Oceania vs. Seabourn

Bornatravelingman

We are in cruise planning mode. We have been on Seabourn before and loved it - some friends were telling us about good experiences on Oceania, however they had never been on Seabourn so they could not compare. I am interested in hearing from folks who have been on both and can offer a comparison of the good and the bad (if there is any).

Thanks

I'll save you the trouble of "researching" anything. Five sailings each on Searborn and Oceania.

Stopped sailing Seabourn because of their continued absurd smoking policy. From what I've been told by a good friend who will not sail any other line, Seabourn has modified their smoking policy, but not much.

They also still have a dress code, which we found objectionable. Formal ware just didn't do it for us anymore.

Their suites are not that big...better than O's standard cabin. Would take a PH over a standard Seabourn suite any day.

Food and service was great...maybe a tad better than O because of the size of the ships. But not that much better. The 3 older ships have only one alternate dining venue. Can not speak for the newer ships.

If you like an all inclusive environment, than Seabourn is for you. I like O because you can pick and choose what you want. I could not do Seabourn now because I'd probably end up in Rehab....the alcohol does flow freely.

Because Seabourn is all inclusive, it probably would cost more. They do have good deals, since we still get their literature.

Bottom line:we prefer O because of the "country casual dress code", single open seating, which also includes the specialty restaurants....and very limited smoking.

I'll save you the trouble of "researching" anything. Five sailings each on Searborn and Oceania.

Stopped sailing Seabourn because of their continued absurd smoking policy. From what I've been told by a good friend who will not sail any other line, Seabourn has modified their smoking policy, but not much.

They also still have a dress code, which we found objectionable. Formal ware just didn't do it for us anymore.

Their suites are not that big...better than O's standard cabin. Would take a PH over a standard Seabourn suite any day.

Food and service was great...maybe a tad better than O because of the size of the ships. But not that much better. The 3 older ships have only one alternate dining venue. Can not speak for the newer ships.

If you like an all inclusive environment, than Seabourn is for you. I like O because you can pick and choose what you want. I could not do Seabourn now because I'd probably end up in Rehab....the alcohol does flow freely.

Because Seabourn is all inclusive, it probably would cost more. They do have good deals, since we still get their literature.

Bottom line:we prefer O because of the "country casual dress code", single open seating, which also includes the specialty restaurants....and very limited smoking.

I agree with every point you made, Seabourn was one of my favorites until O came along with all the changes..being from California we like the very relaxed atmosphere and almost non smoking enviroment..

Jancruz1

I recently experienced my second SB cruise and would echo the comments made above. The atmosphere on board seemed "stuffy" to us, in particular the dress code for evenings. Interesting were the concerns expressed to me by ship's officers and onboard entertainers about the perceived " Holland America creep". SB's head office has recently been folded into the HA's head office in Seattle resulting in changes that some SB regulars don't like.

I recently experienced my second SB cruise and would echo the comments made above. The atmosphere on board seemed "stuffy" to us, in particular the dress code for evenings. Interesting were the concerns expressed to me by ship's officers and onboard entertainers about the perceived " Holland America creep". SB's head office has recently been folded into the HA's head office in Seattle resulting in changes that some SB regulars don't like.

We experienced a similar slippage when Carnival took over HAL. It broke our hearts because we had been sailing with them forever (Jims' Mariner # only has 4 digits).

In fact, when we first noticed your post about "Holland America Creep" we wondered, for a moment, if you were making an editorial comment about Stein Kruse, whose message completely eludes us.

When Kirk Lanterman was the man in charge, HAL had an amazing product; now it seems nothing more than Carnival with better decor and fresh flowers.

The "watering down" hasn't reached that point at SB........yet.

I am glad to hear that as we will be on our first Seabourn in September - we'd better hurry :D

Paul-

I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Just one caveat. We LOVED SB room service at breakfast and lunch, but found it oddly lackluster at dinner.

If you've booked anything above a veranda, use your clout to do something special in one of the restaurants, rather than staying in.

Very interesting post in that I see HAL & SB like night and day. Can some one elucidate on what exactly is "HAL Creep" and how it is affecting SB?:confused:

BTW - the last time we sailed HAL was on the Rotterdam VI in 1998. A Black Sea cruise on a very nice ship.

Paul,

Don't worry. Imo, Seabourn is still the best line out there. In the interest of fairness and because these boards are populated by such partisans the OP should post the same thread on the Seabourn board.

Truth is one will have a great time on either line. These obsessive comparisons mostly endorse peoples' own preconceptions.

I am glad to hear that as we will be on our first Seabourn in September - we'd better hurry :D

Yes, I wish you would hurry up, because I am looking forward to your comparisons and trip reports of two lines doing a similar itinerary in the same season. :)

Yes, I wish you would hurry up, because I am looking forward to your comparisons and trip reports of two lines doing a similar itinerary in the same season. :)

I have never done full trip reports and it is not likely that I will do so now.

However, I do like to speak my mind and I will most likely post some of my impressions and comparissons on this B2B cruise on the 2 cruise lines. :)

I have never done full trip reports and it is not likely that I will do so now.

However, I do like to speak my mind and I will most likely post some of my impressions and comparissons on this B2B cruise on the 2 cruise lines. :)

I'm looking forward to whatever you share. I've not cruised on Seabourn before.

Archived