Serious question about passangers.

Thanks for everyone's input.

NO my child will not be left alone; go to pool by herself, buffet or roam the halls alone! If any parent lets their child do that, then they are not a parent at all!!

Don't get me wrong, I am not some crazy over protective mother. I just want to make sure that my daughter is safe & I don't want to have to worry about some pervert staring at my daughter play in a pool while she's in her bathign suit. It's happened at a beach before & I almost stabbed the basterd in his eyes!!!

OP your concern for your child's wellbeing and safety is admirable. I think with your protectiveness that your child will be as safe as anywhere you take her. The sad part is that as hard as you try you may not be able to keep her from all harm but it certainly won't be from your lack of trying so go on your cruise and relax, she has a very loving and caring parent that will do their very best to give her a safe childhood.

I'm sorry to say your comment above does sound like a "crazy over-protective mother". I wasn't there so I have no idea what gave you the indication that this person "staring" at your daughter was a pervert. Or just someone like lots of people I know that revel in the energy of a young child. My husband and/or I could spend hours watching young energetic children play. Trust me we are not perverts in any way we just miss those days when our children we little and full of life and wonder.

As I said I wasn't there but if there is any chance that you may have misread the situation then I would really like to advise you to find a happy balance between normal parental protection and over the top.

I understand you are a very protective mother and that is great, so please don't take this the wrong way......If you are concerned about your kids safety, then why do you show pics of your young children in your signature along with the upcoming cruise you have planned on a very public website??? I have always been curious why parents post pics of their young kids on here and Facebook and all the other public sites, but then they are always worried about their safety.....There is no way I would ever post pictures of my young kids on a public website then advertise where and when I will be on vacation with them.

That's a fair question ;) Because I am overprotective doesn't mean I am paralyzed by fear. I write a blog about our experiences. So I have always been a very public and open person around here. :)

Thanks for everyone's input.

NO my child will not be left alone; go to pool by herself, buffet or roam the halls alone! If any parent lets their child do that, then they are not a parent at all!!

Don't get me wrong, I am not some crazy over protective mother. I just want to make sure that my daughter is safe & I don't want to have to worry about some pervert staring at my daughter play in a pool while she's in her bathign suit. It's happened at a beach before & I almost stabbed the basterd in his eyes!!!

Someone also mentioned about a SO getting a passport. Not all cruises require a passport. All you need is a birth certificate and a photo i.d.

So do you propose a CBC on every cruise passenger? What if someone paid their debt to society? Should they be banned from a cruise?

Crime doesn't take vacations, but criminals do!

This quote is so true, most people have a tendancy to forget that when they go on vacation. I guess it's just human nature to want to believe when we are trying to relax and enjoy that whereever we choose to go is going to be lacking in the reality that crime is everyone.

I remember a post not long ago at the shock of people that Bermuda wasn't as safe as they always "thought" it was.

A reminder from things like this post can sometimes zap people into the reality that you can never be totally safe or let your radar down.

Many of these crimes on cruise ships such as "rape" are due to the "victim" drinking or having round heels. Why would any single woman go into a man's room with a guy she barely met? Why is it necessary to drink yourself into insensibility. It is always necessary to keep your wits about you. There is no need to think that rapists and perverts are around every corner, but if you are paying attention, you don't need to worry about it. Pay attention to your children. Pay attention to yourself.

That is blaming the victim..no matter how intoxicated or "loose" woman is that does not mean she asked for it or any other justification u want to use..rape and sexual assault is very serious and the perpetrator is the one to blame NOT the victim

A kind of random thought. We know that sex offenders have a predisposition to breaking the law. Why would we presume to think that the same sex offender would be predisposed to following the law that says they need to register and give "the law" their whereabouts?

I cannot site the exact statistics (and am too tired and lazy at the moment to google it), but it is a FAR bigger number of children that are victimized by their family than by a stranger. Think about it. EVERY time a child is snatched by a stranger, it makes national news. This is why I think most people are so terrified by the "boogeyman" that the news would have you think is lurking around every corner of every street (and every lido deck, apparently). Do we hear about every child that is victimized by their family on CNN? I think not.

That is blaming the victim..no matter how intoxicated or "loose" woman is that does not mean she asked for it or any other justification u want to use..rape and sexual assault is very serious and the perpetrator is the one to blame NOT the victim

I agree with what you are saying that no one "deserves" or "asks" for something to happen to them. However there are parts of her post I do agree with

Why would any single woman go into a man's room with a guy she barely met? Why is it necessary to drink yourself into insensibility. It is always necessary to keep your wits about you. There is no need to think that rapists and perverts are around every corner, but if you are paying attention, you don't need to worry about it. Pay attention to your children. Pay attention to yourself.

With taking her first sentence away she has very good points. By getting too tipsy and/or blindly going alone into a man's room that you just met you are setting yourself up to possible risk. Which brings back to some of the posts regarding seeing very young children wandering the ship alone. It's not whether the child is capable of doing this or not, whether it's wrong or right where your parenting skills are concerned. But allowing your child to be put into more risky situation with a ship full of 2000+ adult strangers.

You don't have to live your life in fear or paranoia but some common sense choices will give you a much better chance of being safe.

A kind of random thought. We know that sex offenders have a predisposition to breaking the law. Why would we presume to think that the same sex offender would be predisposed to following the law that says you need to register and give "the law" their whereabouts?

I cannot site the exact statistics (and am too tired and lazy at the moment to google it), but it is a FAR bigger number of children that are victimized by their family than by a stranger. Think about it. EVERY time a child is snatched by a stranger, it makes national news. This is why I think most people are so terrified by the "boogeyman" that the news would have you think is lurking around every corner of every street (and every lido deck, apparently). Do we hear about every child that is victimized by their family on CNN? I think not.

I agree with this very much. But the OP's question goes on the assumption that if they check for SO that this would make her little one safe. How many weirdos are there out there that have never been caught or even reported. Every SO have started sometime, someplace, somewhere. There is nothing written in stone that says that a particular weirdo wouldn't pick that cruise to start their sordid life.

Somehow this rule that they are suppose to notify of their whereabouts is just giving people false hope as far as I'm concerned. To me don't live like danger is waiting to pounce but just be aware of you and your childs surroundings and you will live much safer.

How about a check for thieves, murders, gays, Arabs, and people who wear jeans when they definitely shouldn't. Of course, there are checks run. But everything on a ship other than (I hope) the bathrooms are on video camera all the time. What do you think is going to happen? Where would the perpetrator go? Over the side? Please.

Many of these crimes on cruise ships such as "rape" are due to the "victim" drinking or having round heels. Why would any single woman go into a man's room with a guy she barely met? Why is it necessary to drink yourself into insensibility. It is always necessary to keep your wits about you. There is no need to think that rapists and perverts are around every corner, but if you are paying attention, you don't need to worry about it. Pay attention to your children. Pay attention to yourself.

These posts are BOTh offensive. I'm not thrilled as a gay man being lumped together with thieves & murderers.....

And blame the victim is about the most offensive response to rape, possible.

I'm very surprised these posts are still here....

These posts are BOTh offensive. I'm not thrilled as a gay man being lumped together with thieves & murderers.....

Bravo! I agree, sjbdtz!

What happened to those little LIKE buttons that were here a couple weeks ago?

What happened to those little LIKE buttons that were here a couple weeks ago?

Good question, Lowtyd! Not that they were very useful, but this would have been a good place for them! Perhaps it was an experiment that failed? :confused:

Good question, Lowtyd! Not that they were very useful, but this would have been a good place for them! Perhaps it was an experiment that failed? :confused:

The like buttons didn't do anything except post a link of the thread to Cruise critics facebook page.

The like buttons didn't do anything except post a link of the thread to Cruise critics facebook page.

Exactly - that's what I meant by not very useful. It was just advertising without any real comment on the particular post. I'd prefer real "like" buttons. :)

Archived