Oasis July 23-30th Trip Report or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Boat

Background and The Drive to Florida or: “I don’t think they have cars like that back home”

I’ll start with a little history so that you know where my experiences and opinions came from. My family consists of me and my wife (late 30’s and early 40’s) and our 11 year old son. As he has grown up, we have taken lots of trips to Disney and Universal, we just assume our summer vacation is going to somehow involve driving down from central North Carolina to Florida every year, sometimes twice a year. We had taken two cruises over the years on Royal’s older small ships and had been a little bored. After a Disney cruise in 09 and the Freedom of the Seas last summer, we have determined that the ship is extremely important to the enjoyment of our cruise. We (I) like to be active, we want great entertainment and our son wants lots of kids to play with (as an only child, he has no problem making friends). This past March, we went on the Disney Dream and had been researching and looking forward to it for months. Ultimately, we left the ship disappointed so we were hesitant to book another pricey new ship that might disappoint us. After tons of research, we decided to go ahead and give the Oasis a try.

We piled in the car early Friday morning and started our semi-annual trip south. The drive was uneventful and we got to the hotel I reserved in Melbourne earlier than we expected. Turns out the hotel was right next door to a movie theater so we grabbed dinner at Olive Garden (I know, I know, there is a reason this TR is not called “The Ultimate Dinning Guide to the Oasis of the Seas Part II) and went to see Harry Potter. Great way to start the trip out.

Up early the next morning, heading down the road, we enter into the outskirts of Fort Lauderdale and I happened to see a Ferrari coming up behind us. We travel next to it a while and then a Lamborghini pulls up beside him. Needless to say, the drivers had to prove which one was bigger, I mean faster, so they took off down the road. My son loved the show and wanted to know why we don’t see cars like that in our hometown.

Pulled in Port Everglades around 11:15 and parked at Park n’ Go. We had gotten a great rate online with them and I was really impressed with their service. A shuttle followed us to our parking spot, loaded the luggage and had us at the port in 10 minutes.

I can’t say enough about how smooth and efficient the boarding is for this ship. I timed it, from walking in the front doors to walking onto the ship, it took 18 minutes. Creates a great first impression. Next up: Day 1 or: Wow, just wow

Why can't the entire post be together. Just write it all, then copy and paste. I love the reviews, just don't have the patience to wait for the entire story. lol Now I will need to subscribe to this thread so I don't miss a thing. Thanks to the OP for soaking up another night on CC. :)

We walked into the Promenade and were just amazed at the size and how great it looks. The fountains under the Rising Tide Bar create a really cool spot to come into. We discussed were to eat lunch and decided to stick with tradition and just go to The Windjammer. I’ve read several times about how crazy and crowed The Windjammer is but that must be time dependant, we walked in right at noon and had our pick of tables at the windows. What can I say about the food, it’s buffet food, it’s fine, whatever.

We went to our room a little before 1:00 and it was ready. We were in 12726, which was the next to last balcony room near the back. We like being near the back because it seems to cut down on traffic in the hall. Turns out it worked out even better because most of the places we went were in back and we were just a couple feet away from one of the “secret” Aqua Theater balconies.

We took off to explore the ship, first up, the Boardwalk. This is such a fun area and the level of detail is fantastic. My wife and I both felt the ship had a Disney level of detail to it, nothing has been overlooked or forgotten, from the funhouse mirrors on the way out to the Boardwalk to birds chirping in Central Park. My son saw the Donut Shop and was really excited he could get “free” donuts all day. I saw the Boardwalk bar and was really excited I could get “cold” drinks all day. We got a donut and a couple Lava Flows and walked around. The Aqua Theater is such a great idea, we loved going to shows in this venue.

We then explored the pool deck, the sports deck (two Flow Riders, wonderful!), the kids club, and the Solarium. The Solarium is absolutely beautiful and my wife and I were really looking forward to hanging out there but, we then found an area that became out “go to” hang out, Central Park. This area is so well done and such a cool concept, plus having the Central Park Café in it, we really enjoyed spending relaxing mornings and evenings there.

Next up, safety drill in the Aqua Theater and then get ready for dinner. For some reason, the ship was a little late leaving port so we missed being able to see us sailing out while we were at dinner. First night’s dinner is always a little crazy but our wait staff handled it very well. I had the Mexican soup and Prime Rib, my wife had the soup and the pork medallions, the soup was great, the meats were good.

We wandered around a little after dinner and then went pretty early to the Aqua Theater because we wanted to make sure we got the better chairs for my wife’s bad back. I had reserved all our shows before hand and had purposely chosen Oasis of Dreams for the first night because I knew the kids club wouldn’t be open and I wanted a show my son would enjoy. Mission accomplished, this show is spectacular. The diving and the trampoline tricks would be fun to watch on dry land, but the fact that you are on a ship in the ocean watching this just makes it all the more enjoyable. After the show we went to the Promenade for a pizza and cookie (I love me some coconut ranger) snack. Then up to the room to relax a little and bed. It was a great first day. Next up: Day 2 or: Not so tough choice, musical theater or drinks by the pool.

Why can't the entire post be together. Just write it all, then copy and paste. I love the reviews, just don't have the patience to wait for the entire story. lol Now I will need to subscribe to this thread so I don't miss a thing. Thanks to the OP for soaking up another night on CC. :)

:D Is subscribing a special way to find a thread in the future ,dont want to miss the rest

Gail

Yes, thanks to OP for the review. But I concur, please feel free to put it all in one post. It's not that difficult - simply copy and paste and boom, you're done. Members can decide for themselves if they want to read it or not. Just a suggestion. Thanks.

Also a line space between paragraphs would make it a lot easier to read. :)

:D Is subscribing a special way to find a thread in the future ,dont want to miss the rest

Gail

In the original post go to thread tools on the right hand side drop down box. You can have it send you an email when someone adds a post to this thread.

Sorry for the delay guys, my unmowed yard is treatening to take over the house if I don't do something. I'll try to get another post up tonight but it may be tomorrow before I can get to it. Returning to real life sucks.

I'll try to work on the formating of the posts also, it didn't come over right when I cut and paste for some reason.

Thanks for reading.

Thanks for taking the time to allow us to "join you on your cruise". I plan to do this when I am on her in 12 days. I feel these reviews let those of us not on a cruise either help us remember our last one, or look forward to our next one. They reduce the anxiousness and withdraw of us not doing what we love enough and that is CRUISING!

In the original post go to thread tools on the right hand side drop down box. You can have it send you an email when someone adds a post to this thread.

never knew you could do that just make this addiction that much more fun,

Gail

Sorry for the delay guys, my unmowed yard is treatening to take over the house if I don't do something. I'll try to get another post up tonight but it may be tomorrow before I can get to it. Returning to real life sucks.

I'll try to work on the formating of the posts also, it didn't come over right when I cut and paste for some reason.

Thanks for reading.

Once you cut and paste and it eliminates the spacing, you can click on "Preview Post" and there is the opportunity to edit below the preview window. You can then Preview again and make sure it looks like you want.

Dear Homegrown,

First thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed report. It makes it feel like we are on the ship with you and your family.

Second, third and fourth. Continue doing your post your way. If you want to post your review in daily sections..do it! If you don't want to worry about the lines in-between paragraphs, that's perfect.

Let the poster do their review their way.....not yours :):):)

(all said with tongue in cheek...well OK, with a little seriousness)

You are doing a great job. Looking forward to the next segments.

Homegrown thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am enjoying your review.

Don't pay any attention to the rude posters that seem to not appreciate your effort of doing it your way.

We woke up on our first day at sea shortly before room service delivered breakfast. One of my wife’s favorite things to do on a cruise is to have breakfast on our balcony. I have coffee and a pastry or two with her and then I take our son to the Windjammer for, as hobbits call it, “second breakfast”. We were up there at around 8:30, and once again had our choice of tables. Once again, it’s buffet food, it’s fine, whatever.

My son and I then went to the Flowrider to do some boogie boarding. They were just finishing up a private session at nine so we were the first in line. We were the only ones there for probably 15 minutes and then it was he and I on one side and a group of three on the other. It stayed this way for an hour. Seriously. We got to ride more in that hour than we did the entire week on the Freedom. If you have ridden a flowrider before, you know that it beats you up pretty good. After an hour of nonstop riding, we were sore and more than a little bruised. The tops of both my feet were rubbed raw from dragging them while I boarded. My son and I then played in the pool for a while and then went back to the room to change. We met my wife in Central Park at 11:45 and went to the Park Café for lunch. This place is such a simple idea but it works great. She and I both had salads and the “famous” roast beef sandwiches. I was really expecting to be let down by the sandwich but it lived up to the hype, really tasty.

We then went down to the Promenade for the Rocking Rhythm Nation parade. It was pretty good, nothing I would plan my day around though. My son then went to the kids club and my wife and I went to the Solarium. We found some comfortable chairs and I went to the bar to get us some drinks. I order her a Pina Colada and look to see what they have on draft…… and look…..and look…...No draft beer in the Solarium? This is going to be a problem! So I order a Stella and mope back to our seats. We read and relax and after a while, I hike down to the Globe and Atlas to get a proper beer, Murphy’s Stout on draft. It was getting close to 2:30 by now and we had reservations for the 2:30 show of Hairspray. My wife and I are not fans of musicals (what is the opposite word for fan? Whatever that is, that describes us) but I had made reservations at all the shows “just in case”. We weighed the pros and cons of drinks by the pool versus musical theater and drinks won out. After more reading, relaxing and a second trip to the Globe and Atlas, we had another debate on having to get dressed-up for formal night. The one thing about cruising that we are not too crazy about is having to dress up for dinner every night. I dress up every day for work, so it’s not on the top of my list of favorite things to do on vacation. We decided to just do the Windjammer so went and got our son, showered and changed (shorts, T-shirt and flip-flops, thank you) and hit the Windjammer. You know the drill, it’s buffet, it was fine, whatever.

After dinner, our son went back to the kids club and we wandered around the Promenade shops for a little while. We had reservations at the comedy club at 9:00 and went on in a little early to get good seats. Our two comedians were very funny and not PC at all. I’m really kind of surprised Royal is willing to have comedians like this on board because I’m sure it generates some complaints but we really enjoyed being able to go to an “adult” comedy show. Afterwards, our son met us at the room and we headed to the promenade for snack time. When we got back to the room, we went out on the “secret” balcony and the 10:45 show of Oasis of Dreams was just starting so we sat out there and watched it from a different perspective. It was very interesting to see what went on under water during the show. After that, time for bed. Up Next: Day 3 or: Hangin’ with a bunch of 11 year olds.

When we got back to the room, we went out on the “secret” balcony and the 10:45 show of Oasis of Dreams was just starting so we sat out there and watched it from a different perspective. It was very interesting to see what went on under water during the show.

Thanks for the review. I'm shocked that no one complained about my way too long Allure review...I must have set them up for you!

I wanted to check out the secret balconies during a show, but with two young kids, it just wasn't happening. Did you enjoy it from up there or was it just OK? No one has really talked about whether the shows are any good from there, only that you can see them.

Up early the next morning, heading down the road, we enter into the outskirts of Fort Lauderdale and I happened to see a Ferrari coming up behind us.

Great trip report!!! I thought that you were going to write that Christie Brinkley was driving the Ferrari and started hitting on you while your family was sleeping in the car. Ala Clark Griswold. :)

Love the line when Ellen asks, "Is that what you really want Clark?"

Clark:"Ummmmm.........no honey,...........I want.......you..." :D

Thanks for the review. I'm shocked that no one complained about my way too long Allure review...I must have set them up for you!

I wanted to check out the secret balconies during a show, but with two young kids, it just wasn't happening. Did you enjoy it from up there or was it just OK? No one has really talked about whether the shows are any good from there, only that you can see them.

We did enjoy it, but I would see it first from the theater, it would ruin some of the tricks by being able to see the under water activity. Later in the week, we watched a movie from there and it was very enjoyable, there is even a speaker up there so we could hear everything.

Archived