Is the ship's Tracy Arm add-on worth it?

KloieDoog1

My husband and I are booked to do our ship's Tracy Arm add-on excursion in the morning prior to our arrival in Juneau. We have a separate excursion to the Mendenhall Glacier planned for later that day, after our arrival in Juneau.

Is the add-on excursion to Tracy Arm worth doing? I've heard good things, but we're concerned about doing too much in one day, and my husband doesn't want to cut the excursion in Juneau. Any thoughts would be appreciated. We have a balcony cabin, so I wondered if we can get a similar (albeit not as close) view of Tracy Arm that way?

Thanks!

Search the threads here for others opinion.

It is a long excursion with a lot of time outside of the fjord just in transit, that being said.

1) You get a much closer view of the fjord. The excursion is a smaller boat that lets you get water level view of ice, will also sail very close to the edges. We were able to almost touch the walls and feel the spray from the many waterfalls

2) You will get much closer to the glacier. Often with the tide and ice flows you could end up miles away on the cruise ship. You will get closer on the smaller excursion

3) If lucky you will get to see wildlife, YMMV

4) To compare views out of balcony is not fair, totally different prospective. Frankly a balcony IMHO is no different view than the person that did inside and is watching from the open deck.

Its a completely different experience than the Mendenhall glacier, not at all redundant. In my party I was the only one that went, to this day regret not forcing my parents to go.

My husband and I are booked to do our ship's Tracy Arm add-on excursion in the morning prior to our arrival in Juneau. We have a separate excursion to the Mendenhall Glacier planned for later that day, after our arrival in Juneau.

Is the add-on excursion to Tracy Arm worth doing? I've heard good things, but we're concerned about doing too much in one day, and my husband doesn't want to cut the excursion in Juneau. Any thoughts would be appreciated. We have a balcony cabin, so I wondered if we can get a similar (albeit not as close) view of Tracy Arm that way?

Thanks!

562992758_285TracyArmExcursionboatarrives.jpg.3497a9dfbd2ed2a9960d752017a90baa.jpg

1962457382_305SealonTracyArmExcursion.jpg.3c21bbc28479771f4f1fab0116300ad4.jpg

1768256193_350TracyArmExcursion.jpg.62cbdaa9eb0911f3b8b1474002f2f65a.jpg

33642747_370SheerWallofTracyArm.jpg.368392ed031ab2393e30a1dfb1d6dd9f.jpg

312563361_390BearoneinTracyArm.jpg.cc940100d5f496fad7439016f687fab0.jpg

Wife and I were on an small boat trip into Tracy Arm two weeks ago operated by Adventure Bound in Juneau. It was spectacular, especially the time we spent in front of South Sawyer glacier with countless numbers of seals on the ice. Well worth your time.

There is no comparism to the ship transit and a tour boat transit which is grossly superior?? BUT- you are questioning this choice perhaps, and it may not be a priority for you to get these enhanced views??? Think the tour is too costly?? etc etc etc??????

There is also NO comparism to Mendenhall Glacier which in my opinion, is way down the glacier scale. It's forte is the cheap, easy access, not so much the glacier, which overall is pretty dull, compared to all the others I've seen. :)

IF this is cutting into your Juneau time, it will be minimal, and likely you are going to be disembarking with everyone else, on time.

Here is a photo sample I put together a few years ago, to illustrate some difference. The photo of the cruise ship is the closest that ship got and the first view that season of the South Sawyer glacier, which was third week of July. Up until that point, the cruise ship passengers had no glacier view. http://community.webshots.com/user/budgetqueen

If you stay on your ship, the views are forward, so a balcony view may not offer you the view you may want to consider.

Not sure but on our sailing the ship did slow rotation and all sides got a good view as they hung at the end for a good 30' or so, YMMV of course :D

There is no comparism to the ship transit and a tour boat transit which is grossly superior?? BUT- you are questioning this choice perhaps, and it may not be a priority for you to get these enhanced views??? Think the tour is too costly?? etc etc etc??????

There is also NO comparism to Mendenhall Glacier which in my opinion, is way down the glacier scale. It's forte is the cheap, easy access, not so much the glacier, which overall is pretty dull, compared to all the others I've seen. :)

IF this is cutting into your Juneau time, it will be minimal, and likely you are going to be disembarking with everyone else, on time.

Here is a photo sample I put together a few years ago, to illustrate some difference. The photo of the cruise ship is the closest that ship got and the first view that season of the South Sawyer glacier, which was third week of July. Up until that point, the cruise ship passengers had no glacier view. http://community.webshots.com/user/budgetqueen

If you stay on your ship, the views are forward, so a balcony view may not offer you the view you may want to consider.

1841342626_280SawyerGlacier.jpg.0f0986d771de53b3f77648fc38feec9a.jpg

1608362643_335GoldenPrincess.jpg.927e76bc882f1d3cbf953f4ec38e8f9b.jpg

Not sure but on our sailing the ship did slow rotation and all sides got a good view as they hung at the end for a good 30' or so, YMMV of course :D

No offense but your ship is still far from being at the glaciers, this is about as close as all the cruise ships get. Here is a link to photos taken last year on the all day Adventure bound tour, the ship add on will see similar views but you'll save time as you only take the smaller boat one way.

http://tripwow.tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-00a1-df12-1a76

If you don't have time for the all day tour as BQ says the add on is a fantastic option also and way better than what you will see from the cruise ship. As for me I'm doing Adventure Bound again for the 3rd time in about 3 weeks :)

Thanks, everyone. I am looking forward to checking out your photos. We wouldn't have time to do the full day Adventure Bound tour unless we cancel the Mendenhall portion of the day, and my husband was looking forward to our excursion there (we're doing the canoe trip offered by the ship). I'll push for the a.m. Tracy Arm add on, though, as it looks like a can't miss excursion. :D

Budget Queen, to answer your question, the reasons we were second guessing the add-on is due to concern that we won't be back to disembark in Juneau on time (which it sounds like we will) and also because of the added cost. But we'll probably only go to Alaska once in a Blue Moon, so we'd might as well live it up.

yeah, that is why I took the add on to get this :D But even with that it wasn't too close this time.

No offense but your ship is still far from being at the glaciers, this is about as close as all the cruise ships get. Here is a link to photos taken last year on the all day Adventure bound tour, the ship add on will see similar views but you'll save time as you only take the smaller boat one way.

http://tripwow.tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-00a1-df12-1a76

If you don't have time for the all day tour as BQ says the add on is a fantastic option also and way better than what you will see from the cruise ship. As for me I'm doing Adventure Bound again for the 3rd time in about 3 weeks :)

913123650_318AscloseaswecantoSawyerGlacier.jpg.1afa71944b6b446ad0af41f65485ecff.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
This is South Sawyer Glacier two weeks ago. This day trip boat was just heading out as we were heading in. You can get very close on a small vessel if the ice permits.

https://picasaweb.google.com/AlaskaTravelFun/AnchorageSummerWinterMiscellaneous#5632983274028303938

Did you take this picture from your cruise ship? If so, what ship? It is beautiful!

Thank you. We were on a small ship cruise with Alaskan Dream Cruises. This was taken as we were headed to the glacier. The small vessel was just leaving. Glacier Bay is a bit different in that the large cruise ships can get just about as close as the smaller vessels, in Tracy arm it’s a bit tighter and I didn’t see the Princess ship that came in as we were leaving get as close as we did. Sometimes the better photos are from a distance though.

This photo is of North Sawyer Glacier taken the same day.

North%252520Sawyer%252520Glacier%252520Pano.jpg

If you are doing Tracy Arm in the morning and Juneau in the afternoon, you might be on one of the HAL ships. We did the Zuiderdam last month, and that is what we did. The trip to Tracy Arm was nice - scenic views, but we got nowhere near the glaciers (pics and short review here). If you really want to get up to the glaciers in Tracy Arm, you would have to take the tour. If you are satisified with what you see in my photos - well, stay on the ship and enjoy a nice lunch before doing your excursion in Juneau.

Does anyone know if this add on in tracy arm is offered on the star princess in july and what the price is per person? Also is it possible to transfer to the boat for someone in a wheelchair? Is it the same as any other tender boat?

Thank you

Thank you. We were on a small ship cruise with Alaskan Dream Cruises. This was taken as we were headed to the glacier. The small vessel was just leaving. Glacier Bay is a bit different in that the large cruise ships can get just about as close as the smaller vessels, in Tracy arm it’s a bit tighter and I didn’t see the Princess ship that came in as we were leaving get as close as we did. Sometimes the better photos are from a distance though.

This photo is of North Sawyer Glacier taken the same day.

North%252520Sawyer%252520Glacier%252520Pano.jpg

Another beautiful picture! Thanks for telling which ship you were on.

If you are doing Tracy Arm in the morning and Juneau in the afternoon, you might be on one of the HAL ships. We did the Zuiderdam last month, and that is what we did. The trip to Tracy Arm was nice - scenic views, but we got nowhere near the glaciers (pics and short review here). If you really want to get up to the glaciers in Tracy Arm, you would have to take the tour. If you are satisified with what you see in my photos - well, stay on the ship and enjoy a nice lunch before doing your excursion in Juneau.

Good advice. You gave me something to think about. I enjoyed your pictures and review of Tracy Arm.

wow you had no ice when you were there on tracy arm, When I was the in June it was full of ice and all sizes of iceburgs, I was thrilled. We did not get that close to glacier and I was somewhat disappointed as it was main reason I wanted to do Alaska But wow what I saw. I am having problem with my pc I can't load the photo's. I have them in lap top I will try to load from the lap top

Mary

Archived