Carnival Splendor - Opnions

kshawks

For those that have been on the Splendor, what did you think?

First cruise is on her in February 2012, and I'm super excited.

I've tried searching the threads, but jeez there is so much to sniff through.

Favorite thing to do on the ship?

Things to avoid?

Thanks for any replies!

I have 3 weeks until my Splendor cruise. This will be our 2nd time on the Splendor. I loved it, of course it was my first cruise so I had nothing to compare it to. It is pink but didn't bother me at all! My favorite thing to do was sit out on the Lido deck, with a good book, and people watching. There is tons to do onboard. This time around we have an aft balcony. I plan on spending some time out there!

I have 3 weeks until my Splendor cruise. This will be our 2nd time on the Splendor. I loved it, of course it was my first cruise so I had nothing to compare it to. It is pink but didn't bother me at all! My favorite thing to do was sit out on the Lido deck, with a good book, and people watching. There is tons to do onboard. This time around we have an aft balcony. I plan on spending some time out there!

Definitely looking forward spending time on the Lido deck...I unfortunately have an inside room. (I'm poor!) Hopefully I'll get that magical call to upgrade me :-p

We were on the Splendor last October (week before the fire). We had a GREAT time!! Loved the ship so much!! I just booked the Splendor again for Feb 2012. Can't wait. We are in the same room we were in last time on the Lido deck (which is SO nice).

We really liked the adult pool area! We weren't crazy about the large tv screen at the midships pool. They played a LOT of the same pictures (not movies, just picture slide shows from tropical locations) over and over again and the music was SO loud!!

There was a lot of things going on so you can either keep yourself busy, or just relax!

Definitely looking forward spending time on the Lido deck...I unfortunately have an inside room. (I'm poor!) Hopefully I'll get that magical call to upgrade me :-p

We had an inside room on our first cruise as well. The only reason we have a balcony is because my mom is sharing a room with us and I figured 3 in a cabin, we need a balcony. It wasn't that much more than the inside I booked for my kids. DH and I decided our next cruise is just the 2 of us, no kids and no mom! lol

How are the bathrooms in these things...they look so tiny in the pictures. I'm 6' 210 broad shoulders...I bet showering will be fun!

Its not that bad (i'm 6'1 185). Be sure to bring a power stip type extention cord, there is a shortage of power outlets.

We have been on the Splendor 3 times with the 4th coming up in Oct. 1st time we didn't care for her as she is a little hard to get around on til you figure out the deck plans. Since then we love her.

Rotisseri (sp) for lunch is killer and if you go way forward thru the stateroom corridor on deck 9 there is a forward obsevation deck that no one seems to know about and it is just wonderful.

Enjoy

For those that have been on the Splendor, what did you think?

First cruise is on her in February 2012, and I'm super excited.

I've tried searching the threads, but jeez there is so much to sniff through.

Favorite thing to do on the ship?

Things to avoid?

Thanks for any replies!

The Splendor is a STUNNING ship! Some folks complain about the 'pink' (my fiancée tells me it's 'dusty rose'...) that's a bit pervasive but I find it, and the gloss black that it contrasts with, wonderful!

The theme of the ship is 'splendid things' and splendid things adorn her stem to stern. She has a gorgeous main theater and what is probably the most beautiful aft lounge on any ship in the fleet. That lounge is modeled after the amazing El Morocco in New York, long since gone.

The Pinnacle steakhouse if fantastic!!

My dining room was the Golden Pearl at the aft end of the ship... lovely!

I'll add some pictures so you can get an idea of what I found so stunning!!!

IMG_2150.jpg

IMG_2158.jpg

IMG_2162.jpg

IMG_2169.jpg

IMG_2191.jpg

IMG_2193.jpg

The Splendor is a STUNNING ship! Some folks complain about the 'pink' (my fiancée tells me it's 'dusty rose'...)

Wasn't he a wrestler??:confused: I agree with Mach, the Splendor is unique a a wonderful ship. You will have a great cruise on her. The pink theme kind of hits you when you first get on her but gets easier during the week.

I've been on the Splendor a couple of times and love her. It took a few hours to get over the OMG gaudyness, but it didn't really bother me.

One of my favorite places to be in the evening is on the deck just above the pool in one of the little "bump-outs" watching the band and the people dancing.

The hot pastrami sandwiches from the deli are awsome.

I too have positive things to say about the Splendor. W went in 9/09, and just booked again for Sept of this year. Getting around can be interesting at first, but to me thats part of the fun of a cruise. Get lost and see what you can find :D Loved the steakhouse. We actually went twice. Probably could have skipped the second time though. It was Cabo day and we may have over-indulged a tinsy bit on adult beverages. Our server was impressed we even made it in :rolleyes: We were a bit of a mess... Like Mach I enjoyed the decor as well. We were on our honeymoon the first trip so we didn't do alot of the ship activities. We plan on changing that this go round.

Tips: Hmmm aft adults only pool tends to fill up quick on nice days (on our cruise at least), so if you like a seat get there fairly early. There are a ton of dining options from the grill, to burrito bar, to deli, to lido. Try them all. Some were very good. To this day my wife and I still talk about the mashed Yukin Golds they have in the steakhouse...yumm :)

In the end you make the cruise, not the ship. Go in with a good attitude and prepare to have some fun.

Mach, you are making me even more excited! 3 more weeks for me! I am a little homesick looking at your pictures. lol First time we went, I didn't get alot of pictures of the ship. This time I plan on getting some good ones. I was so overwhelmed with the whole experience at times.

One tip I have, it was probably the the 6th day and we noticed this set of stairs by the burrito bar, or somewhere there abouts, and there is an excellent place to eat up there. I can't remember what we had but it was really good and we were shocked that we hadn't been up there. Someone else will remember the name of it here and what they served but make sure you check it out.

Things to avoid?

Thanks for any replies!

Avoid the top level of the showroom. I am 5' tall and my knees were almost touching the seat in front of me.:eek:

Tips: There are a ton of dining options from the grill, to burrito bar, to deli, to lido. Try them all. Some were very good. To this day my wife and I still talk about the mashed Yukin Golds they have in the steakhouse...yumm :)

Also at the pizza station, you can get Caesar salad and garlic bread (must wait 8-10 minutes to cook)

One tip I have, it was probably the the 6th day and we noticed this set of stairs by the burrito bar, or somewhere there abouts, and there is an excellent place to eat up there. I can't remember what we had but it was really good and we were shocked that we hadn't been up there. Someone else will remember the name of it here and what they served but make sure you check it out.

That is where the rotisserie is located. IIRC, it is a quieter up there than down below.

The Splendor is a beautiful ship. We sailed her last August and had a great time. Here are some tips/suggestions:

1. If the Lido buffet is crowded head upstairs to the Rotisserie ... we found it a lot less crowded with plenty of tables to sit at. Also, the chicken was fabulous!

2. Don't neglect to watch a movie on the big screen at least one night. I didn't think I'd like it (I'm on a cruise for crying out loud) but I did! It was fun sitting in the lounge chairs, watching a movie under the stars with the swimming pool sloshing over behind us! :)

3. I agree about the power strips ... the single most important item to pack! There is only one outlet in the cabin and these days with all of our electronics, that just isn't enough.

I have photos of the ship posted (you can find the link in my signature) please feel free to check them out. Have a great time!

I really liked the splendor. The tandori out by the adult pool was very good. The main dining room where anytime dining is gets crowded by the entrance on formal nights. They set up photographers and close off the stairwell. On the deck with the adult pool if you go on the sides there are lounge chairs and also showers for when it gets hot. I can not wait to go again.

I really liked the splendor. The tandori out by the adult pool was very good. The main dining room where anytime dining is gets crowded by the entrance on formal nights. They set up photographers and close off the stairwell. On the deck with the adult pool if you go on the sides there are lounge chairs and also showers for when it gets hot. I can not wait to go again.

Yep... the Tandoor is wonderful! The Splendor was the first ship to have Indian food available for lunch. The folks who worked it were Indian and had brought their stateside family onboard to enjoy it. Fantastic!!!

:)

You guys are so helpful :):cool:

I'm super excited to go on her...wish it was tomorrow!

Mach - Great pics!!!

The pink doesn't really bother me...unless the toilet is pink...then I might have an issue with it :D

Definitely a lot of food places that we have to hit up...is the rotisserie free?

The Splendor is a beautiful ship. We sailed her last August and had a great time. Here are some tips/suggestions:

1. If the Lido buffet is crowded head upstairs to the Rotisserie ... we found it a lot less crowded with plenty of tables to sit at. Also, the chicken was fabulous!

2. Don't neglect to watch a movie on the big screen at least one night. I didn't think I'd like it (I'm on a cruise for crying out loud) but I did! It was fun sitting in the lounge chairs, watching a movie under the stars with the swimming pool sloshing over behind us! :)

3. I agree about the power strips ... the single most important item to pack! There is only one outlet in the cabin and these days with all of our electronics, that just isn't enough.

I have photos of the ship posted (you can find the link in my signature) please feel free to check them out. Have a great time!

Great photos!!!!

Definitely will pack a power strip just in case...

The movie under the stars will be a great time for me and my partner.

Archived