true or false?? do cruise co offer deals at ports to psgrs to board ship

cc waddles

Has anyone heard of this.....If the cruise isn't filled to capacity will the cruise company offer a day or 2 pass to board the ship at a port and take advantage of all the amenities of the ship for a nominal charge??

Had a friend take a cruise a couple years ago and noticed this happened.

any thoughts on this?

No. Maybe once upopn a time but no more. Almost all ships are fully booked these days. They keep marking down prices and upselling and upgrading until they fill the ship.

What your friend might have observed was TA's or Media types who had 'introductory' stay on the ship. I doubt the cruise lines are even doing those anymore. Years ago, they would invite their best booking TA's to sail a day or two in order to get to know the ships they hoped they would go back and sell to their clients. That is a rare things these days.

Hi,

two years ago when I boarded the Jewel OTS, I went to the MDR to see where my assigned table was located. When I was there I noticed about three or four tables with guests and some ship's officers dining. I do not know who these people were but they were there and I noticed them leaving the ship before the ship departed.

So there might be some special groups of people that have access to the ship but not the 'every day regular' person.

Wes

Princess offers this at some US embarkation ports. Guests pay $35 (or so) , have lunch, tour the ship , get off before sailing. $$ can be credited towards a future Princess booking.

Contact your TA.

Not sure any other cruise line offers this?

Those people that you may see in the dining room on embarkation day are most likely TA's and/or potential group leaders invited to inspect the ship.;)

I've been on a few Carnival cruises where TA's were invited to spend a few hours on board the ship either at embarkation prior to sailaway, or I've seen tour operators invited aboard the ship in ports.

I think it is an invitation only type thing and the general public isn't allowed to just walk in and ask for the perk.

In every US embarkation port that I've ever been in you couldn't even get into the terminal building unless you had a boarding pass.

I know when the new Carnival Magic comes into the port of Galveston on Sunday, November 13th instead of leaving that same afternoon with passengers for the 1st cruise out of Galveston the ship is going to overnight in Galveston, have some invitation only ceremonial stuff which I think includes an overnight stay on the ship. The departing passengers on Monday will be on a 6 day voyage that misses MoBay, but goes to Grand Cayman and Coz as usual.

I was originally booked to be on the Transatlantic that arrives on 11/13 and very much wanted to be a part of the ceremonial events, but couldn't garner an invitation from anyone that I spoke to and I already have 23 Carnival cruises under my belt.

There is a law called the Passenger Vessel Services Act that would prevent any cruise line from offering a short visit cruise like you're talking about. What happens is that cruise lines offer day passes to travel agents who board the ship for a few hours before a ship starts a cruise, the agents have lunch and tours of the ship. You can tell who these people are because they are given a badge to wear while on board. This cannot be done by someone just asking. It's something offered to special groups only, and it's only for a few hours on embarkation days.

Hi,

two years ago when I boarded the Jewel OTS, I went to the MDR to see where my assigned table was located. When I was there I noticed about three or four tables with guests and some ship's officers dining. I do not know who these people were but they were there and I noticed them leaving the ship before the ship departed.

So there might be some special groups of people that have access to the ship but not the 'every day regular' person.

Wes

Sometimes Officers have personal friends on board for a visit and you may see them lunching together in MDR or Lido. Sometimes you may see TA's on board for a visit/introduction to the ship for lunch and a tour. Officers dining with people could be folks from home office or any other number of 'official' company representatives.

Many cruise lines are quite charitable and three or four tables of people could be recognition for charitable work they have accomplished in conjunction with the cruise line in that given port.

It could be people on a back-to-back and are continuing on the next journey having a special lunch as thanks for their lengthy booking.

Speculation is fun, isn't it? :D

HAL and Cunard are offering ship's tours and lunch for £25 on a few dates at the moment.....I think you can reclaim the money if you book a cruise. Friends are booked with HAL, and someone I know was on a Queen today. I believe that Fred Olsen also does this.

Jo.

Archived