Venice-Names omitted (true story)

lcmdir

Names omitted to protect the innocent/guilty?

Monday, Aug. 1

Wow, our day in Venice turned up surprises. We got to sleep in late as the ship didn’t dock until 2 p.m. This meant we got to watch as we sailed into Venice. It was beautiful. Our excursion left right away. We used a water taxi to get to our first stop, a beautiful cathedral that seemed to be on an island of it’s own. Next we docked and walked to the gondola pier. First problem - me getting into the gondola. I fell into the boat, hitting my knee on the way down. The ride was nice, especially when we were into the quiet small canals off the Grand Canal. Now getting out was also a trial. I found out from a man on our boat that they didn’t tie it up but expected people to hop onto the step. Well, when I was trying to step out the boat started away from the dock and I fell back into the boat. This time one foot went into the water. I finally got out. I think I will never go on such a ride again!

We walked back to the water taxi (think bus on water) and went to what I really was looking forward to - the glass blowing island. We got a tour and then were allowed a short time to browse the showroom and display rooms. I bought myself the most beautiful necklace. It has over 40 beads, is long. I know I’ll enjoy wearing it.

We exited the tour near St. Mark’s Square rather then return directly to the ship. We were four stairs from the Square. Now, here is our second problem of the day. (X doesn’t want this story to be told to her children, so keep it under wraps.) X was waiting for me and was “in the way” for a guy wanting to take a picture. He kept giving her dirty looks, so she told him she would step out of the way and stepped right off the dock into the canal, People were there to pull her out but we know her camera and probably the simm card on her iphone were soaked. She was alright but wet. Nice people who owned the restaurant next to us invited her in to dry off some. They were so nice.

We then decided to just walk back to the cruise ship tender area. I did get some pictures and X’s memory card was fine. She didn’t lose any pictures! We had some wine, some late dinner and decided to go to bed. Then poor X started throwing up big time. Once she had finished, I called to have the bathroom cleaned up and the hazard team showed up. They wore white suits, gloves and masks and complety sanitized the room! What a day.

Tuesday, July 2

We decided not to go on the excursion we planned as neither of us felt up to it. X went to the Medical Center. She got some antibiotics and something for her stomach. I was told to take it easy and take the pain pills I have. I took one and feel so much better. Food has stayed down so I think X is on the way too. We’ve left Venice and are on our way to Kotor, Montenegro, our last stop. I did a little onboard shopping and am planning to go to the dining room tonight to help celebrate one of our table mate’s birthday.

We own a boat, so I know when we have guests that arent familiar with them we are always VERY careful getting them on and off...... and we live on a canal (with our boat out back) so you too must be careful about where you are at all times..... havent fallen in but we do swim in it so its clean and safe.

Seems the cards were against you on this visit to Venice...... hope the rest of the trip goes better !

I'm the op, related to the original writer, am in symphony with their trials, and so happy they are both OK!! However, have to admit when I read the email I laughed so hard I cried. They will too once they get over the trauma -- a week, a month, a year from now?

the (bad) relative

This definetely was NOT the post for me to read. We are going to Venice at the end of September. I am so looking forward to it but am apprehensive about the vaporettos and the gondolas because I have a fear of the water and obviously do not know how to swim. Yes, I do cruise 4 or 5 times a year but I feel safe knowing I won't fall off a cruise ship. However I have a fear about getting onto a boat that will move when I get on it - and now my fears are confirmed! I can actually fall in when getting in a gondola (my husband thinks we HAVE to do this while in Venice).

OK, I did laugh when I read the story but....don't want the same to happen to me. Someone tell me that this person was just very unlucky.

Marianne

This definetely was NOT the post for me to read. We are going to Venice at the end of September. I am so looking forward to it but am apprehensive about the vaporettos and the gondolas because I have a fear of the water and obviously do not know how to swim. Yes, I do cruise 4 or 5 times a year but I feel safe knowing I won't fall off a cruise ship. However I have a fear about getting onto a boat that will move when I get on it - and now my fears are confirmed! I can actually fall in when getting in a gondola (my husband thinks we HAVE to do this while in Venice).

OK, I did laugh when I read the story but....don't want the same to happen to me. Someone tell me that this person was just very unlucky.

Marianne

Keep in mind that getting on and off the vaporettos (water buses) is very easy with no steps. This is different from a Gondola which is merely a small boat. That being said, even getting in a gondola is not very difficult for most folks.

Hank

FTL cruisers how can you live in Florida and not be able to swim. My D.W. used to have the same fears but over the years has gotten better by slowly getting in the water . She learned to swim(not great but good enough)late in life and it has helped her get over the fear.

I'm the op, related to the original writer, am in symphony with their trials, and so happy they are both OK!! However, have to admit when I read the email I laughed so hard I cried. They will too once they get over the trauma -- a week, a month, a year from now?

the (bad) relative

Now you have me curious as to what was the reaction of the guy giving them the dirty looks, the one who precipitated the fall into the big drink? I hope the *!*@ felt awful about what happened!

FTL cruisers how can you live in Florida and not be able to swim. My D.W. used to have the same fears but over the years has gotten better by slowly getting in the water . She learned to swim(not great but good enough)late in life and it has helped her get over the fear.

Moved to FL 10 years ago. My uncle threw me in the ocean when I was very small - I still remember tumbling around, getting cut up by the shells/small rocks, and not being able to stand up because the waves kept hitting me. To this day, I can't stand water splashed in my face - I even take a shower facing away from the water. I know it sounds silly but fear is hard to overcome. I have been taking water aerobics for the past few months (doesn't seem like something I'd do, does it?) but it gives me a higher level of comfort in the water but does not "cure" me. I do not pick up both feet off the bottom of the pool. I think I need a psychiatrist!!!

BTW Hank, thanks for the reassurance about the vaporetto.

Marianne

FTL cruiser good luck with your Aerobics. I dont think you need a psychiarist .I know people with the same fears it more common than you might think. On the east coast this year it has been very hot( like Florida)and there have been a lot of drownings it is very sad to see this on the news every night. I have heard that children in Florida learn to swim in grade school is that true if so it save lives .

the (bad) relative

lol

Names omitted to protect the innocent/guilty?

Monday, Aug. 1

Wow, our day in Venice turned up surprises. We got to sleep in late as the ship didn’t dock until 2 p.m. This meant we got to watch as we sailed into Venice. It was beautiful. Our excursion left right away. We used a water taxi to get to our first stop, a beautiful cathedral that seemed to be on an island of it’s own. Next we docked and walked to the gondola pier. First problem - me getting into the gondola. I fell into the boat, hitting my knee on the way down. The ride was nice, especially when we were into the quiet small canals off the Grand Canal. Now getting out was also a trial. I found out from a man on our boat that they didn’t tie it up but expected people to hop onto the step. Well, when I was trying to step out the boat started away from the dock and I fell back into the boat. This time one foot went into the water. I finally got out. I think I will never go on such a ride again!

We walked back to the water taxi (think bus on water) and went to what I really was looking forward to - the glass blowing island. We got a tour and then were allowed a short time to browse the showroom and display rooms. I bought myself the most beautiful necklace. It has over 40 beads, is long. I know I’ll enjoy wearing it.

We exited the tour near St. Mark’s Square rather then return directly to the ship. We were four stairs from the Square. Now, here is our second problem of the day. (X doesn’t want this story to be told to her children, so keep it under wraps.) X was waiting for me and was “in the way” for a guy wanting to take a picture. He kept giving her dirty looks, so she told him she would step out of the way and stepped right off the dock into the canal, People were there to pull her out but we know her camera and probably the simm card on her iphone were soaked. She was alright but wet. Nice people who owned the restaurant next to us invited her in to dry off some. They were so nice.

We then decided to just walk back to the cruise ship tender area. I did get some pictures and X’s memory card was fine. She didn’t lose any pictures! We had some wine, some late dinner and decided to go to bed. Then poor X started throwing up big time. Once she had finished, I called to have the bathroom cleaned up and the hazard team showed up. They wore white suits, gloves and masks and complety sanitized the room! What a day.

Tuesday, July 2

We decided not to go on the excursion we planned as neither of us felt up to it. X went to the Medical Center. She got some antibiotics and something for her stomach. I was told to take it easy and take the pain pills I have. I took one and feel so much better. Food has stayed down so I think X is on the way too. We’ve left Venice and are on our way to Kotor, Montenegro, our last stop. I did a little onboard shopping and am planning to go to the dining room tonight to help celebrate one of our table mate’s birthday.

On our first cruise to Venice, we were told by a local that if we fell in the water we would need to go immediately to a doctor and get an antibiotic. Venice is sinking and I wouldn't trust their sewer system! I'm sorry you had so much bad luck on this trip.

Marianne

You can go all over Venice without getting on a boat! There are hundreds of bridges you can walk over. We've been at least 5 times and have never felt the need to take a boat or water taxi.

Marianne

Not to worry.....I am the world's biggest clutz (just ask my DH) and I didn't have any problems getting in and out of the gondola. Just remember that there are canals everywhere and be careful where you walk.

Archived