Include Lindos on 1st trip to Rhodes?

LMO

My DH and I were wondering whether or not we should include a visit to Lindos on our first trip to Rhodes or should we just include the city? Also, would you recommend a private or ship's tour for Lindos? Thank you ahead of time for your expertise!

I think the answer greatly depends on your interest in history and ruins, as the main attraction in Lindos is the Acropolis there. I certainly would include it. I had planned to sail there last summer with my son but had to cancel that cruise; however, I'm visiting Rhodes in October. (That ship stops in both Lindos AND at Rhodes harbor :))

However, my son was less enthused, so my plan was to go on my own in the morning (ship's tour seemed easiest though there is a bus), return to the ship at noon, pick him up, and go into Rhodes city.

If you're not that interested in history, I'd give it a miss.

We have not been to Rhodes on a cruise but have visited on a land trip. We took the local bus to Rhodes. As I recall, they left each hour and it did not take long to get to Lindos. Not much need to take a ship tour.

We only stayed in the old town, and felt that there's enough for us to do in a day. Don't miss the Palace of the Grand Masters!

If you have a long day in Rhodes and you are energetic, then you will be able to include Lindos. I remember that there were a lot of taxi drivers at the port offering tours to Lindos.

Lindos is probably my favorite place to see on any Greek island. The old city can be done pretty quick and the acropolis and beach at Lindos, well just spectacular I am assuming since you are cruising Greece the history is of at least a modicum of interest to you.

Lindos should not be missed as along with the old walled inner City of Rhodes they are what one goes to Rhodes for . The war time thriller film THE GUNS OF NAVARONE was filmed in the old inner city of Rhodes and also at night within the Acropolis down at Lindos. Get the DVD from your hire store before you visit Rhodes .

I highly recommend that you go to Lindos in the morning for a couple of hours, and spend the remaining time in the Old Town, which is walking distance from the port.

It takes about an hour to get to Lindos by car, and approx. 1 1/2 hrs. by bus.

My DH and I were wondering whether or not we should include a visit to Lindos on our first trip to Rhodes or should we just include the city? Also, would you recommend a private or ship's tour for Lindos? Thank you ahead of time for your expertise!

We recently returned from our Greek Isles cruise, which included a port day in Rhodes. We did an independent tour so we could utilize the most of our time. We loved Rhodes, it is beautiful.

Our half day private tour, included the highlights of Rhodes Medieval-town (World Heritage Site). The New-town, the Acropolis of Rhodes, and the Acropolis of Lindos 50km (35mi) from Rhodes town.

We had a wonderful lunch at a restaurant overlooking a fairly secluded beach.

I hope to return someday for a longer stay. Our driver told us that many Europeans vacation on Rhodes. Apparently there are inexpensive flight/lodging/meals packages from London to Rhodes. He said 90% of Rhodes tourism is from European visitors and 10% from cruise ships.

I would highly recommend a trip to Lindos as part of your day in Rhodes. You can do it quite easily with a private tour. We used Rhodes Private Tours, and they were excellent. http://www.rhodesprivatetours.com/index.htm

Enjoy your time in Rhodes!

Archived