

Lots of folks want a family portrait - formal night is a good reason to dress up and get that picture.

flame away :D

Just a few definitions for "host" found online:

2. A person who manages an inn or hotel.

3. a person, place,company, or the like, that provides services, resources, etc., as for a convention or sporting event: Our city would like to serve as host for the next Winter Olympics.

4. the landlord of an inn.

So it is not "typical" that the host pays for the affair. Nor is it unusual for a host to request a specific mode of dress.

Others ask why RCCL doesn't make it mandatory or enforce it rigorously. It's mannerly to make one's wishes known, not to order or demand; just as it is mannerly to respect one's host wishes, not to do as one pleases.

Yes, formal attire IS a matter of preference and if you prefer not to dress accordingly, then by all means take advantage of one of the other dining venues offered by your "host". It's the mannerly thing to do.

You left out definition number 1 which is always the most commonly used definition. Here's from dictionary.com:

a person who receives or entertains guests at home or elsewhere: the host at a theater party.

2. a master of ceremonies, moderator, or interviewer for a television or radio program.

3. a person, place, company, or the like, that provides services, resources, etc., as for a convention or sporting event: Our city would like to serve as host for the next Winter olympics

I would suggest that it IS typical for the host to be paying for feeding and entertaining their guest.

Many, many restaurants and hotels have mandatory dress codes. RCCL doesn't even "request" formal attire. It's "suggested", meaning it is up to the guest to decide. It's really silly to split hairs this way. I don't care for the Windjammer experience and am paying for my trip, so I will eat in the MDR just like everyone else. Why can't everyone just let everyone else enjoy their vacation the way they want to? Life's too short to get upset over someone else's clothing at dinner.

As great as the MDR is, it in no way compares to the Office of the President of the United States. Wrong analogy, wrong thread, wrong website.

I think you missed my point.

It has absolutely nothing to do with comapring the MDR to the Oval Office. It's about what Tevye sings in Fiddler On The Roof

TRADEEEEEEEEESHUN!

I happen to be a believer in tradition.

While on my honeymoon cruise, many many moons ago, I got a little sunburn the day of formal night. I bypassed putting on a tie, because it irritated my neck. I was promptly stopped at the entrance of the dining room and asked if I had a tie to put on. I said "No, my neck is burned so I left it in my cabin." The guy reaches into a drawer and pulls out a tie that already had a 3 course dinner spilled on it and says "Here's one you can use." I thanked him for his generosity, but declined his offer, then went back to my cabin and got my own tie. During dinner the Matre d' stopped by our table and apologized for me being inconvenienced, but explained that the dress code was traditional and had to be followed. I assured him that I understood and was in no way offended. I really think that if people were informed ahead of time that a particular dress code will be enforced, most would comply. As long as the service was above the rest.

I look at it this way. Carnival is the most "come as you are" of all the major cruise lines out there, yet they seem to have the most problems filling ships. Just look at all the fire sale websites and you will see more Carnival offers than any other out there. So I really don't think a dress code would cause a mass exodus from one line to another. NCL did a great job of marketing when they rolled out their "Freestyle" program. and

RCCL felt the need to follow along, somewhat. My opinion is that RCCL would still be filling ships if they enforced a dining room dress code, because they do have the better service.

You left out definition number 1 which is always the most commonly used definition. Here's from dictionary.com:

a person who receives or entertains guests at home or elsewhere: the host at a theater party.

2. a master of ceremonies, moderator, or interviewer for a television or radio program.

3. a person, place, company, or the like, that provides services, resources, etc., as for a convention or sporting event: Our city would like to serve as host for the next Winter olympics

I would suggest that it IS typical for the host to be paying for feeding and entertaining their guest.

Many, many restaurants and hotels have mandatory dress codes. RCCL doesn't even "request" formal attire. It's "suggested", meaning it is up to the guest to decide. It's really silly to split hairs this way. I don't care for the Windjammer experience and am paying for my trip, so I will eat in the MDR just like everyone else. Why can't everyone just let everyone else enjoy their vacation the way they want to? Life's too short to get upset over someone else's clothing at dinner.

You are correct; I left out many alternate definitions including those that refer to the host-parasite relationship. It was not meant to be all-inclusive, just illustrative.

Also, I don't really care what everyone else does on their vacation and I never get "upset" over someone else's clothing. If you reread my posts you will find that my intention is to define the issue which, in my opinion is one of basic manners. Do what you wish. I will as well. I will respect my host's wishes. It's how I was brought up. I always ask myself "What would my mother do?". I know she would do the same. Bon Voyage to all!

On our cruise about 2/3 of the passengers were NOT Americans. Maybe that made a difference?

Our cruise seemed to be an East Coast/Brazilian/Chilean cruise. With the exception of our table mates (a family from Chicago), EVERYONE I met was either from Boston, New Jersey, DC, Brazil or Chile. Our friends who booked with us were from DC. There were also plenty of Filipino pax, but most of them that I met lived on the East Coast. We also had the joy of several Quincenera (sp?) and some Brazilian sweet 16 groups. Those kids dressed like they were going to prom, and were for the most part fairly well-behaved. It seemed like our cruise was about 50% Americans, 50% non-Americans and about 80% first-timers. That may be an exaggeration, but there were so many people walking around acting way too clueless.

Well said!

Archived